Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 1: This Place Sucks

A solo adventure in which Echo Soulstaff searches for the man she believes is her father.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

CH 1: This Place Sucks

Post by JadedDM »

Echo awakens in her cheap, stiff and somewhat small bed the same as she does every morning. It always left her back stiff and her neck sore, which did little to improve her overall demeanor.

Her room was just large enough to hold the bed, a desk and a chair. In fact, if she sits at the desk and leans back, the chair will usually bump into the bed.

Sitting on the desk now was her spellbook, still sitting open from where she was studying it last night. Her backpack sits underneath the desk, leaning against one of the legs.

The curtain of her window (actually an old and tattered towel) was drawn back, letting her see outside. Her room was originally just the a small storage attic of this building, with her mom's room downstairs, along with the kitchen. Thus, Echo could literally look down at the town from her window. Her window was slightly frosted. There was no sign of snow yet, but winter would be there soon enough. Once winter did arrive, snow would mean less travelers on the road. And that, in turn, would mean her mother's business would suffer even further.

Echo knew that if they were going to somehow survive the winter, it would be up to her to get them through it.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Re: CH 1: This Place Sucks

Post by HorizonsDream »

Echo rubbed her face with her hands for a few moments to help wake herself up before she forced herself out of her uncomfortable bed. While she usually woke up sore and stiff, she couldn't really complain about it because at least she had a bed. Her eyes drifted to the frost cover window, and she let out an annoyed sigh. Deciding that today, she needed to look a little more presentable than normal, she ran her fingers through her hair until it was smooth enough, changed into one of her dresses, then gathered up her stuff before she moved downstairs. "Morning, mother," she said, trying not to sound grouchy, but failing miserably.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Orelel is currently frying up some breakfast. "Good news," she says cheerfully. "I managed to talk one of the traveling merchants last night into giving us some food at half price, so we'll be able to eat for at least another few days!"

Echo's mother, a pure-blooded elf, is well over a century old but could easily pass as Echo's sister. She's wearing a warm robe, thick stockings and her hair is disheveled and uneven. She's cooking over the tiny fire in the fireplace, which is the only source of heat in the building.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Oh wonderful," Echo said sarcastically. "But what about the rest of the winter?" she asks curiously. "That is really the problem," she points out. "Since you are busy with everything, it is up to me to find some money somehow," she says. "Which means having to socialize with the idiots of this town."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Orelel brings a bowl of bland oatmeal to the table for Echo. "How will you do that? Waiting tables at the tavern? Cleaning stables? There's not much work out here, as you well know."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"As if I could do something so mundane as those jobs?" Echo asks in shock. "I'm better than that. I'm a mage. I should be able to use my powers," she pointed out. "If I really want money, I'm going to have to look for the dangerous jobs," she points out.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Orelel laughs merrily. "The only spells you know are ones that burn and maim. What possible use..," she stops suddenly as it dawns on her. "Wait a moment, Echo. You aren't thinking what I think you are thinking, are you?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"What? Setting this whole place on fire, and then putting it out to become the big hero in these parts?" she asks. Naturally, she was joking with that last bit, but she found it amusing. Though, she was pretty sure she wouldn't have saved this place. She would have danced around the fire with a wild smile on her face like some sort of nymph.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"No...I thought you were talking about mercenary work, like with a caravan or something," Orelel admits. "Your plan is flawed, anyway," she adds with a smirk. "You don't have any spells to put out fires, only start them. You couldn't save the town after you set it aflame. And without it, you'd freeze or starve to death when winter sets in." She giggles.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, that plan is still in the beginning phases," she smiles. "But yes, mercenary work is what I was thinking. If there is a whole group of us, I would be protected," she explains.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"There are a lot of bandits out there. Not to mention monsters, like orcs and dragons and whatever else," Orelel says, unable to hide the worry in her voice. "And you're still just a beginner, regardless of what you tell everyone. Just casting one spell exhausts you entirely for the whole day."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I know. Though, isn't that how one gets stronger?" Echo asks. "Plus, whatever I make, money wise, would be more than enough to get us through the winter."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Your life is more important to me than money. Whatever happens, we can get through winter with what we have. We've done it before. We just need to be modest enough to be able to ask for help now and again," Orelel says. Approaching Echo, she runs her hands through her hair. "Whatever you do, just promise me you'll be careful. Don't take unnecessary risks, no matter how much gold is involved."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"That is easy for you to say," Echo says with a small sigh. "This town, or at least the men in this town, would gladly give you anything. You're a beautiful elf. All you have to do is bat your eyes at them, and they are on their knees kissing your feet as if you were some kind of goddess," she explains. "And I'm...me." Asking for help was not something she was good at doing, and most of the time she was told no anyway. "But I promise not to put my life in too much danger."

As she finished off her oatmeal, she realized that her mother was being a mother. Most mothers were like that, or least that she what she thought. There came a time when children wanted more than what their parents could provide. Plus, she honestly wanted to help her mother in some way. Naturally, dying wasn't the way she was going to help, so she would have to be careful.

"Well, I'm going to the tavern," she states as she stands from the table. "I might be able to find some work while I'm there."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

After walking through the bitter autumn cold, stepping into the warm inn was a great relief. Echo's eyes water at the sudden change in temperature. The Snow Queen Inn was the only inn in town. Many of the residents joke the place is named after Echo, although it has been here since long before she was born.

There was a bit of a group there already for breakfast. Echo recognized a few faces among them. She didn't really know many people in town, although that was intentional on her part. But she did remember faces fairly well.

Behind the bar was the innkeeper himself, an old man well into his nineties. He was just about entirely bald and stooped with age, but somehow still managed to run this place everyday. Everyone just called him 'Ol' Deg.' Presumably it was short for something, but Echo never had asked.

She recognized the cooper and the cobbler, a red-haired half-elf and a brown-haired dwarf, sitting together and eating at a small table near the blazing fireplace.

There was a young woman with raven black hair having a rather animated discussion with Deg at the bar. Wasn't she the person that ran that seedy bar on the other end of town?

She saw a blond man talking with a brown-haired woman, both in their forties or so. She saw the man often enough--he was the owner of the stable where Renegade stays. The woman was the local weaponsmith. Echo couldn't remember her name, but knew she stayed in business by making and repairing the weapons for the local guards and soldiers.

She also recognized the young black-haired gnome sitting by himself in the corner. He was the blacksmith for the west part of town.

There were also two men she had never seen before. Outsiders, perhaps? The younger one, about her age, had wild blond hair and was dressed in furs and hides. He looked like one of those infamous sea barbarians from the west she always heard about. The other, older man had red hair and was dressed as an ordinary traveler, as far as Echo could see.
Attachments
Rotwein Tavern.jpg
Rotwein Tavern.jpg (187.93 KiB) Viewed 13555 times