Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 6: Solace

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

CH 6: Solace

Post by JadedDM »

The scene bears no resemblance to the lofty forest that was here only a week ago. The beautiful and legendary vallenwood trees have been hacked, uprooted, and burned. Only a few of the mighty trees still stand among a vast ruin of blackened branches and low, thick stumps.

The elegant tree-city of Solace is now only a few ramshackle huts on the ground amidst the wreckage. South of the city, strange creatures are building a tall pole fence. Apparently they intend to fence in the ravaged community.

In a central square cleared of scorched branches and smashed homes, many blackened stakes have been driven into the ground, like a dark parody of some ancient temple of the true gods.

Unlike Que-Kiri, however, Solace is not a ghost town. A few lights twinkle in the windows of some of the buildings, and humans, dwarves, and elves can all be sen aiding in the construction of the fence. They seem to be taking orders from a number of whip-wielding dragonmen. Many other bands of dragonmen are visible poking through the brush of the fallen trees. These bands are heavily armed, and seemed to be organized into patrols.

As darkness falls, lights begin to flicker in a number of buildings in town. Luckily, the guard patrols seem casual. They have conquered this town, and expect no resistance. It seems as though slipping into town should be easy.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Re: CH 6: Solace

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I've heard stories of this place," Sunstar whispers. "This...is not at all what I imagined it would look like. "
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"What a shame" Goldmoon whispers as she sees the ruined and upended trees. For her, a woman of the plains, they held no emotional value, but she had admired them when they came into town. Seeing them dead now was a sobering reminder of how easily things could be destroyed. Suddenly, tears fill her eyes. Who was she, who were they, to think they could work against forces that brought about such destruction? Yet - they had the gods on their side. She swallows hard and, taking Riverwind's hand, waits for the group's decision on how to go on.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tanis is stunned into silence for several minutes. Although Laurana insisted they were his people, Tanis never felt home with the elves. To him, home had always been Solace. And now it was practically in ruins, horribly burned.

Once he finally manages to get a hold of himself, he turns to the group. "We should head to the inn. And keep a low profile. Let's get what we need, and then leave first thing in the morning."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Oh my." Laurana stands motionless for sometime before finally speaking. "Yes, the inn, food." She manages to say, "Tanis I am sorry, your home...." Placing a hand on his shoulder she looks straight at him.

"Home burnt? Home look like Magpie's home, me like it." The Gully dwarf mutters to herself as she looks around, this was not what she expected at all.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Come, let us move." Sturm says, taking in the sight of his home in ruins he pulls his cloak around his body, hiding his fathers Armor.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Riverwind also is overwhelmed with the degree of destruction, that a verdant forest could be subjected to such destruction within a week.
As Goldmoon grabs his hand, he turns to her and say "These events will change not only our lives, but those of the whole world around us. We. me and you, must keep the faith and return the old Gods to power to defeat this draconian scourge. I know the bleeding of the commoners will pull at your heart strings, but you must stay focused at the end goal. We can do it."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

As the party enters the town, they can see the remains of the Inn of the Last Home, once lodged in the branches of a vallenwood tree, sitting somewhat awkwardly on the ground. Now only half remains, but makeshift walls and kitchen allow it to be open for business.

Many other buildings sprawl on the ground, most of them smashed beyond recognition. Fires smolder here and there amid the wreckage, and survivors scratch through the rubble in search of a few former possessions. Moans of pain and the cries of babies carry throughout the town.

Of those survivors, the party notes none are young and healthy men. They are all women or too old or young.

The only businesses other than the inn that have survived are a large blacksmith shop which was always on the ground and a battered general store which apparently landed on its side and was righted. It seems the Draconians have completely taken over these two places.

Sturm ties his horse off outside, and then they step into the inn. A smoky fire struggling in the blackened stove, feebly challenging the gloom in the town. In sharp contrast to the usual lively crowd, the few patrons present are lost in their own thoughts. No one smiles, nor does anyone seem interested in the arrival of a few more customers.

A thin, cloaked figure sits alone at a table near the door, an untouched glass of ale before him. Three old men crouch above a table in the back of the inn, staring silently at the dirty tabletop. The usually bustling inn is otherwise empty.

One familiar note carries good cheer with it, however: the aroma drifting from the kitchen--a mixture of onions, chives, garlic and mysterious herbs--shows that Otik Sandeath still rules the realm of cooking. The cheery sizzling can only mean that his famous spiced potatoes are heating even now over glowing coals.

Suddenly, the door of the makeshift kitchen bursts open, and the spill of torchlight outlines the figure of Tika the barmaid. She holds a steaming pan in her right hand, a foaming pitcher in her left. "Sit down!" she orders, her loud voice out of place in the somber town. "Git somethin' to eat--you look like a pack of starved rats." Her voice falls as she approaches: "and then we've got to talk."

Tika guides the party to a table in the rear and pulls out a couple of extra chairs for them, as they have such a large party. "What'll it be?" she asks.
Attachments
Chapter Six.jpg
Chapter Six.jpg (85.64 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
Key:<br />Red dots - The party<br />Blue dot - Cloaked Stranger<br />Green dots - Old men
Key:
Red dots - The party
Blue dot - Cloaked Stranger
Green dots - Old men
Inn of the Last Home 01.jpg (161.83 KiB) Viewed 10943 times
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Laurana walks into the inn in silence, pulling her hood over her head she wraps the red cloak around her body. Was the rest of the world like this? Was her home a ruin too?

She sits quietly pulling up her own chair and one for Magpie. "Sit please." she beckons the gully dwarf to her.

"Me sit. Why people sad? This place clean, hardly any mess." she asks the elf as she sits down.

Sturm nods to the girl pulling out a seat for Goldmoon and Sunstar, before sitting himself.

Laurana cannot help but watch the thin figure, despite the hunger she felt.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Tas is quiet through the walk to the inn. He stays close to Sturm and secures a left flank as they walk. As serious as a kender can be, he sits down and smiles at the sight of Tika despite himself. "Do you have any rabbit?" Tas asks hopefully.
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon smiles a "thank you" to Sturm as he pulls out their seats.
To Tika, she says: "Whatever smells so good will be the right thing for me, plus a mug of ale."
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Aye, spiced potatoes over here, too, and a mug of ale," Flint says.

"Just water. Hot," Raistlin adds.

"Hmm, I'll go with the spiced potatoes, too," Tanis says.

"Whatever soup you have is good enough for us," Raven-eye says, gesturing to himself and his sister.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

"Meat and Potatoes, and a mug of ale here." Riverwind say as he walks to the chair on the east side of the table, sitting so he can see the door.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Spiced potatoes please, and some ale." Sturm says to Tika, nodding to Goldmoon and Sunstar, he too watches the Cloaked Stranger.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Rabbit?" Tika asks Tas, but shrugs. "I'll see what we got. I'll be right back," she says, and turns to saunter off into the kitchen to get everyone's order.

After what seems forever for the hungry group, Tika comes back with everyone's order. She takes the time to place everyone's food in front of them. She puts the pan of potatoes in the middle so that everyone can have a share, and then she sits down with the group. "So, I've been thinking recently," she says softly to the group. "I want to get out of here."