Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 3: Pulp Adventure!

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 3: Pulp Adventure!

Post by Breila »

During their watch, Ouragana will try to engage Jocelyn in conversation. She wants to learn about the difference in casting a spell granted by a deity from casting a spell learned through studies of the arcane arts. "How do you know you have the power to do something? Do you suddenly feel it? Is there a special feeling when the deity acts through you?" and similar questions. She will of course answer Jocelyn's question in turn, if she has any, and tell about her experience.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, uh, it is hard to describe," Jocelyn admits. She wasn't exactly the scholarly type of person, so it was hard for her to describe what she felt when praying and using those prayers to help others. "I think it might be a little different with each priest, and how religious they are. I'm still pretty new to all of this," she admits. "But when I wake up after praying the night before, it is sort of like feeling being full, like you are complete, " she says. "I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. Anyway, I guess in a way when performing a prayer, you can feel the deity in question. I'm sure for priests like the Kohen or someone of a higher ranking them me feels it different, but for me it is kind of like a light touch. Magic is probably a little different. How do you know you have the power?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Well, I look at the spell in my book and read it carefully, going over the things I need to say and do to unleash it in my head. Then there comes a point when I know somehow that the power is now stored in me" Ouragana answers. "But the more interesting part is when I study something new. Sometimes, I work with a spell for many weeks and I never seem to grasp what it is all about, and then, all of a sudden, I realise its power is now inside me. Of course, at the moment, the spells that elude me are still far more numerous." The last is said in a sobre tone. "I wish I could be more useful. I may have spent too much time over old tomes and in debates instead of learning practical skills, like combat. But then, I never expected to be left on my own so soon, I thought I would be on boats as a navigator with the crew providing for my safety."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"All combat is, really, is thinking on your feet," Jocelyn says. "Sometimes you have to get a little creative to get out of tight situations," she explains, as if she was an expert on this type of stuff. "I figure magic isn't very straight forward," she says. "And it is magic after all, so it isn't like there are limited possibilities with it. You might not have magic that is going to do damage to a person, but you might have magic that might distract a person so that someone else might be able to get an attack in. You're much smarter than I am, so use that head of yours," she said with a very light smile as she taps Ouragana on the head as if she was trying to make the point sink in.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Ouch!" Ouragana says and fakes toppling over, laughing.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Arei finds a clear space and rests silently, her blade across her lap, watching the Kohen with interest.

(She is waiting on a response to her question, btw: "Are these humans who escaped the 'captivity' of my people?" she asks the Kohen)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The Kohen sighs in frustration. "I don't know yet. That's why I need time to translate these writings," he explains for the umpteenth time. "Anything I say at this point would only be speculation. Now, please, let me work."

The next few hours pass uneventfully. Watches are set, but nothing bothers them for the time being. Everyone eats a meal of dry rations. It is another four hours before the Kohen finally gets anywhere with his translations.

"Yes, yes! Eureka!" the old dwarf proclaims. "I have something! Fascinating, utterly fascinating!"

===========

It is now 2:00 AM.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Arei rises slowly, it was almost time for her watch anyway, she had drifted off watching the Kohen work.

"May I ask what you have found?" She asks, staying sitting for now.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Well, my translation isn't perfect, mind you," the kohen explains. "The trick was getting the vowels right. In any case, it appears to be a chronicle of this island's history." He seems quite excited by this.

"According to this, the humans were created by great and powerful gods, then placed on these islands to grow and prosper. And so they did, for many centuries, until the 'others' arrived," he says. "Now, this doesn't translate well, but 'others' is the best I can come up with. It seems to be their word for non-humans, namely the elves. Wengine."

Maua's ears perk up at this. "Ndiyo, wewe ni wengine. Mungu wetu atatafuna nafsi yako kwa ajili ya uhalifu huu una nia ya juu yetu!"

"Yes, yes, very good," Dalaim responds dismissively. "In any case, the story goes on that there was a great war between the others and the humans. This is of particular interest, as history says that the first contact between men and elves was quite peaceful. There is no mention of bloodshed, but here it claims their first meeting was very bloody. Quite interesting, yes? An embellishment on the humans' part, perhaps? Or have the elves been lying this whole time? Who can say, who can say?"

He continues, "Whatever the case, the humans were clearly losing the war. Many were killed, many more were captured and enslaved. They didn't stand a chance against the elves' metal weapons and powerful magic. So the humans prayed to their gods, to any god, who would listen. Only one did, and he agreed to save them from this fate if they agreed to worship him exclusively and make regular blood sacrifices to him."

The kohen moves on to the next section of text. "The humans agreed, and so the god manifested into physical form. He started slaughtering the elves left and right, forcing them to eventually flee back to their homeland. Their god not only killed elves, but devoured their souls through his third eye." He scratches his beard. "This god is described as having red skin, sharp fangs and claws, and a third eye on his forehead. Not like any deity I've ever heard of, that's for sure.

"Once the elves were gone, their god left them a gift. A heart, I think is what it says, although that doesn't sound right. But the 'heart' somehow protected the island from further harm. It cast a cloak over the island, so that nobody could see it except those who lived upon it. Any boat that sailed by would simply pass it by, unaware. And so the island has remained hidden ever since from the 'others.'

"Fascinating, don't you think? I wonder if this 'heart' actually exists, and is still on the island? It might be worth searching these ruins more thoroughly, don't you all agree?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Interesting..." Arei mumbles, "If it still existed, how was the island found?" She asks.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Good question. However, I cannot say for certain," Dalaim says, sounding quite like a professor speaking to his students during a lecture. "It's possible the 'heart' doesn't exist, or it does but never had any magical properties at all. It could be coincidence nobody has ever found this island before--it is rather out of the way--and the tribals just assumed it was due to the 'heart.' It's also possible it's all true, but the 'heart' is now broken. Or something else entirely."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"So then, they are still worshiping this God?" Jocelyn asks.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"It would certainly appear so," Dalaim says in answer to the acolyte's question.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Then it would appear that our Druid worships a God who hates my people... No wonder she couldn't bear to.be near me." Arei comments as she watches the woman closely. "So... What now?"

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Having just fallen asleep after her watch, Ouragana is slow at reacting to the new developpments. When her brain accepts to work again, she frowns first, then approaches Maua. Pointing to Areilon, she asks the druid: "Wengine?"