Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Post by Breila »

Saltmarsh. What a dump. Probably can’t even get real booze here.
But, on the plus side, it’s a port. And ports mean ships. And ships mean commerce. And commerce means money. And money means going someplace better.

Martin resisted the urge to weigh his purse. He knows how much money is in there, and there’s no point in advertising where he keeps it. Instead, he takes off his hat, mops his brow briefly with someone else’s expensive silk handkerchief, and resets the hat on his head, hopefully at an appropriately rakish angle. He checks his weapons, making sure they are still in place and sliding easily out of their sheaths – rapier, check; dagger, check; silk bouquet, check; plush duck, check. Good to go.

He then lifts up his bag, sets the strap on his shoulder, and looks over at the white cow, eyeing him idly as it chews its cud behind a roadside fence. “If I come back this way and you’re still here,” he says, “it’s barbecue time. No. Don’t say a word. I’m not going to argue with an entrée.”

He hefts his bag, runs his hands through his hair to make sure his locks are flowing in the proper directions, and begins walking jauntily down the roadway into the village, merrily singing a song about the dangers of the street.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Re: Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Post by Stik »

Name: Martin St Maarten

Physical Description:
Race: Half-Elf
Apparent Age (if different):
Height: 5'-11"
Build/Weight: 180
Hair: Platinum blonde
Eyes: Blue-grey
Complexion: Pale
Identifying Marks (if present):
Clothing: fine clothes but in garish colors, and strange fabrics, with no piece of it matching any other, and a very fine cloak stitched motley-style from scraps of about a hundred different, mismatched colors and types of expensive fabric. He typically wears several belts with a number of belt pouches which hold a bizarre assortment of trinkets and props. Also attached to the belt are a large number of ladies’ favors. Giant wine-red felt hat with a hatband decorated with leather roses, dried flowers and ribbons.
When adventuring - leather manicae and coat with scraps of mail and brigandine plates.

Personal Items usually carried: a wide variety of props, crystals, toys, juggling balls and mundane magic tricks.

Personal Information:
*Personality:
*Skills and Abilities:
*Weapons Used: Rapier, dagger, silk bouquet

Background Information:
*History:
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC] In the interest of time, here's Martin's entire spiel to Tel, presented as if the conversation is going well. It'll look like a huge speech, but it is intended to be one side of a conversation.[/OOC]

Martin will wait until the shoppers - I mean 'adventurers' have left the tavern and will approach Tel at the bar. "I was wondering: do you often have music in here? Comedia? Other performances? Because I believe that I can provide a useful opportunity for you, one from which we may both profit.
"The place does well, I can tell. But it could always do better, neh? So here's what I propose: I am an entertainer. I bring entertainment. Entertainment brings customers. Customers bring money. Money brings profit. Profit brings...well, you get the picture.
"And get this: my first performance will be a tribute to the brave and hardworking constables of this village. That'll bring even more customers in, even people who don't usually frequent this tavern - assuming the constables are well-liked. Are they? Good. So we'll pack the place, and you can't help but make money.

"And now you are waiting for the catch. And of course there must be one. Nobody gives anything away for free. So, for a booked performance, my usual fee is thirty to fifty gold coins, depending on the venue - easy now, wait a moment, because I won't be charging you my usual fee. So, I usually get my fee plus a ten percent of the door. There being no door charge here, I'd accept ten percent of the floor - no - not the floor. You need the floor. Otherwise people will fall through. So how about.... the bar. Yeah, the bar. Ten percent of the bar take to me. And in the spirit of the evening, I will waive my fifty gold fee, so right off you've saved a bundle and you've not spent a penny, but in exchange for me waiving my fee, we must let the constables drink for free, within reason of course. No point having a bunch of drunken constables staggering around with weapons, right? Right.

"Why am I willing to waive my fee, and take a chance on points? Glad you asked. Because I'm new in town, that's why, and I'm looking at this as a way to get a foot in the door. A way to get my name out there. No risk to you, for I won't make money unless you do. If the performance tanks, which it won't, but if it does, I get ten percent of nothing, which is - let me think...nothing, divided by ten, plus nothing, carry the nothing, is...nothing. But if it makes a ton of money, you'll be keeping nine tenths of a ton of money, which is a lot more than you take in on a regular night, yes?" Martin's voice begins rising, taking on a rousing tone: "Think if it, Tel, big profit, no chance of loss, and all you have to do is say: 'Yes, I want to make some money!'.

"And later on, when we do this again, you can think back on the fat bag of coin you took home and we can talk about my fee. Fair enough?"

[OOC] Ditto for Geraldine. Martin will speak with her whenever he gets the chance, whether it is before or after he speaks with Tel. [/OOC]
"Constable, may I have a word with you, please. Or a few words, even? But you must promise to keep this between us, if you please.

"Rough night, eh? Worked a double, whilst the bigwigs were sleeping? I had a rough night, too. Slept in a hayloft, with no company but a goat. And the goat snored.
"You probably don't think too much of me. You probably think I talk too much and make very little sense. But that's just me covering up my problems, like Pagliacci did. I talk and laugh to keep from crying at the injustices I have seen. And I have just this morning seen a huge injustice. Seems to me you and your peers work very hard, for very little appreciation. I mean, Lord Junior and the Ice Queen and that lot are off planning a gala soiree to commemorate their victory, and did they invite you? Nope. Did they invite any of the other constables, who plucked them from the jaws of defeat just a few nights ago? I bet they didn't even ask their rescuers' names, did they? Horrible.

"So here's what I'm thinking: let them have their little victory par-tay. I will host the real heroes right here in this common room. They'll sit around on Daddy's boat, stroking each other's...egos, and the ac-tual heros will have a good time in spite of them. I'll even spring for a few rounds for the constables who rescued them out of my fee. What do you say?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Tel listens to Martin with an ever more confused look on his face. All these numbers and so many words... at some point, he asks Nezza to come over and listen in. At the end, he tries to sum up Martin's proposal.

"So you're telling me you want to do some singing and playing in my tavern tonight, and that will bring in a lot of people, and in return for that, you want ten percent of the money I make at the bar? Would that be what the people pay me for their drinks, or what the people pay me minus what the drink had cost me?"

To speak with Geraldine, Martin's best chance is to go to the constabulary after talking to Tel, she will have gone there after showing Vee and Brax where her friend Chiara keeps her seamstress' service.

She listens to him, but remains quite reserved. "You're right, you're talking too much. People accuse me of doing that, too, but you're outdoing me by far. And you're talking so fast and so much you don't give people a chance to think for themselves. So I find it hard to trust you, though I must admit you have a point or two in what you're saying, in the long run, though it's hard to pick it out from that stream of words."
She closes her eyes for a moment, as if shutting out Martin's presence from her mind to be able to think, she may even cover her ears if he doesn't stop talking.

After a moment, she says. "Well, if you want to invite and entertain the militia, that is your choice. But you should give some thought on how you are going to compensate those who are on duty, if you're so keen on justice" the last word is stressed with a smirk. "After all, we have to patrol the village border to make sure the gnolls stay true to their word."
She gets up. "If you would excuse me now, I have to organise the patrols. What we did when we helped the group out of the haunted house, that was just our duty. We probably should have cleared it out years ago. It will be nice to have free drink and entertainment while we discuss it. But I want to let you know that I really wonder what you're after with all this."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Singing, playing, comedy, and amazing feats of prestidigitation. An amazing spectacle bound to make people smile and cheer. Having been some days in preparation, a splendid time is guaranteed for all.” For emphasis, Martin ‘appears’ a crystal, then ‘vanishes’ it again. “And Nezza here can assist me, if she so chooses. A stage conjurer can always use a dazzling assistant.” He throws her his winningest smile.

Ordinarily, my share it would be one tenth of the total receipts for the night, but hey, I'm new in town, and nobody knows me yet, much to their misfortune, and this will be a chance for me to get my name out there, so for you, for once, I can go net - one tenth of the markup. Have we a deal?"

================================================

"Good question, constable. Clearly I would not disrupt the evening's watch rotation. Those on duty shall have to remain on duty. Then can come by afterwards, if they like.

The militia don’t get the credit they deserve. No militia does, anywhere. People just don’t think about them. When I heard this so-called ‘victory party’ being planned, with no mention of the militia being invited, I thought: ‘Hey, I’m uninvited, too. Maybe we can be uninvited together.’ I just need to make sure that the militia folk involved in the rescue are personally invited. Can you make that happen? Grazie, grazie.

As Geraldine turns to leave, Martin has one more thing to say: “Doing something because it is your duty doesn’t make it any less heroic. Never forget that.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Tel shrugs. "Why not try it. OK, we have a deal. You can entertain my guests, and you get a tenth of my earnings from the bar of the day. But you must wait until after dinner to start. Because if you're really as captivating as you tell me, people will eat less while they watch."

Geraldine turns back. "Do you really think that being as disruptive as you are, pitting people against each other, will earn you welcome?
And we were no heroes. The smugglers must have seen us coming, they had left by the time we entered the house. And because Amon Cousland could direct us, we knew the layout of the place.

And you'll have to find someone else than me to »invite« the militia. Though I guess that won't even be necessary. Everyone not on duty or at work is generally at Tel's tavern in the evening."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Capital, Tel. Most excellent. So I shall see you later today, then. And it would not hurt to pass word of tonight's event to any and all comers."

================================

"I seek no disruption at all, Constable, nor to pit people against each other. I see an opportunity to redress the error that others have made. Perhaps they will realize their error when they receive my invitation, and will come to share in the festivities. It's not as if I plan to debut some satirical opera about the events of the past few days. I mean, I probably could come up with something horribly caustic, rooted partly in a very narrow selection of the facts, but what would be the point?
"Please, let me delay you no more. Just tell me the names of the rescue party, so I may invite them properly, and I will be out of your hair. And you are of course invited."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Geraldine shakes her hair back, then crosses her arms in front of her, which emphasises both impressive biceps and a very nice bust.

"I could get you arrested for disrupting the peace of this town, and call a mage to put a silence spell around the cell so you can't fast-talk any of my deputies to let you out. But you would probably find another means to escape, you seem to be a resourceful man.

But somehow, it seems that between all your babble, you have something to say. So why don't we sit down and you tell me, in plain simple Common, what you want from me and the people of this village?"

She gestures to a small sitting area by the (unlit) fireplace in her office.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Colorful speech is the curse of my profession, Constable, but I will do my best to speak plainly.
I did not come to Saltmarsh with any particular goal in mind. But now that I have heard of this mystery, I think I should like to solve it. And if that comes with an opportunity for fame and fortune, so much the better.
As an outsider, I do not have the disadvantage of knowing who is beyond reproach. And perhaps such an objective observer is what this situation needs.
Turns out, though, that the back room of Tel’s tavern is what we in my profession would call ‘a tough room’ and my attempts to offer such objectivity to those already investigating the mystery have been misunderstood, and some appear to have taken offense.
Tonight’s event is my attempt at fence-mending, and at the same time a reminder to the folk I have supposedly wronged of the importance of accepting help. Plain enough?
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Geraldine laughs, a free, open laugh. "Plain enough for me to understand, yes.

You see, for the two young mages, it was the first test of their abilities, and as it was a size too big for them, surviving it probably feels like victory. The rest of the group are strangers like you, so I don't know them. But they felt cozy and good about themselves when you crashed in and told them how much they did wrong. They probably rejected the messenger because they didn't like the message."

A knock on the door interrupts Geraldine. The door opens, and Bryce Cousland comes in. "Good afternoon, Gerry. Are the plans set up?"
Geraldine stands up. "I'm not completely finished, I got interrupted" - she points to Drake - "but the next two days are done. I'll bring the plans out to the duty rooms." She gathers some papers from her desk and leaves the room, closing the door behind her.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"The other curse of my profession - telling men the hard truths they would not want to come to on their own. I can see now how such incisiveness would have made them uncomfortable. It is a difficult thing, learning that we're only immortal for a limited time. Having a bulette invade the pottery shop on the heels of that would be upsetting.
"But as I have said, I will extend an olive branch this evening."

On Cousland's arrival, Martin will smile: "I'm the interruption. I am called Drake, sirrah, and am pleased to see you again - you are on the Town Council, yes?
"A fortuitous meeting this is, indeed, then, for it allows me opportunity to offer an invitation in person that I had thought to send via messenger. I am performing this evening in Tel's tavern - music and merriment and various other wonders, dedicated to the hardworking men and women of the town militia, and celebrating their recent heroic action, and that of the intrepid band that penetrated the mansion on the bluff. If it please you, ringside seats await, for yourself and your fellow council members. The current lightness of my purse precludes me from offering to 'host' you, but I am willing to take requests for songs or tales of you choosing, should same be in my repertoire, for no charge."

[OOC] Two questions:
Is Geraldine leaving Martin alone in her office, with the door closed, or with Cousland?
and
If he is to be left in there alone, does the door have a lock on it? I'd hate for him to be locked in the room, you see.
[/OOC]
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Bryce Cousland listens to Drake with a friendly smile. "A performance, why not? It will be a nice change from out everyday lives. Though it would be a little early to celebrate what we did about that old mansion. I have the feeling we have seen less than half of what there is. But since, from what Amon tells me, we have another two weeks to wait for a solution, we might as well enjoy ourselves.

And as for me, I do not want any special seat or special treatment, I prefer to mingle with my men and women. And since there is no stage at Tel's, you will probably be walking through the aisles anyway."

Cousland nods to Drake and leaves the room, leaving the door open. After exchanging a few words with the on-duty militiamen and Geraldine, he leaves the constabulary.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"As you like it, sirrah, and if you would be so kind, please extend my invitation to your peers in the council. And thank you for attending, your presence at my local debut will surely make this an even more special event."
That said, Martin waits two beats, giving Cousland a chance to exit, using the time to surreptitiously survey Geraldine's office, then strides out himself, singing "A Beneficio di Signor Aquilone" and stopping halfway through the main room to say "Sundown tonight, good constables, at Tel's. Be there and be amazed, or amused, or both," then resuming his song as he exits.

From there, he heads to the docks and anywhere else people gather in town, and begins working the crowd, shilling his show.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

When questioned for a reliable messenger, Tel chuckles. "Well, if you have a written message, you can ask Hank, my stable hand. He's not the brightest of mind, but reliable and stubborn. He won't give up unless the message is taken. In fact, people know he will annoy them until they do. Everyone in town knows that. As a backup, or if it's a spoken message, I'd suggest you asks Pete who helps out in Brian's store. For a silver, he will happily deliver."

As there is no stage in Tel's inn, he and Nezza have arranged the tables to leave a small open space in front of the bar, moving the bar stools to the sides along the walls for people to sit on with their heads over the crownds. Even before sundown, the place begins to fill, many people thinking they best secure their places early and have their supper here. Tel, of course is happy for the extra business. At sundown, he declares: "last orders before the kitchen closes" and gives Martin the go-ahead.

The place is nearly packed now, extra stools have been brought out and were needed at almost every table. The crowd is mostly human, but a family of dwarves is seated on one of the front tables. Another one, to the side, is occupied by the council, plus Eleanor Cousland and Miranda Bronzemoon. Ara, the cleric, wears a rather stern look. Some of the people in the crowd who look less like fishermen or herders, but rather like hunters, could have elven blood. Just then, the door opens and a group of halflings, nursing their pipes, comes in.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

No stage - no matter. Martin’s worked small places before. Street corners even. No gig too big or too small, that’s his motto – or would be, if he had one.

Two benches pulled together at one end of the room. That’d be enough to keep him visible, and insulated at those times when he didn’t want to be among the crowd. Good crowd tonight. A nice mix of fishermen and shopkeepers and herders and militiamen. And quite a few notables. A few elves, dwarves and halflings to round it out. Should be a fun gig.

He’s traded in his field gear for his “street clothes,” the bright canary yellow shirt, purple and orange striped suede waistcoat, cerulean leather breeches and a striped codpiece with brass buttons, mismatched boots – one black, one red. He’s pulled the jingle bells on their ribbons out from the armholes of his waistcoat and wears his oversized hat. His face is painted for the evening, white on one side and yellow on the other, a grinning sun facing a grinning moon.

He waits until the crowd has had a bit of time to drink, then watches carefully for them to start looking restless, wondering where the entertainment is. It’s a balancing act – the wait has to be long enough for tension and a bit of noise to build, but not long the place to get boisterous.

His siren whistle cuts through it as he strides in, all flounce and jingle, heading for his benches. He mounts the makeshift stage and says in a loud, clear voice: “Your headliner will be out shortly, so don’t start throwing things!” then, more quietly: “My name is Vasili, and it is my pleasure to entertain you this evening.

He swings his mandolin around front and begins playing.

Badly.

Really badly. As if he’d never seen a mandolin before.

It only lasts for a few seconds before he looks up at the crowd, as if panic-stricken, then smiles and launches into the Buenos Nochas intro to Živojinović’s The Strange Village – an intricate flamenco piece which highlights his fast hands. In the calm bit after the wild intro, he stops and stares at his hands as if amazed, then says: “I must have had…mandolin lessons!” then he plunges on with the rest of the song.

After finishing The Strange Village, he slides his mandolin around to his back and launches into a long and slightly off-color tale concerning a late-night tavern encounter with a much older woman who tried to entice him into a romantic encounter by offering him the opportunity to make love to a mother and daughter at the same time, then leading him to her cottage, walking him inside and calling out: “Ma! Are you awake?”

And that’s when I left Irongate and crossed the Azure Sea. On foot. I mean, with the right motivation a man can do anything, neh? Didn’t even get my boot cuffs wet, I ran so fast.

And now it’s Saltmarsh. Home of the most outstanding militia on the coast. And let’s hear it for them.

We also have some notables here this evening. The entire town council is here! So if you owe them any back taxes, just try to keep your head down, and I’ll cover for you. Actually, I had the pleasure of meeting Bryce Cousland this morning, and found him to be a true gentleman, so I don’t know what you were talking about, buddy,” he says, targeting a random member of the audience.
And I am given to understand that this fine lady is Eleanor Cousland, yes?” Martin’s voice takes on a conspiratorial tone as he stage-whispers: “pssst – Master Cousland – you did very well for a former fisherman. Good on ya!” Then, to the audience, Martin says: “Actually, I am expecting the youngest Cousland to appear later this evening, so let’s make him, and his friends, welcome when they arrive, shall we? Meanwhile, who wants a song?

He launches into a few sea songs, starting with one that tells of a seaside serving girl who pines for a sailor she loves, a man who will not marry her, for his only true love is the sea.

His first set lasts almost half an hour, during which he praises the militia three times. He signals the end of his first set by stopping suddenly, looking down toward his left hip, then pulling out his marotte, Floyd, with which he has a brief quiet conversation. Then he says: “Floyd here has just reminded me that guild rules require that I take a short break. So I’ll return shortly. Drink well, folks. It makes the jokes sound funnier and the music sound better.