Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Martin (Stik) Private Thread

Post by Breila »

"Keep their activities from our notice?" The man who is at his doorstep frowns. "He means the wrongdoers!" his comrade laughs, punching the first man into the side slightly. After laughing, he cocks his head to the side and asks Martin: "How come you think you know the mind of the people here better than we do?"
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"I've been to a lot of places and I've and met a lot of people, and do you know what? People's minds are the same everywhere.

"A great many people came to the pub last night, and all of them walked home afterwards. And how many of them were accosted by bandits or devoured by ghouls or chased by bears? I am guessing somewhere between zero and none. And that is thanks to your efforts.

"But, as I mentioned last night, people are so wrapped up in their day-to-day grind that they forget to realize how good they have it. Part of my job is to take the blinders off the average man and remind him of things he already knows, but forgot to think about.

"I don't think I know their mind any better than you do, but being from elsewhere, I tend to notice things a local might not. My livelihood depends on that skill."

While Martin speaks, his mind races. He's seen this line of questioning before. Is the constable deliberately taking exception to Martin's statement with the intention of picking an argument, or, worse yet, a fight? It would not be in his best interest to duke it out with a lawman, should it come to that. But if the constable is thinking about starting something perhaps the mention of teaching fencing lessons will give him pause.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The speaker folds his arms across his chest. "Well, maybe you've noticed from hanging around with our lieutenant, we Saltmarshers like the direct word. So why don't you tell me what you're after, and I'll see what I can do for you?"
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Ah, the infamous Saltmarsh brevity. Well, 'to expostulate what day is day, night night, and time is time, were nothing but to waste night, day, and time. Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief.'

"I want to find your smugglers. My reasons for wanting to do so, and what I shall do with them afterwards, are my own concerns. But be rest assured it will cause no harm to your town.

"As to your lieutenant, well, she has been friendly to me. And she has a nice rack, neh? What more reason do I need?

"So, what can you do for me, friend?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"The smugglers..." the militiaman nods to his comrade, who retires into his house, then motions to Martin to join him on his walk.
"I guess no one really looked into them because they were very keen on avoiding meddling into the local affairs. No one in town has sported extra, unexplained wealth, there was no violence, nothing was unsettled. So it was easy to pretend everything was all right. I'm not saying no one in town was in on it, but they were very careful about it, and whoever it was is not given to boasting.

There is a lot of trade going on, more than you would expect in such a small town, and if the goods smuggled were small and valuable, they could be easily hidden in the regular cargo going in and out and being stored here."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"A philosopher once told me that if you place a frog in a pot of hot water, he will jump out. But if you place a frog in a pot of cool water, he will stay put. If you then put the pot over the fire, the frog will stay there blissfully unaware that the water is getting hotter and hotter by degrees until he eventualy boils to death. And do you know what I said to that? 'Does that work? And is that the best way to boil a frog? I am going to try that!'

"But then, later, long after the philosopher had thrown his cane at me, and chased me from the library steps, I sat and pondered the deeper meaning of his words. He was saying that if bad things happen, and people do nothing about it, life gets worse and worse a little bit at a time. But people don't notice it. And then one day you get up out of bed and your once fine town is a hive of scum and villainy, like Hexpool or Highport. So I walked back the library to return his cane. But he had already gone.

"Can't have smugglers wrecking the fabric of this fine community, and I mean to have a stern discussion with them.

"But that is a matter for another time, I suppose. Today, I feel like seeing said fine community, and taking in its sights and entertainments. Any recommendations?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The man laughs. "Entertainment? Good jester, the entertainment you provided yesterday was the best we had in years! Usually, entertainment here is gossip, good food, cider and ale, and maybe some gambling. Taking a good look at the girls, too. Let your fingers and other members have a look, as well" he winks.

"As for the sights, it's mostly the landscape around here. A few of the houses are nicely built. Those of the councilmen are reputed to be nice from the inside, with collection items to the tenant's taste, but they are invitation only. The temple is nothing spectacular. Ara Redbow, our head cleric, is an austere person and she prefers coin or other donations she can hand down to the needy to temple decorations if an offer is called for.

In the street leading from the town square to the temple, you'll find the workshops of a few fine craftspeople, if that's of any interest to you.

What might be the most interesting now is the old alchemist's mansion. Now that it has been cleared out, it's probably safe to explore. If the floorboards hold, that is."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

I saw the mansion on my way here. Probably a magnificent place before the fall, but now it looks dreadful. Nice place to sprain an ankle, if you ask me, or count rat turds. I’m amazed the place hasn’t burnt down. All that old dry wood, sitting up high on the hill, looks like lightning bait to me.

I suppose I shall have to stop by the temple at some point, if only to argue with this high priestess of yours. I love arguing with preachers. They get so angry when you ask them difficult questions.

And I’d like to meet a couple of your local roundheels. They always have interesting stories to tell.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The man cocks his head and raises an eyebrow. "Those you will find in the houses behind the waterfront storehouse. But I'd wait a little bit before going to see them. They're generally grumpy if someone calls before noon. Teatime is best" he says with a wink. Then he leans close "Try the peacock house. The 'mother' there is called Leandra. Tell her Derek has sent you."

They have reached a nice little house with a sturdy oak front door. Just as they're passing, the blinds are opened from the inside. A young woman fastens them, and Derek wastes no time, kissing her fondly on her full lips. As they pull apart, she giggles. "You're crazy, Derek" she says and closes the thin linen curtains.

At the door, Derek turns around and shakes hands with Martin. "Nice to have met you, Drake"

(OOC: time to move to the "Martin and Reller" thread to meet Kafen's character)