Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 7: The Slave Caravan

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
Nuke
Lord
Lord
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 7: The Slave Caravan

Post by Nuke »

(OOC: Here goes nothing.)

Riverwind is a bit surprised by the degree his friends have been decimated by just a few goblin-kin, but that doesn't seem to register over his need to regain their gear.

Yelling to the rest "Head for the trees." he strikes just to push his foe back far enough so he can swap swords with the one laying at his feet.

He then runs toward the rear wheel of the wagon and jumps up, trying to gain the top of the wagon. Hoping for some.. confusion to slow any reaction, he tries for the reins in order to get the horses moving.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Lifting the sword up high Magpie smiles at Laurana. "Me go help, you safe, me help friends." with that she turns and faces the battle once more, preparing to move.

(This needs a morale check i suppose? Don't have any dice on me, could you do the honors jaded?)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

In the Brush

As Laurana tends to Sturm and Tasslehoff, an elven woman appears from behind a tree. She's wearing a green cloak, brown leathers, and has a short sword buckled to her side. She carries a bow in hand and has pale skin and long brown hair.

"You should come with me," she says. "We have many traps laid about, and you could easily walk into one. I can take you to safety." She pauses upon seeing Laurana and her eyes widen slightly, but she says nothing further.

"Sounds good to me," Theros says.

Magpie bravely approaches the edge of the forest to re-enter the fray, hears a goblin scream horribly (either in pain or in a battle cry) and suddenly has second thoughts.

The Battlefield

Tanis jumps out of the wagon, grabbing a nearby fallen sword. He surveys the battlefield. "By the gods," he mutters.

Riverwind drops a short sword and scoops up a fallen long sword, before running over to the back of the wagon and jumping inside. He sees the party's gear, still wrapped up in a blanket out of fear of Raistlin's 'curse' as well as a number of other weapons and armor. Looking ahead, he sees the driver's seat is empty, the two hobgoblins who drove it now dead (elven arrows in their necks). The large elks the wagon is strapped to seemed frightened but otherwise stay put.

Several goblins all gang up at once on Goldmoon. She takes several hits, including a lucky stab to her shoulder. She considers running, but realizes the danger involved, and so instead slowly withdraws toward the brush, disappearing within.

Caramon punches a hobgoblin so hard, its skull fractures and it drops to the ground, dying. Cracking his knuckles, he then looks around for his next opponent. "Who else wants some?" he demands.

Raistlin steps out of the wagon, the Staff of Magius somehow miraculously back in his hand. He begins chanting a familiar spell while reaching in his pouch for some sand. "Ast tasarak sinuralan krynawi," he whispers, tossing the sand into the air. Even more hobgoblins fall into a deep slumber, which will make Riverwind's job easier now.

Raven-eye and Sunstar both gang up on a goblin that was fighting Goldmoon, but it's so dark and neither is skilled with a short sword, and so their blows hit nothing but air.

Flint, however, can see just fine in the dark. He skewers a goblin with the short sword he picked up. "Take that, you scum-sucking vermin!" Likewise, Tika manages to sneak up on another goblin, stabbing him right through the heart.

Finally, Gilthanas finds himself trying to ward off blows from all around, with varying levels of success.

As if things couldn't get any worse, two more goblins then show up on the battlefield.

==============

Initiative
Tika (1d10+3): 12
Goldmoon (1d10): 10
Riverwind (1d10): 3
Magpie (1d10): 4
Gilthanas: (1d10+3): 11
Caramon (1d10): 6
Flint (1d10+3): 8
Sunstar (1d10+3): 9
Raven-eye (1d10+3): 6
Tanis (1d10): 1
Raistlin (1d10+1): 6
Goblin 03 (1d10+3): 10
Goblin 05 (1d10+3): 5
Goblin 06 (1d10+3): 7
Goblin 07 (1d10+3): 9
Goblin 08 (1d10+3): 8
Goblin 09 (1d10+3): 12
Goblin 10 (1d10+3): 5
Hobgoblin 02 (1d10+5): 15
Hobgoblin 03 (1d10+5): 15
Hobgoblin 06 (1d10): 8

Round 6!

Tanis leaves the caravan and grabs a short sword.
Riverwind drops a short sword and picks up a long sword. He then climbs into the back of the wagon.
Magpie makes a morale check (2d10): 17, fails.
Goblin 05 attacks Goldmoon with his short sword (1d20+2): 14, hit for (1d6): 3 damage.
Goblin 10 approaches Tika.
Caramon punches Hobgoblin 03 (1d20+1): 9, combination for 4 damage. Hobgoblin 03 falls.
Raistlin leaves the caravan and casts Sleep on (2d4) 6 hobgoblins.
Raven-eye attacks Goblin 07 with a short sword (1d20-1): 3, miss.
Goblin 06 attacks Goldmoon (1d20+2): 5, miss.
Flint attacks Goblin 06 with a short sword (1d20+1): 18, hit for (1d6+1): 4 damage. Goblin 06 dies.
Goblin 08 attacks Gilthanas (1d20): 10, miss.
Hobgoblin 06 wakes up Hobgoblin 07.
Sunstar attacks Goblin 07 with short swords (1d20-1): 9, miss and (1d20-1): 3, miss.
Goblin 07 attacks Goldmoon (1d20+2): 22, critical hit! for (2d6): 8 damage.
Goldmoon carefully withdraws into the brush (leaves the map).
Goblin 03 attacks Gilthanas (1d20): 19, hit for (1d6): 1 damage.
Gilthanas attacks Hobgoblin 02 with a short sword (1d20-3): 11, miss.
Tika backstabs Goblin 05 with a short sword (1d20+6): 16, hit for (1d6+1): 6(x2): 12 damage. Goblin 05 dies.
Goblin 09 approaches Flint.
Hobgoblin 02 attacks Gilthanas (1d20-2): 17, hit for (1d8): 2 damage.
Hobgoblin 03 is dead.
Goblin 11 arrives on the scene.
Goblin 12 arrives on the scene.

(OOC: I decided to interpret Goldmoon 'retreating' to mean she slowly withdraws as opposed to turns her back and runs, otherwise the goblins would get three free attacks on her. Also, one cannot parry or go into full defense and move at the same time.

Actions for Round 7?)
Attachments
Key:<br />T - Tasslehoff (Off map)<br />M - Magpie (Off map)<br />R - Riverwind<br />S - Sturm (Off map)<br />L - Laurana (Off map)<br />W - Tika<br />g - Gilthanas<br />C - Caramon<br />F - Flint<br />I - Theros (Off map)<br />s - Sunstar<br />r - Raven-eye<br />G - Goldmoon (off map)<br />Tn - Tanis<br />Ra - Raistlin<br />Red Numbers - Goblins<br />Blue Numbers - Hobgoblins<br />Yellow Numbers - Sleeping hobgoblins<br />Pale Numbers - Dead/Dying
Key:
T - Tasslehoff (Off map)
M - Magpie (Off map)
R - Riverwind
S - Sturm (Off map)
L - Laurana (Off map)
W - Tika
g - Gilthanas
C - Caramon
F - Flint
I - Theros (Off map)
s - Sunstar
r - Raven-eye
G - Goldmoon (off map)
Tn - Tanis
Ra - Raistlin
Red Numbers - Goblins
Blue Numbers - Hobgoblins
Yellow Numbers - Sleeping hobgoblins
Pale Numbers - Dead/Dying
Fight for Freedom 06.jpg (96.18 KiB) Viewed 7752 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Caramon, we could use some help over here," Tika says. When it comes to attacking things from behind, Tika seems to have some confidence in the matter. Though, when she comes face to face with one of the goblins, she loses some of her confidence especially since she appears to be wounded from the last battle she was in. Though, despite that, she stabs that the goblin facing her (10)

Init Roll, Hit Roll (5, 6)
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Riverwind is half way there, he climbs into the drivers seat and starts the beasts moving with a slap of the reins and a load "Heya" intending to escape with their gear and the Discs.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon continues to retreat, hoping someone of the elven archers will come to her help, because she is not allowed to use the sword, even in defence...
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"My friends, we have to wait for our friends, Gilthanas. Please, hold on." Laurana begs, "You know who I am? Please I do not wish to command you, just please help me help them."

Laurana pulls herself to her feet helping Sturm do the same, flashing her almond eyes she moves to the edge of the brush. "Magpie, you don't have to, just stand here, please?"

"Goldmoon!" She shouts as the priestess appears, "She is injured, can you lead her and my friends to safety, I will wait for the rest." She asks, her eyes wide.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Rising to his feet slowly, Sturm looks back at the caravan, "Our weapons, the discs, we cannot leave them!" He goes to move but is stopped by Laurana's hand. "But.." He lowers his head, seeing the Elf lady he bows. "Sturm Brightblade, and We appreciate your aid."

Darting forwards when Goldmoon appears he places his arms around her, protecting her from the battle. "I would stay here with you, my Lady." He bows to Laurana, "But I have a feeling you will say no." He turns back to the Elven Lady. "I will walk with you, and my comrades." He bows once more, holding Goldmoon close.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon gently pushes Sturm's arms away. "You are hurt worse than me, Knight Sturm" she reminds him. "Let me go, I need to see how my beloved is..." she tries to see out from between the bushes.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Sturm bows, "Of course my Lady." He pulls away, "The Code is quite clear on this matter. You are to be protected, and your Beloved is safe I am certain."
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Tas watches the others struggle towards them and grimaces while looking around. He checks his wounds with interest and makes a humming sound.
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

In the Brush

The elven woman shakes her head. "If they cannot walk, we cannot carry them. They are as good as dead. Follow me, now. Or stay here, and risk death. But it is too dangerous to sit and chat about it." She turns and heads deeper into the woods, not waiting to see who obeys.

"She's right," Theros says. "There's nothing you can do sitting here, waiting for them to give chase." The one-armed man follows after the elf woman.

Goldmoon peers through the brush, but it is night out and the little light provided by the waning red moon isn't enough for her to make out much from where she is. She can see people moving, but it's impossible to pick Riverwind out from the crowd.

The Battlefield

Both Tanis and Caramon come to Tika's aid. The half-elf strikes at a goblin from behind, but drops the short sword in the chaos. Caramon punches another goblin nearby, knocking it unconscious immediately.

Sunstar and Raven-eye fight side by side. Sunstar's opponent somehow manages to block and evade her flurry of attacks, but Raven-eye's isn't so lucky, and gets stabbed deep in the stomach.

Meanwhile, Raistlin begins chanting another spell. "Kalith karan, tobanis-kar," he whispers, and two red beams of energy fly from his finger tips and strikes two goblins dead; one of the two that just arrived on the scene and the one Sunstar had been dueling. A hobgoblin challenges Sunstar, striking her while her guard is down.

A couple of goblins team up on Flint, who takes more hits and drops his sword, as well. "Damn blasted maggot eaters!" he cries in frustration and rage.

Riverwind makes for the driver's seat. He pushes aside the dead driver, and grabs the reins. A hobgoblin attempts to strike at him, but trips over one of his sleeping brothers and loses his sword. Not about to question this good luck, the plainsman sets the wagon into motion. He can barely see where he is going, but manages to steer the wagon right into the brush.

This just leaves Gilthanas, who is quickly getting overwhelmed by what is remaining of the goblin and hobgoblins. "Retreat!" he calls, sporting several new wounds. "Into the brush!"

"Fall back!" echoes Tanis. "Everyone fall back!"

Two more goblins show up, ready to avenge their fallen brothers.

==============

Initiative
Tika (1d10+3): 8
Riverwind (1d10): 10
Flint (1d10+3): 8
Caramon (1d10): 8
Raistlin (1d10+1): 7
Tanis (1d10+3): 4
Sunstar (1d10+3): 6
Raven-eye (1d10+3): 5
Gilthanas (1d10+3): 10
Goblin 03 (1d10+3): 6
Goblin 07 (1d10+3): 10
Goblin 08 (1d10+3): 10
Goblin 09 (1d10+3): 7
Goblin 10 (1d10+3): 4
Goblin 11 (1d10+3): 10
Goblin 12 (1d10+3): 7
Hobgoblin 01 (1d10+5): 7
Hobgoblin 02 (1d10+5): 14
Hobgoblin 05 (1d10+5): 10
Hobgoblin 06 (1d10+5): 8
Hobgoblin 07 (1d10+5): 14

Round 7!

Goblin 10 attacks Tika with his short sword (1d20+2): 7, miss.
Tanis attacks Goblin 10 from behind with a short sword (1d20+4): 5, critical fumble! Tanis drops the sword.
Raven-eye attacks Goblin 07 with a short sword (1d20+1): 16, hit for (1d6): 6 damage. Goblin 07 dies.
Goblin 03 attacks Gilthanas from behind with a short sword (1d20+2): 5, miss.
Sunstar attacks Goblin 08 with two short swords (1d20+1): 6, miss and (1d20-1): 11, miss.
Goblin 09 attacks Flint with a short sword (1d20-1): 13, hit for (1d6): 5 damage.
Goblin 12 attacks Flint with a short sword (1d20-1): 15, hit for (1d6): 1 damage.
Hobgoblin 01 attacks Gilthanas (1d20-2): 10, miss.
Raistlin casts Magic Missile on Goblin 11 for (1d4+1): 5 damage and on Goblin 08 for (1d4+1): 5 damage. Goblins 08 and 11 die.
Hobgoblin 06 attacks Riverwind with his long sword (1d20): 1, critical fumble! Hobgoblin 06 drops his sword.
Tika attacks Goblin 10 with a short sword (1d20+2): 6, miss.
Caramon punches Goblin 09 (1d20+1): 13, hook for 5 damage. Goblin 09 falls.
Flint attacks Goblin 12 with a short sword (1d20+1): 2, critical fumble! Flint drops the blade.
Riverwind commandeers the supply wagon and rides it into the brush (off the map).
Goblin 07 is dead.
Goblin 08 is dead.
Goblin 11 is dead.
Hobgoblin 05 attacks Gilthanas with his long sword (1d20-2): 15, hit for (1d8): 7 damage.
Gilthanas attacks Hobgoblin 02 with a short sword (1d20-3): 10, miss.
Hobgoblin 02 attacks Gilthanas with a long sword (1d20-2): 8, miss.
Hobgoblin 07 attacks Sunstar with his long sword (1d20): 15, hit for (1d8): 6 damage.
Goblin 13 arrives on the scene.
Goblin 14 arrives on the scene.

(OOC: Actions for Round 8?)
Attachments
Key:<br />T - Tasslehoff (Off map)<br />M - Magpie (Off map)<br />R - Riverwind (Off map)<br />S - Sturm (Off map)<br />L - Laurana (Off map)<br />W - Tika<br />g - Gilthanas<br />C - Caramon<br />F - Flint<br />I - Theros (Off map)<br />s - Sunstar<br />r - Raven-eye<br />G - Goldmoon (off map)<br />Tn - Tanis<br />Ra - Raistlin<br />Red Numbers - Goblins<br />Blue Numbers - Hobgoblins<br />Yellow Numbers - Sleeping hobgoblins<br />Pale Numbers - Dead/Dying
Key:
T - Tasslehoff (Off map)
M - Magpie (Off map)
R - Riverwind (Off map)
S - Sturm (Off map)
L - Laurana (Off map)
W - Tika
g - Gilthanas
C - Caramon
F - Flint
I - Theros (Off map)
s - Sunstar
r - Raven-eye
G - Goldmoon (off map)
Tn - Tanis
Ra - Raistlin
Red Numbers - Goblins
Blue Numbers - Hobgoblins
Yellow Numbers - Sleeping hobgoblins
Pale Numbers - Dead/Dying
Fight for Freedom 07.jpg (95.77 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon turns around and follows the others while she can still see them.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Go with her!" Laurana cries, pushing the others away, she watches from the treeline, wishing she had a bow, "Sturm, go with them, I will wait for my Brother and the others." She orders, her voice gaining a firm edge, its obvious she doesnt plan to move.

"Go with them Magpie, Sturm, please, make sure she is safe." Laurana tussles the gully dwarfs hair, "Look after them Magpie."

"Lady not come? What if Elves are mean to me? Call me names like bosses?" The gully dwarf says as she walks away. "You come with me, or me stay." She plants her feet firmly on the ground.

"Very well Magpie, I will come with you." Grabbing the dwarfs hand she darts off intro the brush, her eyes glancing at the wagons one more time before following the others.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Sturm follows grudgingly, smiling as Laurana follows behind. "Thank you." He says to the elf as he follows her.