Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 10: The Tharkadan Towers

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 10: The Tharkadan Towers

Post by JadedDM »

There's nothing further to learn. The paintings just show people fighting dragons with lances. Presumably they are special or magical in some way, but neither Goldmoon or Tika have ever heard of these 'dragonlances' before, if such things ever existed in the first place.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

"Caramon, with me, Raistlin, tell us where to go." Riverwind unsheathes his blade and takes point with Caramon. "Let's go."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Yes of course" Goldmoon tears her attention from the paintings and follows Riverwind and the others.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

While Raistlin, Goldmoon and the others backtrack to the staircase and start back toward the courtyard, Elistan, Tas, and Laurana lead the refugees to the same location.

As the enslaved men emerge from the mines to see what all of the commotion is about, Sturm, Gilthanas and Eben arrive. They are badly injured, but accompanied by nearly 300 plainswomen. Realizing what is happening, the men turn on their captors and easily slay them, before joining the growing throng of women and children which now numbers nearly 800 total. Despite protests from Elistan and Tanis, the men, women and children begin trying to seek out their families in a chaotic, disorganized way.

Tanis waves over the party members from all three groups together. "We don't have a lot of time," he says. "We need to get moving at once, before Verminaard and his men return."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"How are we going to...herd so many people?" Tika asks.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

After a moment of thinking, Goldmoon gathers the group around her. "Listen, I have an idea. Do you know the names of the bigger settlements where these people come from? We could call out for the people of each one to gather in a particular place of the hall. Then the families will find each other more easily.

Also, we could ask if there are village leaders among them, they could round their people up and help us structure the evacuation"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The party quickly engages Goldmoon's plan, with Elistan taking the lead, but it still takes about twenty minutes to complete the process. They are just finishing up, when suddenly, with a splintering crash, the walls holding Flamestrike fly outward. The great beast slithers out of the tower toward the crowd of prisoners.

"My children! You shall not have my children!" Her voice is shrill and strained. "Leave me my children!" she demands, lumbering down the gradual slope.

Now, another great crimson shape appears, flying. Bellowing a challenge, a second huge red dragon lands on the mighty Tharkadan wall. On its back is the imposing figure of the Dragonlord Verminaard, still concealed by the fearsome mask. His voice booms through the valley.

"This is the final insult! I have tolerated your impudence far too long...slaves are cheap and plentiful. Now you pay for your foolish daring!" As the people scream and turn to flee down the valley, his evil voice picks up more power: "Now, I destroy you! I destroy your wives! I destroy your children!"
Verminaard.jpg
Verminaard.jpg (238.32 KiB) Viewed 7513 times
As Ember leaps from the wall, Flamestrike pauses in her advance. Confusion shakes her as she looks from the children to the great engine of death above her. Suddenly, her dim eyes take on clear focus as she makes a decision.

Curling her long neck upwards, Flamestrike sends forth a horrifying spout of fire, straight at the flying dragon and the Dragonlord. With a scream, Verminaard is engulfed in the glowing cloud, and his dragon-steed bellows in pain. Quickly, the two dragons lock in a fearsome mele, thrashing their mighty bodies across the valley and bringing boulders tumbling from the mountainside.

"Now's our chance!" Tanis cries, recognizing a golden opportunity when he sees one. "We must flee into the mountains, while he is distracted!"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Come!" Goldmoon shouts, holding her staff high and following Tanis.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Now, everyone!" Tika shouts as she moves to follow after Tanis.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Trying to make his voice head above the fray, Rvierwind also yells "MOVE NOW"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Moving quickly, the party leads the band down the valley and out of sight of the fortress while the two dragons struggle. Verminaard hangs on to his saddle for dear life, shouting commands at his mount that go unanswered. Red dragons aren't exactly well known for their discipline.

Nevertheless, the party pushes forward, moving everyone forward as much as they can, to put distance between the fortress and themselves. Several hours pass, but nothing bothers them along the way, and eventually they are forced to stop for the night.

The autumn sun disappears behind a mountain ridge, as 800 people huddle among a cheery grove of tall pines. Tired and hungry, they are nonetheless happy for their nearly miraculous escape.

This small side valley should provide shelter for the night from any draconians that have been sent on the hunt. No doubt fresh problems will arise tomorrow, but for now the refugees are safe.

The biting chill of the wind brings warnings of the winter that is soon to come. The wilderness yields little food, but many mounts need to be fed. The great silver moon rises and the stars blink into sight.

END OF DRAGONS OF FLAME