Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Martin and Reller (Stik and Kafen) private thread

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Martin and Reller (Stik and Kafen) private thread

Post by Breila »

(OOC: Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I planned to be. The smithing tools on a bedding of cloth are the top layer of the contents. I will use the intention of your post to go on)

Martin moves the first layer of smithing tools to the side and takes off the cloth, he reveals... a second layer of tools on cloth. There is nothing that looks unusual to him about the tools. Meanwhile, Herman the village smith has been called to judge the tools, and he says they are of good quality and appropriate. "But I'm curious why they should be shipped from over the sea and brought inland" he says. "Usually, smiths make their own tools during apprenticeship and modify or renew them as time goes by. They're seldom traded, and certainly not in these numbers" he gestures to the five crates.

So the smithing tools are taken out of the crates, and the third layer is *DRUM ROLL* weapons! There are swords and daggers in two of the crates, and the other three contain bows and quivers, as well as bundles of arrows.

"Now that is interesting" hisses Daos Soulstaff, and Bryce Cousland mumurms "Indeed". "Now look at these!" Linton Bronzemoon exclaims, holding one of the daggers up (with his pounchy frame, it is doubtful he could have handled a sword withouth exposing himself to ridicule). Looking closely, the blade weapons have a slight curve to them, they are definitely not the type common in the area.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

"Gold of a different kind, perhaps." Reller says and looks at Martin. "These are not local. Have you seen the make before?"
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Hello!” Martin exclaims, upon uncovering the weapons. “What have we here? Looks to me like a revolution starter kit. If I may be so bold: do be careful, Master Linton. The life you save may be mine own.

To Reller, Martin says: “I am no expert on weaponry, except for that used in my own particular martial discipline. But this stuff looks foreign to me.

He stands, pondering, for a moment, then says to the Council: “This, Councilfolk, is what we call, in my line of work, an ‘Oh Shi…’ er,” he pauses, looking at Ara, the high priestess, the starts again: “I mean, an ‘Uh-Oh Moment.’ Someone clearly did not want this materiel discovered. But due to the diligent efforts of your harbourmaster it has been. And perhaps some major incident has just been averted. Better still, some miscreant has surely been inconvenienced, and when the news of this reaches said miscreant, I suspect there shall be quite a commotion.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Bryce Cousland turns to the harbourmaster. "When is Eret due to come in next time?" The man thinks for a while, then answers "Since he has left only a few days ago, it will be four weeks at least before he comes back. As a matter of fact, these were pieces of cargo he could not take with him because his wagons were all loaded full."
"Who is his main contact person here?" Daos Soulstaff demands. "Me" the harbourmaster has to admit after a pause, blushing as he sees everybody's attention on him. "But he does business with Brian as well" he hastens to add.

Reller knows that Brian is the keeper of the General Store that faces the Inn over the village square.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Martin stares at the scene before him, speechless. Well, not truly speechless, for he is never at a loss for words, but shocked nonetheless. When trying to get to the bottom of a situation like this, it is important to keep the details of it contained. That way, you can identify the players without them being tipped off before you are ready to take action. But the Council seems oblivous to this simple axiom, and as a result of their actions, with each passing moment, the possibility of containment is evaporating more and more.

Time to take action. And with a good many of the townsfolk in attendance, to make said action as theatrical as possible. He lifts the nearest smith's hammer and bangs it on one of the empty crates. "Order! Order! Oyez!! Harbourmaster. As your legal counsel, I advise you to stop speaking immediately. I need to speak with the Council before this goes any further. If I may approach?"
He drops the hammer and walks up to the Council, stationing himself between them and the harbourmaster, preferably in a position where he can speak quietly to both Soulstaff and Cousland. But first, he says in a loud, firm voice: "I am J. Cheever Drake, of the legal house of Dewey, Cheatham and Howe. And I am here to speak for your humble and loyal harbourmaster in this matter." Then, in a quiet voice that only the two Councilmen can hear, he continues. "Part of my duties as a fool is to be the voice of reason - to keep my thoughts clear and focused when others are losing their cool. In that vein, I shall take the risk of being overly forward, with all do respect to you fine gentlemen. Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that from the rather energetic response to this discovery, that there seems to be a problem here. Perhaps even a crime in progress.
"Now, unless you want the criminals to know what you know, now would be a very good time to move this conversation to a more intimate setting. Perhaps inside the warehouse, and send these good people out of earshot."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Daos Soulstaff looks as if he was going to give a heated reprimand, but Bryce Cousland lifts his hand and tells Martin just as quietly: "You're probably right, though I believe the damage is done. As you can probably tell, we have little experience in large-scale crime." Loudly, he says: "The content of these crates and the barrel of potion are confiscated by the council. Wrap the weapons up and bring them to the basement of the Council hall, and the barrel to Mr. Soulstaff's house for further investigation. The tops of the crates should be burned straightaway, and the rest reduced to firewood. Please clean up here before you go to the inn to discuss today's events."

In the ensuing commotion, the council members ask the harbourmaster to come and join them in the council hall once he has overseen the work to put the fairground back in order. Kristina, Reller and Martin are asked to join the council as well, and a meal and drinks are ordered from Tel to be served in the council hall.

In the council hall, there is a U-shaped set of tables with four places at the short end and about a dozen on both sides. Ara Redbow and Bryce Cousland occupy the central seats, with Daos Soulstaff sitting at Cousland's side and Linton Bronzemoon at Redbow's. A light dinner is served with some ale and cider, and there is light chatter until everybody invited (or summoned?) is present.
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Reller attends and arrives with both Kristina and Martin. Wearing a better set of clothes, he manages to clean up prior to the occasion. Wearing a decent blue shirt and clean pants, he avoids a cloak to keep things simple. However, he secures his backpack at Kristina's house for the moment.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Martin grimaces when he hears Cousland announcing the disposition of the crates in front of all assembled. 'And they call ME a fool' he thinks to himself. But nothing can be done now. He also takes a moment to mourn the barrel being sent off to Soulstaff's residence. He had hoped to swipe a sample of the liquid for later recreational use.

"I shall attend the Council presently," Martin replies, watching the proceedings at the fairground carefully. If Cousland has not called the constabulary to supervise the moving of the freight to their various destinations, Martin will take the liberty of sending the first unoccupied child he spots to do so. No point in allowing the materiel to go missing between point A and points B&C.

Business at the fairground concluded, he stops in at Tel's to see Nezza. "My presence has been requested at the Council Hall. Seems they need my advice on a delicate matter. No telling how long it will run, but I shall endeavor to return here afterwards, if you would like to share a late drink." That said, he heads off to the stables to freshen up a bit and gather his things before walking to the Hall.

Upon arriving, Martin will present himself to the Council, bowing respectfully before addressing the mage. "Apologies, Master Soulstaff, for my impertinence at the fairground. A certain forwardness comes with the suit, if you will, and as you and your esteemed colleagues will certainly agree, the situation called for a certain alacrity. Please be assured that no disrespect was intended."

That said, he will stroll to the nearest seat and help himself to a portion of dinner, taking care not to fill his plate too much on each trip, but making more than one trip for just a bit more of this...then that... then the other, until he has managed to fill his belly. Like a soldier, an entertainer never knows where the next meal is coming from, so it is important to eat one's fill whenever food is offered.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

A militia being what it is (in fact, Geraldine is the only member who spends more hours of the day in matter of the militia than on a day job), most of its members are on the fairground already and help dispatch the contents of the crates under the lieutenant's watchful eye and her directions.

When Reller deposits his things and changes at Kristina's house, she offers him: "You could stay here for the night, to save yourself the trip home. It would be a pleasure, really." In Kristina's kitchen, there is a broad bench with padding and blankets, she uses this as a bed in winter, but now in summer she sleeps in the storeroom behind the kitchen.

Dinner is spent in good humor, food is plenty and drink is not lacking, though in so short supply that it would be hard to get drunk on it. Conversation is animated, of course discussing the day's events. People are animated because they never expected their small, peaceful community to become the seat of such event. To be sure, smuggling should be expected at any port, but weapons? There is wild speculation about who might have sent them and for whom they could be intended. Nobody seems to share Soulstaff's suspicion against the harbourmaster, however. In fact, people seem to see him as pompous and a little dull, if not dim. Eret, however, is not entirely popular, and there are snatches of conversation in the tone of "I always thought he was a little windy".

(OOC: We will soon be able to merge the two threads again, the group will arrive on a boat in four day's time. Please state what you want to do in the meantime, what you will try to find out, and I will give you the info instead of playing everything out.)
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC] I've stated Martin's goals - get known in town, become familiar with the local merchants, network-network-network. He wants to be the guy everybody knows, or at least thinks they know.
Once he's made a local of himself, to the greatest extent possible, he'll start picking at loose ends and see what falls out. He's trying to learn where the money associated with the smuggling operation goes locally. Somebody must be making money on it.

He's also got a few other irons in the fire, so to speak. He plans to start selling slide-whistles in town, setting up the tinsmith to make them, giving a few away to start, then selling them for as much as he can get. He will create a demand by amusing children with his own playing, and offering to teach the first few children to get them.

And last, but not least, or maybe not last, since it is somewhat urgent, he needs to find lodging, preferably free lodging. If he doesn't find better, he's going to be in a hayloft again. He'd gladly charm his way into a bed, depending on how easy and worldly the local ladies are and if he can do so without strings attached.

But for now, he needs to get through this Council meeting, and maybe let the Council know about the gnolls kipping in the mansion. [/OOC]
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Reller replies to Kristina. "I think that would be wise. I can stay here for the duration, perhaps." Smiling warmly, he suggests. "I would be pleased to stay here."

(( OOC: Reller will spend the time getting to help his friends in port, Kristina, and talking to the owl. He will try to find out some rumors from the dock workers and fishermen as he helps them, of course.

He will try to stay with Kristina for the duration of his visit if possible. And, he will try to get in evening meals with Martin while stopping by at lunch to see how the sales are going with the toys as he gets to know the cad in a friendly fashion. ))
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The council knows about the gnolls, at least Bryce Cousland does, and Daos Soulstaff probably as well. The harbourmaster gets off with a public telling-off and humbly promises to keep the records better in the future (until next time, Martin hears someone murmur).

Reller hears no unusual gossip, in fact, much of it are stories he's heard in many variations over the years. No one remembers any outbreak of acid rot, though, and that is a hot topic for several days. Some people have a secret joy because the haughty mage has to do something useful for the village. There being no reeds available so early in the year, he has to make some lengths of cloth magically impermeable to rain to use them as provisional roof.

Nezza is happy to be Matin's lady for dinner invitations, but she sleeps in the inn's servant quarters which are hardly more comfortable than Martin's current bunk. Also, her room is squeezed between Candida's and the kitchen helpers', separated only by a wall made of planks. But after two days, he is offered a bed in the house of an old widowed fisherman, whose grandson was one of the first kids to get a slide-whistle. "To thank you for giving an old man back some joy" he says gruffly in explanation, when he buys one of the whistles for himself. "It's great to have fun like when I was a lad, and teach my little one all the old tunes. Also" he grins "I love the pained look on the face of my daughter-in-law who always thinks she is something better because she's the daughter of a cobbler and not a fisherman. Serves her right to get her ears whistled full."

Will Martin tell Reller about the gnolls?
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Indeed, Reller shares his information with Martin as they meet over the next few days. He's open about it since his new friend is a good chap.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The question is, does Martin tell Reller?

I need Stick's reply before merging the threads.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC]Of course Martin will share the information. He needs Reller to speak to the gnolls for him.
He'll take Reller up there and have a bit of a palaver with the big guys. His intent is to actually hire them on as bodyguards/muscle. If we're being progressive enough to treat the gnolls as people, let's go all the way. They deserve better than to be hidden away in some remote location. Let's bring them out into the light.
The story for the gnolls is straightforward. We know they were badly treated/abandoned by their former employer. We have our own problems with him and intend to bring him down. If the gnolls will work for us, and avoid hurting anyone unless ordered to do so, they'll get a chance to exact their own revenge against him plus a share of any profits.[/OOC]