Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 3: Trouble Arises

Dragonlance Game, 3-6 PCs at levels 1-3, set in 375 AC, using DLQ1 (Knight's Sword) and DLQ2 (Flint's Axe)

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

CH 3: Trouble Arises

Post by JadedDM »

The morning dawns bright and early, a typical beginning to a beautiful day. Erastin and the other knights-to-be have arisen, tended to their morning rituals, and eaten breakfast. Most of Erastin's compatriots do not anticipate enjoying the day's trials; if they are anywhere near as difficult as Sir McKennen hinted, many do not predict surviving the day. All of the candidates now sit at the breakfast tables, conversing.

When Lord Aeric Truehilt, today’s instructor, arrives, the candidates stand, ready to begin the trials. Thus, it comes as a total surprise when he instead announces, "Everyone to the High Council Hall. Now. No questions. Don’t worry about dressing for the occasion. The High Justice must tell you something." His tone brooks no argument, and his thunderous demeanor dares anyone to defy him.

Meanwhile, the rest of the party awaken to the sounds of booted feet and armor clanging down the hallways. A steward comes and knocks at each of their doors. "I'm sorry," the steward explains. "There has been an incident. I need to ask everyone to come with me."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Re: Day Three (Trouble Arises)

Post by HorizonsDream »

Galenye groans at being woken up. Though, it dawns on her that something might have happened during the trails as she isn't exactly sure what time it is. She quickly gets dressed and joins the steward. "The candidates are okay, right?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Since he is a seasoned warrior, Karathos is quick to rise. He just puts on his trousers, not bothering with a shirt or armor. He takes his battle axes and joins the steward. "What is it?" he asks.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

A quick glance outside confirms Galeneye's suspicions. It's so early, the sun is just now beginning to make an appearance.

"The candidates are fine," the steward explains. "They are meeting with the High Council as we speak. When you are ready, I can take you to grab a quick breakfast. They should be finished by then, and then your questions can be answered by the candidates themselves."

Looking down the hall, they can see that other stewards are waking up other visitors, friends and family of the candidates, as well.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Erastin, dressed in a simple white shirt and breeches puts his breakfast down and rushes off to the High Council chamber as soon as he is asked. He does not even take his blade.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

When Erastin arrives, he finds many of the other knights gathered there as well. Many look stern and unforgiving while others are simply outraged. Various knights tug at their mustaches in anxiety or tightly controlled fury. It is easy to see, however, that many knights have already departed for their homes after the Spring Council, for there are numerous vacancies in the seating.

The candidates are ushered rather firmly into the corner. Uth Wistan and the other High Knights arrive. They seat themselves without ceremony and speak the Oath. The Grandmaster immediately speaks, wrath evident in his voice.

"Apparently, I was wrong about the supposed traitor in our midst," he says. "Just last evening, someone broke into the sanctified Chamber of Paladine and stole the sword from a dead man’s chest! What is worse, this sword served to symbolize all that is good and noble in the knighthood. Because of the misplaced faith in one of our knights, the body of Sturm Brightblade lies violated! If this were for a good cause, the insult to the dead would not be so grievous. As it is, the offense is unparalleled.

"I want the candidates to dress themselves in their armor, gather their weapons, and begin to search for the perpetrator. Bring the culprit back for justice, and restore the honor of the knighthood! Use everything, and I mean everything, you have learned here, heard here, and seen here in this tower to track the guilty party. If you have companions you trust well, you may include them in your quest.

"I hereby open the entirety of the Tower for your perusal. I expect any knights present to give you whatever help they may. I am not certain that the malefactor has left the environs, but we have to assume that it is a distinct possibility. Prepare yourselves for long journeys, but make sure you are thorough in your search.

"The one who finds the missing sword shall be allowed to completely bypass any requirements of becoming a squire, and will be directly knighted. If none of you finds the blade within three months, knights shall ride out to search for it. I bid you all good day, and good luck. May the Three Gods aid you."

With that, he and the other High Knights take their leave, leaving the candidates to talk amongst themselves in confusion and surprise.

"This is simply outrageous," Geffin says. "First an assassin, then a thief who dares to steal the legendary Brightblade right from under our noses!"

"Yeesh, that was unexpected," Erik says to the taciturn Farkas. "But hey, on the bright side, guess that means the trial for today is canceled. And if we find that sword, we can skip them entirely!"
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Sir Sturms Blade, missing, this is not good." Erastin mumbles quietly during the speech, "I am sure all of you would prefer the Blade to be intact and to face the Trials, instead of this." He comments to Erik and Farkas.

"But yes, this is indeed a bad day, an outrage as Geffin has said." He turns to leave, "I am going to explain the situation to my friends, I trust them, they have skills we do not."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Targin, Selowen, Jinali, Karathos and Galeneye are led to the kitchen for a brief breakfast, along with the other civilian visitors. Karathos notices the blonde woman among them, but doesn't have a chance to speak with her.

After eating, they are brought outside the High Council Hall. Moments later, the doors swing open and the knights and candidates pour out, looking either concerned, outraged, or a little of both.

"Oh, yeah," Erik says in reply to Erastin. "It's really, uh, devastating. C'mon, Farkas. Let's go gear up." The stoic Farkas merely nods, and the two head off.

Erastin spots his companions waiting for him as he steps out into the hall. Selowen speaks first. "What is it? Not another assassin, I hope?"

The other candidates begin grouping together into clusters, discussing the news they just received. The knights themselves mill outside the hall, arguing among themselves.

Sir Rateliff stands beside the door to the hall, stroking his long mustache. Over in the corner, Sir Charles argues with the beautiful blonde. Their voices do not carry, but their cadences do rise above a whisper occasionally, giving you no doubt that Charles is rather upset. Geffin hurries off after his uncle, no doubt hoping to get more information from the Grandmaster.

===============

It is currently half past Morning Watch (6:30 AM).
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"What is going on out here?" Galenye asks as she looks at the gathering. "The knights seem to be at a loss."
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Targin also rises and exits his room to accompany the rest to breakfast.

When they get to the hall, he is surprised to see the chaos permeating the room. The knights normally present a better demener.

"What be the problem Erastin?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Karathos stands in the back, waiting for Erastin to give them information.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"There is indeed a problem." Erastin says as he sits down near Galenye, "The Sword of Sturm Brightblade has been stolen." He says with a dour expression, "The Candidates have been tasked with finding the Blade, and returning it here."

"Additionally if a Candidate finds the sword, he is to be Knighted without question." He adds, seemingly more interested in returning the blade. "Will you aid me?" He asks the Group. "The Blade of Sturm, Brightblade it is called." He frowns thinking of the blade.

"It was kept in the Tomb we visited on the first day." He thinks for a moment. "It was the weapon of the Brightblade Family. The sword is long with a silvery blade engraved with Dwarven runes for friendship and peace. It has a golden handle and crosspiece with a red gem on the blade held by twin twirling strips of gold, with a Kingfisher and rose."

"The blade is said to never show a nick, scratch, or any rust, and it would never break until the man wielding it broke first." He looks at them once more. "It is a true symbol of the Knighthood."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Is taking something from a tomb as terrible a crime in your lands as it is in mine?" Karathos asks. "In our country, this is the greatest dishonor you can imagine, both to the one taking it and to the family of the one it was stolen from."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I can't believe it was stolen right under the knight's noses," Galenye says in disbelief. "But, I'll help, sure," she says. "We should probably check the tomb first. The thief might have left some clues."
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Agreed, I was going to suggest that." He pauses thinking of the Blonde Woman, "Additionally, has anyone else seen a Blonde Lady Wandering around, she always seems to be around, does someone want to talk to her?"

Thinking of Geffin he smiles. "And I guess I should talk to the Grandmaster."