Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 5: The Traitor

Dragonlance Game, 3-6 PCs at levels 1-3, set in 375 AC, using DLQ1 (Knight's Sword) and DLQ2 (Flint's Axe)

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

CH 5: The Traitor

Post by JadedDM »

Leaving the city through the west gate, the party follows the road to Solanius' castle. It doesn't take long before it comes into view, the morning sun shining off its white walls.

As the party approaches Solanius' keep, something odd keeps nagging at them. They finally realize that his dogs, which you would expect to be barking, are silent. In fact, no one can hear the slightest whimper from their kennels. Karathos' keen nose also picks up an unexpected, but very familiar odor--the scent of blood.

There seems to be nobody around. Nobody stops the party from entering the grounds.

Another minor detail draws their attention as they approach. The beautifully-carved oak front doors of Lord Kellin’s stronghold stand slightly ajar, spilling forth the light from inside. There is a form sprawled on the floor just beyond the doors. A weak moan issues from the figure.

=======

It is now Fifth Watch (11:00 AM).
Attachments
Solanius Castle.jpg
Solanius Castle.jpg (393.47 KiB) Viewed 11371 times
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Re: CH 5: The Traitor

Post by Jerrard »

"By the Gods, what is going on here?" Erastin asks, drawing his blade, "Galenye might be an idea to get that nice new bow ready, Targin." He turns. "Lets move slowly." Moving slowly, letting Galenye and Targin cover him with Bows he approaches the figure with Karathos.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Galenye pulls out her bow, pretty much ready for anything at this point.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Be careful" Karathos advises as well. "I can smell there has been recent bloodshed here."

He moves over to a wing of the gate and, using it as cover, opens it wider, slowly, so that he can stop the movement and block it if his comrades tell him so.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

"Aye." Targin get out his bow
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Moving slowly, weapons at the ready, the party enters the castle. They find that the moaning, bloodied form is none other than Kellin Solanius. He lies in a pool of his own blood. It appears he has crawled some distance after being wounded, as there is a trail of bright crimson stretching behind him.

When he sees the party, he gestures for them to come closer. He tries to speak, but can't manage more than a whisper.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Erastin approaches him quickly, making sure the others were guarding him.

"Selowen help me please." Advancing on the Knight he leans down, "Who did this my Lord?" He asks quietly.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Karthos stands guard over Erastin and Knight Solanius, his back to them, surveying the area.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Selowen quickly hurries over and kneels down. "Oh, Paladine," she says. "So much blood." She pales considerably, even for an elf, as she gets to work on trying to stop the bleeding.

Solanius smiles a wistful smile, and chuckles weakly, blood trickling from his mouth. His humor quickly turns to a gasp of pain when the movement tears at his insides.

He begins to whisper to Erastin. The knight initiate has to bend close to hear his words. When he speaks, flecks of bloody spittle fly from his mouth.

"You certainly did your investigating well," he murmurs. "You fingered the correct culprit. I was the one who stole the sword. However, I am also innocent. Read this parchment in my belt. It will explain everything. It was all part of the Test, and you’ve passed admirably. I hope my clues weren’t too obvious." He coughs painfully, and a clot of gore spatters the floor.

"Ouch," he continues mildly. "Read the parchment. The Brightblade has been stolen from me, the keeper. It was that traitor, Charles Crownguard and his thieving wench, Corya. He distracted me, she stabbed me in the back, and I whirled. Then Crownguard stabbed me. Watch out for him. I think he has a poison-coated dagger. Please. Avenge me, and reclaim the honor of the knighthood from Crownguard. Nobody in his family has ever been worthy of it. And hurry, before he goes anywhere."

"Easy," Selowen says, unable to keep her voice from trembling. "Save your breath."

Kellin shakes his head weakly. "One last request," he asks, his breath growing short. "Take me to my dogs. I know that ruthless pig Charles slaughtered them, but I want to lie with them in death." He closes his eyes and does not open them again.

Frantic, Selowen checks his pulse. Sadly, she looks to Erastin and slowly shakes her head.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Erastin nods, his face dark and angry, he reaches for the parchment passing it over to Jinali, "I am sure he speaks the truth." He turns to Katharos, "Could you move him, as he suggests? His dogs should not be far away and you should be able to smell them still."

He reaches back down to Kellin, "Your clues were intriguing and interesting My Lord, take this, the best clue, it belongs with you." He places the light gem in his hand, closing the fingers.

"Right." Standing he turns away, looking around, which way did Crownguard go?
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Karathos nods and picks up the knight. Cradling him, he walks over solemny to where he can smell the dogs.
As he carries him over and lays him gently down, he tries to go over the conversation with Corya in his head. Was there any clue she was to be a traitor?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Karathos takes the fallen knight to the nearby kennel. He finds that every dog is dead or dying, some by gaping sword wounds, while others lie panting their last, their muzzles covered with foam that indicates poisoning. When the minotaur lays the knight down, those dogs that still can, crawl over to their master to lie beside him, waiting to die.

Erastin sees no sign that Crownguard is still here. Likely, he and his accomplice have already departed back to his own manor.

==========

Erastin gives Kellin's note to Jinali.
Erastin leaves the lightgem with Kellin.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Jinali, what does that note say?" He asks ushering the group away from the Castle and towards the gate house. "We have to find The Crownguard Estate, and quickly." He shouts, "We ask the way, show the note to the guards and head there straight away." He orders.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Upon looking at the blood-stained note, Jinali would read the following:

To the prospective candidate:

Greetings and salutations! If you have received this letter, you have solved the mystery of the theft of Sturm's sword. This means that you are eligible to become a knight immediately upon your return to the High Clerist's Tower. This is, as you are no doubt aware, a great honor. Only one candidate each year is eligible to forego training as a squire, and you have earned that honor this year by virtue of your hard work, your reason, and your honor.

As per the instructions given to you to bring the perpetrator to justice: Lord Kellin Solanius acted under my orders, with the approval of the other High Knights, in removing the Brightblade from the Chamber of Paladine. Thus, although I do not expect you to believe this letter without a personal approval from me, I ask that every possible courtesy be extended Lord Solanius during the journey from Solanthus to the Tower. Once again, I congratulate you on your fine work. I look forward to speaking with you when you return to the High Clerist's Tower.

Yours truly,
Lord Gunthar Uth Wistan
Grandmaster of the Knights of Solamnia

At the bottom, by his signature, is the Grandmaster's seal.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"This is..." Galenye starts to say. Though, really she seems slightly stunned that a would be knight would act in this manner. Erastin wasn't perfect, but he would never do something like this!