Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 2: Trials and Diversions

Dragonlance Game, 3-6 PCs at levels 1-3, set in 375 AC, using DLQ1 (Knight's Sword) and DLQ2 (Flint's Axe)

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Day Two (Trials and Diversions)

Post by JadedDM »

The two horses begin charging toward one another, gaining in speed. Within seconds, they are upon each other, their lances set. Having trained for this, Erastin knows what to do. He positions his horse just right, avoiding Farkas' lance and striking with his own, the padded tip impacting on the warrior's chest plate.

As the two horses pass each other, Farkas flails and drops his lance, his arms going limp. He remains on his horse, which eventually slows to a halt when it realizes its rider is no longer guiding it.

A couple of medics on standby quickly help get Farkas off his horse and lay him on the ground, removing his helmet. Confirming he was still alive, they begin to drag him aside, so he doesn't get trampled by the other jousters.

"Knocked him out cold," McKennen comments from behind Erastin. The candidate had not been aware the sergeant was watching. "Nice technique. You continue to help restore my faith in your generation, Rivenguard," he says. Looking around for another victor, he snaps his fingers and calls out. "Hey, Red! You and Rivenguard now."

Eric, who was still beaming over defeating his own opponent, turns and looks, his helmet in his lap. He glances to McKennen, then Erastin, and finally the unconscious Farkas. That last sight makes him blanch a bit. Nevertheless, he puts on his helmet and gets into position.

===========

(OOC: No initiative is necessary in jousting, as both opponents move at the same time.)

Round 1!

Erastin attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+3): 18, hit for (2d8+3): 14 damage (4 real, 10 temporary).
Farkas attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+2): 8, miss.

Farkas makes a Riding check (1d20): 8, pass.

Farkas is knocked out but remains on his horse.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Erastlin Gets into position himself, Lance at the ready he charges when Eric is ready.

1d20+3, 2d8+3=[10, 3], [7, 5, 3]

Hit AC 7 (miss I assume) would have done 15 damage.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Erik and Erastin charge each other on their respective horses, but neither is able to hit the other as they pass. Turning their horses, they prepare for the next charge. It seems Erik doesn't intend to take Erastin as lightly as Farkas did.

==========

Round 1!

Erastin attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+3): 13, miss.
Erik attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+2): 16, miss.

Round 2!

Both opponents get back into position.

(Actions for Round 3?)
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

1d20+3, 2d8+3=[14, 3], [5, 3, 3]
Hit AC 3, 11 damage.

Erastlin lines back up for a second attack, lowering his lance.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Karathos watches the joust with interest, cheering Erastin on, and pays no attention to the companions.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

"Bah, jousting, what a silly event, no use in the real world." But he cheers just the same when his charge scores a hit with his charge.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

This time the scene plays out a lot like the first time. The two candidates charge each other, Erik misses and Erastin strikes him right in the chest. Erik goes limp, but remains on his horse. Again, the medics help him down, remove his helmet, determine he is alive, and move him off the battlefield.

"Not bad, Rivenguard," McKennen comments. "Looks like everyone's down save you and one other. Guess this is the final showdown then," he chuckles.

Sure enough, all of the others have been knocked down or knocked out. Only Erastin and one other candidate remains. The other candidate removes his helm, revealing him to be none other than Geffin uth Wistan himself. It seems fate has once again pitted Erastin against the nephew of the Grandmaster of the Knighthood.

===========

Round 3!

Erastin attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+3): 17, hit for (2d8+3): 11 damage (3 real, 8 temporary).
Erik attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+2): 11, miss.

Erik makes a Riding check (1d20): 10, pass.

Erik is knocked out but remains on his horse.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"We meet again." Erastlin offers his lance in salute to Geffin.

Lining up he readies his lance and prepares to charge.

1d20+3, 2d8+3=[9, 3], [2, 4, 3]
And misses.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The two opponents rush toward each other, but both are blocked by the other's shield. As they maneuvere their horses back into position, Erastin spots none other than the Grandmaster himself watching them from above, through a window in the tower.

A thought occurs to Erastin. If he defeats Geffin, would the Grandmaster be impressed? Or upset? It is his nephew, after all. Either way, it seems the pressure is on.

=============

Round 1!

Erastin attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+3): 12, miss.
Geffin attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+2): 12, miss.

Round 2!

Both opponents get back into position.

(Actions for Round 3?)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Karathos had been cheering Erastin with Targin and the others. As Erastin turns his mount for the second turn of joust with Geffin, he bellows:

"Go on, Erastin! Show them you're worthy!"
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

"Karathos, want a quick wager? I'll take Erastin and give you 10 to 1 odds."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Karathos shakes his big head. "Do you really think I would wager against the best friend I've ever had in my life?"
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Thinking to himself quietly as he prepares to attack, he was here to show his worth, would Geffin pull his attack if the roles were reversed??

Moving quickly he charges, lance down and prepares to attack.
1d20+2=22, 2d8+3=7
Critical, actually hit AC-3 (missed a +1), 4x2+7 damage (15 damage)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The tension in the air is so thick, it could be cut by one of Karathos' massive battleaxes. After what seems like eternity, the two horses begin their charge forward toward each other.

Time seems to almost slow down as the two approach each other as Erastin sets his lance and steadies himself to hold on. As the two pass, Geffin's lance misses. But Erastin's strikes Geffin straight on with an audible crack as the lad is knocked right off his horse and hits the ground hard. Fortunately, he's not in the way and doesn't get trampled by Erastin's horse.

Again, the medics rush to his aid and after determining he is still alive, drag him safely aside.

McKennen nods, seeming pleased. "Let's take a short break. Give them a chance to wake up. Then I want everyone here for an announcement."

==============

Round 3!

Erastin attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+3): 22, critical hit for (2d8x2+3): 11 damage (3 real, 8 temporary).
Geffin attacks with his heavy padded lance (1d20+2): 13, miss.

Geffin makes a Riding check (1d20): 18, fail. Geffin falls off his horse and takes another (1d2): 1 damage.

Geffin is knocked out and falls from his horse.

(OOC: Maybe it's because I only woke up a little while ago, but I can't figure out how you came to the total of 15 damage, I keep coming up with 11. You rolled 4, doubles to 8, and 8+3 = 11. Or am I missing something?)
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

(My maths error, nothing more, I added the 7 again, lol. Seriously Jen does the maths, not me!)

Erastlin slides off his mount, and moves over to Geffin, slightly surprised at what just happened. "That was a suprise, I take it he is well?" Erastlin asks the Medics as he moves over, glancing at the others.