Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Stik
Baronet
Baronet
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Post by Stik »

Apparently I've misjudged the audience, Martin muses. In the city, the kids would be shouting out additional, and even more creative, ways for the animals to do each other in by now.
Martin looks at Nezza and says: "And that's another reason why I don't do matinees."

"Alright, then. Something a bit...younger." He cracks his knuckles and pushes up his sleeves, then launches into The Sailor Dog, wondering vaguely if the part about the dog's temporary shipwreck and self-rescue might be too frightening, and taking care to make light of it as he goes. Then he follows it with: "This next song is a sing-along. Your part is simple. It's the chorus - that's the part of the song that repeats between verses. It's a wee bit tricky, so listen good and try to keep up. It goes like this:
'Mary Mac's mother's making Mary Mac marry me.
'My mother's making me marry Mary Mac.
'And I'm gonna marry Mary so that Mary can take care o' me
'And I'll be very merry when I marry Mary Mac.'

"Got that? Need it again? Alright, again." He repeats the chorus until the apprentices, and Nezza, mostly have it, then launches into the song, going faster and faster with each tongue-twisting verse and chorus until everyone is tripping over the words.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

That song seems to have been just what the audience has been waiting for. Nezza, Elisa and Lennart join him enthusiastically, it seems they have heard and liked that song before and are glad they have a chance to learn it properly now. As the singing goes faster, Tel drops out first, laughing a bit and looking at the rest of them fondly. Lennart and Elisa keep up with Martin almost to the end, and they look into each other's eyes as they sing along, keeping their rhythm by nodding vigorously. At the end, all lean back in their benches, out of breath, laughing happily.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"I learned that song from a man with two wooden legs named Ulrich. I don't know why he named both his legs 'Ulrich' but he was a strange one. Martin puts away his mandolin and begins fidgeting with his food while he speaks.
"Now, apart from learning to cook, and getting scolded (which I suspect happens a lot - Candida seems to be a bit irritating and unpleasant) - what do you two do to keep yourselves busy? Have a lot of friends, do you? You play your cards right and I might be pursuaded to teach you a few tricks to amaze your friends. Make a pickle pass through a slice of bread without leaving a hole. Vanish a cube of cheese. That sort of thing. It's fake magic, but let me tell you this: fake magic - fake magic - is much more impressive than real magic, because you do it all by yourself."

[OOC] About how old are these apprentices? I was picturing teenagers at first, but judging by the reaction to the animal square dance song, they seem quite a bit younger.[/OOC]
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

(OOC: Teenage (around 15)is right, but they are quite sheltered. Perhaps Elisa is an animal lover and just finds it horrible to picture animals hurting each other? Take it as a personality trait. Lennart might have had a twinkle in his eyes and the corner of his mouth twitching, but would have kept quiet to please Elisa.)

"Oh, Candida is alright" Elisa says. "Just a bit stuffy. And when she thinks someone is lying or making themselves better than they are, she gets really angry. So you really got to her worst side.
She is a great cook and a good teacher. I've been here for a year now, and I know I cook better already than most women in the village I come from."

Elisa's and Lennart's fingers are linked as they talk, they are obviously very fond of each other.

"Well, I have a few childhood friends here, but I don't see much of them any more." Lennart explains. "See, I started helping out here, and then Elisa came to learn to cook, and we, well we fell in love, and I asked to become an apprentice too, so when we have finished learning, we can go back to Elisa's village and take over the inn there. Her uncle is keeping it right now, but he wants to retire." He blushes, but seems quite firm and proud of his future plan.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Ahh, young love. Such a grand thing. I only wish I didn't know now what I didn't know when I was your age. Remember this: always tell each other the truth. Always. It's the best advice I can give you, although I will not be held responsible for the consequences of following it.
"And should a traveling musician or other entertainer show up at the pub you one day hope to run, be kind to him. He's probably had a hard day. Promise me to do that, I shall teach you how to spot when your serving staff is skimming from your till. Fair enough?"

Martin considers his surroundings. Not much to work with here in terms of his goal - finding a way to get to the inside of the smuggling operation. Elisa and Lennart seem a bit too mild-mannered to form the core of his intended Bloodhound Gang. Tel too dim and disconnected. It was time to move on. But first...

"Miss Nezza - owing to the performance I presented last night, I find myself in receipt of a number of dinner invitations in hand, at least one of which is from a married couple of some importance, and without a lady to accompany me. I do not have to tell you of the awkwardness of three people at a table. Might I impose upon you to be my 'plus one' for a few dinners in the next few days? Assuming Tel can survive without you for those few hours, that is."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Well..." Nezza seems pleasantly surprised at Martin's offer, and gives it some thought. "I guess the next few days are going to be a bit slower, because people spent so much money last night. On the other hand, they might come to discuss. But maybe... Elisa, you will need some training in serving the guests, too. Should I talk to Candida and ask her if you can take my place then? Good. And of course, there are the helpers as well."

She now looks directly into Martin's eyes. "Yes, I would very much like to come with you. I have never been into one of these houses. Only, what dress should I wear?"
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"So singularly pleasant are your attributes, Miss Nezza, that I am sure you would turn heads wearing not a single stitch…of finery. But since walking about in not a single stitch tends to be frowned upon in this region, we shall have find something suitable.

"Most of my fashion sense comes from the stage, so I hesitate to advise you, but surely you must have some piece of clothing you save for special occasions, neh? For weddings and holidays and such? Or some friend who might be inclined to lend you something?

"In any case, as my own wardrobe is limited to what is in my rucksack, any garb you choose will make you shine in comparison, so fret not."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Nezza laughs, her head thrown back, at Martin's remark about "not a single stitch of finery". When she catches her breath again, she nods. "Yes, I have a dress I wore as a bridesmaid not too long ago. This was not in Saltmarsh, so people here mostly have not seen it, so I can wear it, I guess. Whom are we going to see, and when?"

(OOC: Sorry, I had replied within a very short time, but the post has been lost. Perhaps I was interrupted before hitting the "submit" button and later forgot about it.)
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Not entirely sure when, at the moment. I have a number of invitations to consider, and must plan my schedule accordingly. I also have some other business in town to consider - I've got to see this guy, about a thing, and another guy about a thing but not the same thing. A different thing. Short story is that it shall be a busy day for me.
"I shall get back to you as very shortly with an answer, if you do not mind waiting. And I trust you shall keep this very quiet, but one of the invitations is from the Couslands."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"The Couslands!" Nezza exclaims as much as one can in a whisper. "They are perhaps the most respected and best liked family in town. Lady Eleanor is really sweet. I will be looking forward to meeting her. She at least will not play haughty when she sees the little barmaid. Bryce will be a little more distant, but he hasn't forgotten that his father was a fisherman like everybody else.

Anyway, you go about your daily business, I go about mine. I will never be far from the inn." Nezza rises and with a wink to Martin, gathers the dishes.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Perhaps later, you might enjoy telling me all you can remember about the Couslands. That way I am well-prepared to converse at dinner. I mean, one wouldn't want to accidentally bring up some family tragedy or other sore spot at a niee dinner, capisce?
"So, I shall see you anon. The dinner party might be tonight, but I suspect tomorrow is the more likely time."
So saying, Martin bows, reaches out for Nezza's left hand, and gives it a quick peck before heading out the tavern door.

Plans and schemes circling through his head, he heads towards the dockside, arranging his route so as to walk past the constabulary, in case he might manage to spot Geraldine.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The constabulary door is open, it looks as if Geraldine had just completed a briefing, two people are coming out chatting, about half a dozen others are still inside, preparing to leave. Geraldine looks up and smiles at him, but does not motion him to come inside.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC]The two chatters - what are they like? Do they look familiar to Martin? Is there anything interesting or noteworthy about them? If so...[/OOC]
Martin will walk along the lane, just barely within earshot of the two in an effort to eavesdrop on their conversation. He will busy himself contact juggling a small crystal ball while doing so. Hopefully this will provide good cover, since everyone knows that contact juggling is extremely difficuly, and walking while doing so is next to impossible.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The two chatters are young men from the town militia, and their conversation is animated but not very insightful to Martin. They talk about the fun they had last night and how they got berated by their father/uncle when coming home so drunk and late they couldn't go out fishing with them, and they were happy to return to a normal schedule now. Then one goes towards his door and when his friend turns to to say goodbye, he sees Martin out of the corner of his eye, looks again, then calls out: "Hey look, yesterday's entertainer is here! Good show, man!"
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Guilty as charged, Constables," Martin says, vanishing his crystal. "I am quite glad you enjoyed the show. My services are available for private gatherings, family parties, public events, and funerals. And I give fencing lessons as well, if you are interested.
"I would like you to know that the populace is grateful for your service. Well, except for those individuals who are doing their best to keep their activities from your notice."