Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 4: Heart of Darkness

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 4: Heart of Darkness

Post by Breila »

(Ouragana is done as well)
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Val is finished once she brings back sushi.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Areilon tucks the pouch under her shirt, right next to her silver cross, quite pleased with herself.

The ship sails into the night, Boffi eager to get back to Vaneil as soon as possible. Soon, the party goes to bed to get some rest.

The next day is boring, but rainy. It just pours all day and night. The crew set up barrels to collect some of it, and the winds never get too fierce, so the ship continues along its intended path, just soaking wet.

By the following day, the rain has finally stopped. It is during the day, shortly after breakfast has finished. The party splits up to do their own thing. The captain stands by the wheel, calling out orders to his crew. Ouragana heads to the bow of the ship and looks out at the horizon, still feeling confused on whether she did the right thing or not.

Movement below catches her eye, and she looks down into the water. Something is clearly moving around down there. A dolphin? Mermaid? Peering carefully, she instead sees some kind of fishfolk creature. It scowls up at her, before darting underneath the ship's keel.

============

It is Darkday, Agate 23 at 11:00 AM.

(OOC: Each player should describe where she is currently at during this time.)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Arei stands at the stern, near the captain, she wanted to help Oura but didn't know how.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Ouragana calls out, as loud as her thin voice allows. "Oy! There is some fishfolk around here!" She moves away from the bow, to tell what she saw to the nearest officer, knowing that her voice doesn't carry.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn is on the right side of the side, just absently looking down at the water. Though, she does take the time to look up when Ouragana shouts out.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

As it turns out, the nearest officer is the first mate--the storm sorcerer Ouragana spoke to earlier.

"Whoa, whoa," she says, suddenly alarmed. "Fishfolk? Locathah or Sahuagin?" Before Ouragana can answer, she continues. "Wait, Locathah wouldn't be this far out into the open ocean, they prefer to stay near coastal regions," she says, rubbing her chin. "That must mean..."

"Captain!" she shouts at the top of her voice. "Sahuagin!"

"Shit!" the captain responds. "All hands on deck! Battle stations! Prepare to repel boarders!" he starts yelling.

Ouragana had studied some of the races of Mer, the common name for the world beneath the waves. The Locathah were a race of peaceful fishfolk that mostly kept to themselves and had little interest in the surface world. The Sahuagin, on the other hand, had a well-earned reputation as vicious monsters. Sometimes called 'sea devils,' they take great pleasure in causing pain to other living creatures and often raid coastal villages, killing and eating innocents, more for fun than anything else.

The crew, including Andar and the officers, arm themselves and take positions around the ship. The halfling quartermaster, however, instead climbs up the mast, shimmies over to one of the branches, and readies a short bow.

================

(OOC: Okay, you'll have to bear with me with this map. The paint program on Horizon's computer, which I am borrowing until my own is repaired, is somewhat more primitive. Long story short, I had to manually draw in the letters and numbers that represent the combatants.

If you can't tell, Oren, Grey and Sailors 1 and 2 are at the bow; Andar, Sailor 3 and Sailor 4 are on the port side; Dalaim, Sailor 5 and Sailor 6 are on the starboard side; the Sorceress, Sailor 7 and Sailor 8 are up on the sterncastle; and finally, Boffi is in the center of the ship. The halfling is up on the mast, and so isn't shown on the map.

Jocelyn, Val, Ouragana and Areilon can take positions, as well. If they want to fight, they can find some space pretty much anywhere but the bow. If your character wants to hide and avoid the battle, they can head to the bunks or the cargo hold.)
Attachments
Lucky Mermaid 01.jpg
Lucky Mermaid 01.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 6955 times
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Loading a bolt into her new crossbow Arei vaults down the stairs from the sterncastle and stands alongside Andar, crossbow sitting nervously in her hands. "Don't let them board." She warns scanning the sea.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Ouragana keeps close to the mast, silently cursing herself for having exchanged her spells. Making the side of the ship slippery would have been just the thing to do now... However, she keeps her dagger drawn.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Val is lounging on the main deck, waiting for the trip to be over. She is surprised for a call about boarders, there is not another ship to be seen.

Still, standing, she grips her trident and looks around to see what all the commotion is about.

"Boarders, where?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn takes position in the middle of the ship just in case her healing prayers and such are needed. She has her warhammer ready out to defend herself.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Incoming!" the quartermaster yells. Sure enough, the sound of claws scratching on wood can be heard, and the sahuagin begin climbing up the sides of the ship, coming up from all directions.

They are hideous, with black and green fins and scales and teeth like a barracuda. Each one is at least six feet in size, and all are armed with spears.
sahuagin.gif
sahuagin.gif (22.53 KiB) Viewed 6943 times
"Keep an eye out for their chieftain!" calls Boffi. "When he makes an appearance, take him down!" He draws two pistols from his belt, one in each hand.

=============

(OOC: The red numbers are sahuagin, the green ones are NPCs, and the blue ones are party members. Thus, the blue A is Areilon and the green A is Andar.

Since Ouragana was able to warn the party ahead of time, I rule the crew wins initiative automatically this round. Everyone post your actions for Round 1.)
Attachments
LS - Lucky Mermaid 02.jpg
LS - Lucky Mermaid 02.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 6943 times
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Letting a bolt fly at #4 Arei loads another bolt.

(No access to the roller so could you do the honors please?)

Borderlands 3 - Navi
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Jocelyn starts praying for Bless upon those on the ship.

(Yeah, doing this from my phone. Roll for me please.)
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Val turns to her right and moves to the rail looking to skewer the beast as is climbs up. (#6 for me)

to hit and damage, round 1 (1d20+1=18, 1d6+3=8)