Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Post by Jenara »

"Life is what the Gods give us." Brax responds, far more sober than expected. "We stumbled on this situation by accident, as to the profit. I have not seem much so far, the fabled house of treasure has turned into nothing like we were told."

Moving her body slightly she pulls her legs in closer, her small body shivering slightly. "Those people.... Gunter, Searos, Kim, especially Kim, I care for them, we say some dark things that brought us together as a group." She gives a little smile, "And then there is Mistress Vee, she has the capacity for so much, when she matures, she will be a force to be reckoned with."

"So this Mystery?" She says the subject changing suddenly, as if avoiding discussing Amon and Echo. "We thought Linton was behind it, the obvious choice, but I think all he is guilty of is treating young girls badly, he used to frightened little girls who fight him off.. I was a surprise to him."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Martin tenses slightly at Brax’s words. “Here we go discussing theology again, Radiance. And I must heartily disagree with you. Life is not what the gods give us. Life is what we do with what the gods give us. I was brought up to believe that the gods have a plan for all of us, and that the joy and pain that we receive must be what we deserve.

But based on the things I have seen, that cannot possibly be the case. Or else the gods have no sense of proportion. Or a vicious sense of humor. Or are uncaring. Or idiots. Few people deserve what they get. Fewer still get what they deserve. We take what the gods give us, and we make what we can of it, and that is life.

Seeing Brax shiver, Martin leaves his seat and approaches the bed, where he pulls up a blanket and wraps it around the shoulders of the shivering priestess. Then he returns to the chair.

I will tell you a secret – I was born a prince. Not a crown prince, mind you; I was fourth in line for the throne. Can you believe that? Well, don’t. Because it’s not true. But I did grow up in a noble house – actually several noble houses – and I have seen men, base-born men, with twice as much character and honor as the noblemen born to rank and privilege. There are noblemen and there are noble men. One group deserves great rewards, and one group receives them. I expect I don’t have to tell you which are which. Remind me some day to sing you the song of the Base-born Knight. It will bring tears to your eyes.

And I do see quality in these associates of yours. Kim is a bit of a mystery to me so far. Gunter does a difficult job that nobody perceives, and nobody thanks him for. Searos, well, I think he wants to be a hard-guy, but he can’t bring himself to do it. Vee has vast potential; all she needs is the right mentor.

The two magelings, well, I am not sure quite where they fall. Amon might be like one of the noblemen I just mentioned. Or he could have hidden depths to him. I’m thinking that maybe if I piss him off enough he might forget to be high-and-mighty for a moment so I can see the real him. And Frosty, well, she probably needs to be shaken up a bit. Get her heart broken. Fall on her arse in front of a king. Something like that.

And you; well, I've tended to get in trouble lately for telling people what I think of them, so I’ll just say that I believe there is much more to you than you realize, and leave it at that.

So Linton is innocent, you think. That is…disappointing. I was really hoping that he was dirty. It would be so satisfying taking him down a peg. Back to square one, I guess. Although when playing follow-the-money, it is difficult to ignore one such as he. Perhaps there is a connection somewhere. And what’s your take on the rest of the council? You’re not a local. You don’t have the handicap of knowing who is above reproach.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Yes Linton had nothing to do with the smugglers, I think, innocent? Probably not." Brax responds, considering the Jesters words carefully. "And thank you for the blanket, the air is colder than I expected."

"The rest? I believe they are innocent, a little blinkered, but innocent, they don't seem to see anything bad is going on." she shrugs, her little body moving slightly. "My concern was how such items left the house, and what were they smuggling? Over that I am still at a loss. Perhaps that is something you can consider?"

"As for Amon, his heart is in the right place, he is just new to all of this, give him time." She smiles
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"With some folk, all you need do is look around long enough in their vicinity and you'll find a crime. He seems one of those."

Martin rises from his seat and slings his mandolin behind him. "I thank you for your counsel regarding the Council, and I shall pursue my own inquiries starting tomorrow.

"I bid you good night. And good morrow, in case I do not see you, but I expect I will, for I plan to see you all off." He sketches a small bow, then heads for the door, where he stops and turns back briefly, his hand on the latch. "Just one more question before I depart: am I going to regret not having asked what is under that robe?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Have a good night too Sir, I am sure you will." She responds watching him leave, "Oh, how very inappropriate." Brax giggles, her laughter is quite pretty, musical even, grinning she lowers the slightest piece of the robe at her left shoulder, revealing the very top of her small breast.

"Nothing." She grins wider, "Goodnight, please do not forget to close the door." She adds.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Very glad I did not ask, then," Martin says, smiling. "Sleep well, and do be sure to tell Gunter how toward our visit was. He'll know what you mean."

Martin closes the door behind him and heads back down to the tap room.

"Sorry, folks. Had to go see this guy about this thing for this other guy," Martin says, striding through the crowd. "Floyd - How'd we do?" He gazes into his mandolin case, eyeing up the coins inside to see if there was a significant increase in his absence.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The patrons were generous. Since this is just a small fishing village, the mandolin case glistens mostly with copper, but a few silver pieces shine up. (I rolled 40 copper and 5 silver on percentile dice and a d10). Most of the profit will come from what Tel has made... He and the barmaids look pretty tired, they haven't had an evening like that for years (Please give me some time to estimate the earnings and Martin's share).
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC] No need to hurry on computing the bar receipts. I'm not worried.
Aside from the copper and silver, no gold from the rich folks in the room? I know at least two of the town council are present. :) [/OOC]

Martin addresses his marotte, speaking in a very loud whisper, the kind that carries: "Looks a bit thin, Floyd, a bit thin. All these people here, a long show, music and comedy and fake magic, plus I pissed off that man at table two - he is probably going to be waiting for me outside. I don't know...should we do it?" Martin looks at the crowd.

"The way I see it, you've opened up your hearts and your town to me this evening, and made me feel welcome in Saltmarsh, and this evening is for the hardworking folk of the militia, and we have members of the town council here, who are well known for their generosity. I thnk under the circumstances we can do something especial." He settles on a barstool and puts his fingers to the strings of his mandolin. "When I was young, my family thought it best for us boys to receive a well-rounded education, including catechism with a variety of religious teachers. I say a variety because I would eventually drive them off in a rage by taking those sessions as an opportunity to play a game I like to call: 'Stump the Father.' I'd save up all the odd questions about the gods that I could possibly think of - I'd even make up some trick questions, and then I'd hit the priest with something like: 'Hey Teacher - if a god is all-powerful, can he make a rock so big that even he himself cannot lift it? Huh? Huh?' It got me kicked out of a lot of lessons, but it did afford me the opportunity to listen to the musicians playing in the temple. This is a piece I lifted from there. It's called Toccata e Fuga."

When he has finished playing, Martin waits humbly through the applause. Once it dies down, he says: "I thank you. And we all thank them, let's hear it for the militia, and may the excuse any cases of public drunkenness this evening. And if you see a pair of big, shaggy, wolf-headed men lurking around town, well, they're probably friendly, but don't try to find out. Just talk to your local militiaman. He'll know what to do.
"I'm going to find a bed to sleep in. Good night."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Martin's last performance doesn't draw that much attention anymore, most of the patrons are quite drunk by now, and a number have left. The Council members have long since left, which might be for the better, because Ara would not have liked the "Stump the Father" episode... When he clears out the mandolin case to put the money into his purse, he notices slips of paper that are invitations to dinner (no date specified) by the Couslands and Linton Bronzemoon.
A few of the remaining patrons approach him to express their drunken thanks and the desire that he may stay in Saltmarsh for a long time.
When everyone save the tavern staff seems to have left, Martin spots Geraldine accosted to one of the tables that have already been cleaned, with the seats upturned so that the floor can be wiped in the morning. Her arms crossed, she is obviously waiting for him, and approaches as soon as he has looked at her. "What was the point of mentioning the gnolls?" she confronts him. Apparently, she is almost completely sober.

(OOC: Which of the toccata and fugue do you mean? There must be dozens of Papa Bach and his sons alone ;) )
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC]D Minor - my favorite. It sounds amazing on an acoustic guitar, and even more amazing on an electric guitar...[/OOC]

Martin scoops up the coinage without counting it. Tonight was not about the tips, anyway. It was about making an impression. He usually tips the servers when he plays a tavern, but given tonight's take, that would be difficult. Perhaps tomorrow, when he settles up with Tel.
The unexpected invitations he finds more interesting, and tucks them safely in his hatband. Linton and the Couslands, both of which he planned to call on in the coming days. Now he did not have to finagle his way in. Excellent.

As the place empties out, he packs his gear and settles his mandolin carefully into the case.

When Geraldine approaches, he gestures for her to speak quietly. "Let's take a walk and discuss that," he says, then approaches the bar. "Tel, my excellent good friend, I do hope you found this evening every bit as enjoyable and profitable as we anticipated. No need to rush counting the evening's receipts on my account - we can settle up in the morning, if that pleases you. Yes? Good. I am going to get some air. No need to wait up."

As he passes Nezza on the way toward the door, he says, very quietly: "Should you and your friends wish to wait up, however, there are some other tricks I did not perform for the crowd that I might show you, if you like. I shall return shortly." He still does not have a place to stay in town, and is angling for an invitation from someone. If it involves at least a pair of benches pulled together. If he could parley that into more, so much the better.

Once away from the ears in the tavern, he answers the question: "I didn't mention our gnolls. Not specifically, anyway, and not enough for most folk to understand anything, well, specific.
"But suppose you were a villain who knew about a pair of gnolls on the loose somewhere in town. That little remark might catch your attention, might it not? It might make you wonder what had happened to those two gnolls - where they are, who they might have spoken to, what they might have said. If anyone who was in that tavern knows about the gnolls, now they know that I know about the gnolls. And although they might suspect that I know they know I know, I want them to know that I know that they know that I know that they know, you know?" He pauses then, eyes looking upward and rocking back and forth as he counts, then he nods and looks back at Geraldine. "Put more simply, I am trying to stir the pot. Make the villain come to me. Or perhaps at me, which might possibly be the case. It's all part of my master plan."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Ah, that was the plan" Geraldine nods. "Well, it might or might not have worked. It's not even sure that the smuggler's contact person in town knows about them. They have probably been hiding in the caves during the day and hunted at night, as they are doing now, for quite some time. And the smugglers, at least those that Master Cousland and Miss Soulstaff saw, stayed out of town, they claim they had never seen them before.

What I have thinking about is that we have, at the moment, no way of communication with them. I was wondering if it was a better idea to ask Evgeni and Ludmilla, who have travelled far, if they know gnoll, or ask who has taught Amon."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"I figured: 'Cast thy bread upon the water...' Maybe we get back soggy bread. Maybe we get something useful. Who knows?

"It's possible the smugglers have never ventured into town, but that doesn't seem likely. That the magelings had never seen them before has little bearing on the situation, for even if the smugglers have visited town often, I doubt that the magelings travel in the same social circles as a smuggler would. And that gives me an idea. Tell me, Constable, is there anyplace in town where a man might spend productive time with women of negotiable affection? Because that would be a big draw for sailors. A captain can bring rum and tobacco on a sea voyage, but women? Not if he's got an ounce of sense.

"And I certainly wouldn't mind another chance to work on the gnolls. I haven't changed my opinion on them. They are too dangerous to remain this close to town unsupervised. Sooner or later they will be tempted to start poaching livestock. Or people. Or they'll be discovered and have to defend themselves. Your average farmer or fisherman is no match for one of those things. It can only end in tears. We need to recruit them or relocate them or kill them. But regardless, we need to get as much information out of them as we can, and as quickly as possible. If the musicians can be trusted, I'd gladly make use of their services.

"And, as a bonus, asking about town for someone who speaks the gnoll tongue is another way of breadcasting, which can only be a good thing.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Women of negotiable affection... well, we have mostly fishermen here and not many merchant vessels, so these services are not very much in demand. There are a few women who offer their services in their huts, though." Geraldine says matter-of-factly.

"And I think Evgeni can be trusted to keep a secret, at least for some time. Then his vivacity may win over his caution."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"You see that, constable? My faith in humankind is once again renewed. For it follows like the night the day that where there are men of the sea, there are ladies of the night." Martin continues to stroll, looking like someone pacing whilst thinking, except without the turning around every few feet part.
I think I should like to visit some of these women, to ask them a few questions. And to sample their wares.
Just kidding, just kidding,” he says in response to Geraldine’s disapproving glare. “I don’t want to ask them questions,” he says, sounding serious.
Then he smiles broadly as the constable glares again.
I mean I do want to ask them questions. The wares-sampling is optional. Can’t afford that sort of thing tonight anyway, tonight’s take being so small. I don’t know whether this town is poor or stingy. I can barely live on what I made tonight. And tonight was a big show. This keeps up, I might have to take an actual job.
You’d think that the members of the council might have parted with a bit of gold, wouldn’t you? But then again, I do have some dinner invitations, so I don’t have to worry about going hungry for two days at least.
He continues strolling. “If we can get Evgeni to interpret, maybe I can make some headway with Frick and Frack. The mageling, for all his high ideals, seems to have a practical side. Or he’s a bigot without knowing it. Treat them as people, but don’t actually treat them as people. Keep them away from the real people.” Martin pauses to gather the threads of an idea that has flashed across his mind.
I wonder how it would go over if I were to bring one of the gnolls to dinner as my ‘plus one.’ I mean, Junior said that if we don’t treat them as people, then we are the true monsters. You think that would fly at his parents’ house? No?
Fun to think about, though. Big shaggy tail sticking out the back of a fancy dining chair. Giant teeth cracking marrow-bones at the table. Lady Cousland trying to be the gracious hostess whilst trying not to scream. Brilliant!

"I am seeing the Seagull off in the morning, and if you are willing to make the introduction, I would gladly meet Evgeni afterwards. But now, although moonlit strolls are enjoyable, I really must repair to the tavern to see Nezza and her friends and finagle accommodations for the night. And though it would be sightly less than gallant of me to not walk a lady home, it strikes to me that you need me to walk you home, constable, then we are both in the wrong line of work. Am I right?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Geraldine shakes her head at Martin's remark about Lady Cousland. "You would be surprised at Lady Cousland's courage. She is a sweet soul, but no coward. And I guess that her son's ideals come from her. She would probably shrink back at first, but than be ashamed that she didn't live up to her ideals, and welcome the gnoll at her table, apologising that she hadn't known he was coming and so had no adequate food."

"Still, I do not suggest you take the gnoll with you. He would be safe at the Cousland's house, but not in the rest of town. And because we can't communicate well with them, it would be risky for us, too."

At Martin's last remark, Geraldine laughs outright. "Well yes, I can find my way home safely. And if you don't find accommodation with Nezza, the cell in the constabulary offers a safe haven with a bunk and a blanket any time. I would even leave the door unlocked" she says with a wink. "I will go there and clear up a few things, than go home. You can meet me there tomorrow around noon."