Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 5: The Traitor

Dragonlance Game, 3-6 PCs at levels 1-3, set in 375 AC, using DLQ1 (Knight's Sword) and DLQ2 (Flint's Axe)

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 5: The Traitor

Post by JadedDM »

It takes time for the party to hurry through the city, reach the south gate, and then finally Crownguard manor. When they arrive, they find it eerily quiet. Like the portals at Lord Kellin’s keep, the doors to Crownguard’s castle also stand wide open. However, there is a welcoming party at these gates, one much more malicious than a huddled body. Charles Crownguard stands there, cradling the Brightblade as if he owned it. He waves the group inside as they enter the courtyard then vanishes into the darkened interior with an evil-sounding giggle before anyone can react.

=========

It is now High Watch (12:00 PM, noon).
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"By Paladine!" Erastin draws his fathers sword and moves into the castle, "Galenye, Targin, bows at the Ready, Katharos with me, Jinali, bring up the rear." This was very wrong, anything could happen.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Karathos draws his two axes and jogs at Erastin's side, but he stops at the threshold of the darkness, waiting for his eyes to adjust in full defense, he suspects a trap.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Galenye keeps her bow at the ready, completely confused as to what exactly is going on.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Targin continues to hold his axe, but does hurry as fast as his little legs will carry him to follow the Knight. "I'm coming" he yells ahead.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Karathos shows some caution, but the others just rush in anyway. They enter the Great Hall of Castle Crownguard. While it is not nearly as impressive as some of the Great Halls on Anasalon, neither is it tiny. Once the group enters, the massive doors swing shut behind them, keeping them trapped inside the shadowy confines.

Toward the back of the hall, Crownguard stands clutching the Brightblade possessively. Even from the party's vantage point, it is obvious that the man has at last gone totally insane. At his side is Corya, who has forgone her lovely dress for a suit of black leather armor. The thing that really draws the party's attention, however, is the new and improved Gnomish Death Machine. It looks a lot like the one they encountered in the wild. Painted across the cheeks of this one are the words, "Knight Squisher." A band of eight gnomes hangs from Knight Squisher, shouting derisively at the characters. At Crownguard’s signal, Knight Squisher begins to trundle forward, blowing steam. The gnomes cackle menacingly as Knight Squisher approaches the characters and ready themselves for the inevitable and unpleasant thumps when the characters are overrun. This fails to happen. The machine seems not to have been properly repaired, for it veers from its set course again and crashes into a nearby wall. The force of the impact flings the gnomes from the hull of Knight Squisher.

In the back of the Hall, Crownguard has just looked up and noticed that the machine has weakened the supports in the walls of the Hall, and taken a large chunk of his financing with it. He hurls a gauntlet to the floor in a fit of rage. Readying Sturm's sword, he calls out, "I issue you a one-on-one challenge, Rivenguard! Come and face me!"

=============

(OOC: I'm assuming Karathos went in with them. If he hesitated, then he was locked out. He'll need to make an Open Doors check to get in.)
Attachments
Crownguard's Grand Hall 01.jpg
Crownguard's Grand Hall 01.jpg (165.55 KiB) Viewed 8215 times
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

I didn't plan on Karathos going in. He would probably try to hold the door open if it closes. Roll the check for me to save time, please
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Glancing at the group behind him Erastin draws his Fathers Blade, he stood no chance against Brightblade, yet he can only hope that the stories were true, the Blade could only be wielded by a true Knight.

"I accept the Challenge." He motions to the group, "I will face you, when I win you will surrender the blade."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Noticing the doors are closing, Karathos hurries forward and grabs them in time. Throwing all of his weight into it, he forces them back open with great strain.

"We'll see about that!" Charles says, a manic look in his eyes. "Gnomes, finish off his friends! But let the would-be knight pass. He's mine."

The gnomes, a bit stunned by their crash, get to their feet and ready their weapons.

=============

Karathos makes an Open Doors check to keep the front doors open (1d20): 7, pass. The doors are kept open.
Attachments
Key:<br />E - Erastin<br />G - Galenye<br />T - Targin<br />J - Jinali<br />KK - Karathos<br />Ch - Charles<br />Co - Corya<br />1-8 - Gnomes
Key:
E - Erastin
G - Galenye
T - Targin
J - Jinali
KK - Karathos
Ch - Charles
Co - Corya
1-8 - Gnomes
Crownguard's Grand Hall 02.jpg (165.66 KiB) Viewed 8210 times
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Galenye, if this goes wrong, I. I." He stammers, moving forwards, facing Charles "This is between me and you, they will not interfere, leave them alone, or do you have no honor at all?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Erastin!" Galenye says in disbelief as she was thinking this was some kind of trap. The moment that she heard that the gnomes were to finish the rest of them off, she towards them with her bow ready.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Now, now, what sort of host would I be if I allowed my guests to just stand around watching, while we have all of the fun?" Charles asks, stepping forward.

The gnomes, meanwhile, begin to coordinate. Some take cover behind pillars and load this pistols. Others draw picks and begin to mobilize a battle front.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Galenye mutters and quickly moves to take cover behind a pillar.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Targin doesn't hesitate, he charges the gnomes, wielding his axe.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Half of the gnomes stand ready to accept Targin's charge, as well as anyone else's. They let Erastin pass by unmolested, however; so long as he makes no move to attack them.

The other half aim their pistols and make ready to fire, using the columns as cover.

===========

(OOC: Actions and Initiative for Round 1? Don't forget to name your targets.)
Attachments
Key:<br />E - Erastin<br />G - Galenye<br />T - Targin<br />J - Jinali<br />KK - Karathos<br />Ch - Charles<br />Co - Corya<br />1-8 - Gnomes
Key:
E - Erastin
G - Galenye
T - Targin
J - Jinali
KK - Karathos
Ch - Charles
Co - Corya
1-8 - Gnomes
Crownguard's Grand Hall 03.jpg (165.67 KiB) Viewed 8198 times