Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (Game Thread IX)

A group of 'Unlikely Heroes.'
Based in the world of Krynn.

Moderator: JadedDM

Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom (Game Thread IX)

Post by Jenara »

"Ohhhh you can come and see the Temple of Paladine, I am sure its lovely!" Locky drags Babauskha along to the Temple, her face full of wonder.

"You wanted to learn of Paladine didn't you?" She says nattering on as she drags her to the Temple entrance.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

The cheerfulness of her friend winning over her unease in the city, Babushka runs along with Locky, her babushka skirt and shawl billowing behind her.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Ah, the temple district," Thuskar says. He follows after them.

The street has five different temples on it, two on one side and three on the other. The very first temple they come across is a circular building with a pair of large golden wings outside the front door. The structure looks more like a government building than a church, like a city council building. "This is our temple to Shinare, Goddess of Commerce, Industry and Oaths," Thuskar says. "As a bodyguard, I often pay her a little tribute now and again whenever I take a job. She's a very important deity in this city."

Meanwhile, Caron nods and puts a hand on Jerrard's shoulder. "Brace yourself then." Before Jerrard can even think to ask what his master means, Caron begins chanting in the spidery tongue of magic. The crystal in his staff begins to glow brighter and runes begin to magically appear around the two, etched in crimson light.

Suddenly, red light engulfs Jerrard and blinds all of his senses. He feels a strange sensation, as if he were being taken apart into little pieces, scattered throughout the world, then immediately reassembled. The light clears and Jerrard feels queasy and nauseous. Caron, as if worried he might get vomit on his shoes, quickly lets go and steps away. "Easy now," he says. "The first time is always the roughest. The sickness will pass in a few moments."

Jerrard can no longer hear the hustle and bustle of the city, can no longer smell the fish down at the dock or the baked goods in the marketplace. Everything is deathly quiet now. Looking around, he realizes he is no longer in the alley, but rather a room of some kind. The walls are made of stone and there are windows on either side, no glass, showing a verdant forest below. There is a pair of double doors, closed, and a bench under each window. Nobody else is in the room.

======================

OOC: This scene is probably a good primer for Breila about some of the gods of Krynn.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Jerrard stands silently for a moment, what was this place? A forest? It reminded him of the stories of Wayreth he had been told, so was this the fabled Tower of Wayreth?

"There is only one way to find out." He says to himself, choosing to wait and be called he sits on a bench, arms folded he pushes the sword hilt out of the way, wishing he was dressed correctly.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Walking into the square Locky surveys the temples, the one that draws her eye is the 'Temple of Light' somewhere she would feel at home.

"Interesting... We have temples to Reorx, Zeboim, and Takhisis." She says as she looks around, "Come." Taking Babuskha's hand she walks on with purpose, stepping inside the Temple of light, seeing the people gasp in shock or surprise as a Kender steps into the Temple. Pulling her Platinum Dragon symbol she approaches the Statue of her Lord.

"Paladine my Lord.." She bows reverently.

(OOC: Will add to this later, things to do...)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Thinking that the people's reaction at Locky's entrance into the temple relate to her, Babushka stays very close to her friend, her shawl drawn tightly around her. She tries to behave humbly, bowing as Locky does.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Caron smirks, as if guessing Jerrard's thoughts. "Welcome to Wayreth Tower," he says. This confirms then, that Jerrard has been teleported over three hundred miles away!

"Wait here," his master says. "I will let them know we have arrived." Turning, he opens the double doors and exits, pulling them shut behind him. Jerrard is left alone with his thoughts.

Meanwhile, across the New Sea in the city of Shrentak, Thuskar looks ready to continue his little tour when Locky grabs Babushka's hand and runs off to the Temple of Light at the end of the street. Thuskar quickly rushes after them before he loses them entirely.

The temple is smaller than the others and there are less clerics and fewer worshipers. The place isn't completely empty, but compared to some of the temples that Babushka saw on the rush over here, the place is practically deserted.

The building is circular and there are six small shrines inside, each one with a small stone statue representing a different god. The middle statue is indeed that of a dragon, indicating it is the shrine dedicated to Paladine.

To Paladine's right is a statue of a lovely human woman holding a staff. Further to the right is a statue of an old man, bald and a wrap around his eyes, indicating he is blind. He carries a simple rose in his hands. Even further right is a statue of a handsome young man holding a lyre.

To the left of Paladine are the remaining two statues. One is that of a man, a strong warrior judging by his bearing and armor and the mighty axe he wields, but his head is that of a bison. The second statue is that of a large bird of some kind, although not of any species that Babushka has ever seen before.

Once he has caught up to them and caught his breath, Thuskar goes back into tour guide mode. "This is the Temple of Light. It was just built last year, by the new Merchant Lord. The gods of light aren't very popular here, though."
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Jerrard nods and sits quietly, awaiting his fate, Wayreth? He knew his Master was powerful, but too have the power to bring him here??

"Damn" He curses silently, Why didn't he hold onto those Podman documents, now would be a perfect time to hand them over.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Which explains the looks I received." Locky explains, looking at each statue in turn.

"Paladine, The Platinum Dragon the Father of Good, the Master of Law." She bows looking at the Dragon.

Brushing her hand over the woman next to him she smiles. "Mishkal, The Healer, she came back to us first you know? She came to a Que Shu tribeswoman, to bring the gods back, which she did."

"Majere, Master of the mind, they say he brought the insects to the world, funny really all those little bugs." She gives a little giggle and turns to the Bull headed man and the Bard.

"Kiri Jolith, Paladine's son, he is revered by the Knights you know, a War God with a heart." She looks to the Bard, "Branchala, The Bard, his gift is song, many of my people follow him you know."

Finally she looks to the Bird, "And this is Habbuak, the God of Nature, of Rangers and the Forest, and of the Sea. I would think that he will be the first to appear here."

Shrugging Locky turns her head and smiles, suddenly becoming the silly Kender again.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

After a few moments, Caron returns. "This way," he says, gesturing. Jerrard follows him down a long stone corridor. They pass by several doors, many open. Peeking through as they walk pass, Jerrard spots several libraries, studies and even laboratories. Several mages wander pass, wearing the white, red or black robes of the Orders. Some nod to him as they pass, others ignore him entirely, as they are too engrossed with whatever they are doing at the time.

They come to a door near the end of the corridor, and Caron opens the door, ushering Jerrard inside. The room doesn't appear to be particularly special--just a small office of sorts. There are a number of book shelves, filled with books and scrolls. There's a desk covered with various papers and documents. There are also three men in the room, waiting.

The first man is on Jerrard's left, leaning against the wall, his arms crossed, and looking out the window, onto Wayreth Forest below. He is a big barrel-chested man with black skin and his head shaved bald. He wears the white robes of Solinari and has a cutlass strapped to his hip. He looks to Jerrard when he enters and winks, standing up straight.

The second man, to Jerrard's right, is sitting comfortably in a chair. He is elven, that much is clear from his almond shaped eyes and pointed ears. Likely he is a Silvanesti, if his bronze-colored skin is any indication. But this is made all the stranger by the fact that he wears the black robes of Nuitari. In one hand he holds a glass of brandy. The other hand holds up his chin. He has the look of a man who would rather be anywhere else in the world than here. When he sees Jerrard, his eyes flicker over the apprentice appraisingly. Then, apparently unimpressed with what he sees, he rolls his eyes and proceeds to ignore him.

The third man sits at the desk right in front of Jerrard. He appears to be the oldest (although likely the elf is older than him, although doesn't look it), perhaps around 70. Despite this, he's in decent shape, although nowhere near as muscular as Jerrard himself or the man in white. The old man, wearing the red robes of Lunitari, has brown hair and dark eyes and a light beard. He stands up at seeing Jerrard, using a staff for support. He hobbles over so that he stands in front of the desk, an obvious limp in his leg.

Caron closes the door behind Jerrard and stands at his side. "This is Jerrard Foss," he says to the three men gathered. "Jerrard, allow me to introduce to you Dunbar Mastersmate, Head of the Order of Solinari," he says, gesturing to the big man with the cutlass. "This is Dalamar Argent, Head of the Order of Nuitari," he adds, nodding to the elf. "And this, of course, is Justarius, Head of the Order of Lunitari and Highmage of Wayreth Tower."

As Jerrard tries to organize his thoughts at this stunning information, Justarius nods and says, "Welcome, Magus Foss," using the proper title for a fully initiated Wizard!

=======

Meanwhile, Thuskar nods at Locky's brief summary. "Kiri-Jolith is my favored deity, and Ulster's, too. Although that makes us a little strange in these parts, but we also pay tribute to Shinare and others, too."
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Jerrad stands silent for a moment, trying to take it all in, "My Lords, I do not mean to question, but I was taught to question, to inquire." He keeps his tone reverential "I do not understand."

He was in a room with the Heads of the Orders, with the Great Dalamar, Justarius and Dunbar, he knew less of the last, but all three were stuff of Legend, and he was asking questions?

"I hope you can forgive my Confusion."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Kiri-Jolith, I have many stories on him, although, now is not the time." She glances about, "Is there a Head Priest? I would like to talk to them, announce myself as it were." She grins, fully expecting a welcome reception.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Dunbar gives a hearty, boisterous laugh. "Ah, son. The look on your face. I don't blame you, I'd probably look the same way."

Justarius smiles, but remains subdued. "You have passed your Test, Jerrard Foss of Palanthus," he explains. "The caverns, the podmen, the Shroom...it was the perfect field test of your abilities. You were forced to utilize your magic, you were pushed to your very limits, and to fail would have meant your death."

Caron nods. "Not all Tests are done here in the Tower."

Dunbar grins and slaps Jerrard on the back. "Come now, you were never suspicious as to why we would send a mere apprentice to investigate a possible renegade?"

Justarius continues, "Nevertheless, you surpassed our expectations and have shown great potential. More than that, you have grown as a person, too. You have learned to work with others, how to make the best of teamwork...something we worried you were lacking."

Caron snorts. "You did have something of a staff up your ass, son," he says, smirking.

Coughing to hide his own smile, Justarius says, "From now on, you are welcomed in this Tower as one of our brothers. Your magic will be influenced by the moons, and you may receive access to the resources and benefits afforded all Wizards of High Sorcery. There is only one matter to resolve...and that is which order to join."

The old wizard gestures to Caron. "You were trained by Caron Bergnell of Lunitari, and none can deny you have a thirst for knowledge that would make you a good fit for the Red Order. However..."

Dunbar realizes this is his cue and he speaks up. "We watched you as you fought through the caverns with scrying spells. You seem to have a strong sense of justice and compassion. You wanted to destroy the Shroom's abominations to protect others from them. You went out of your way to rescue those people down there, although there was nothing in it for you. Those kinds of traits would be welcome in the White Order."

There is a few moments of silence, and everyone looks to Dalamar. Realizing he has their attention, the elf simply shakes his head. "I have no interest in him. The Black Order values ambition and strength. I see none of that in him."

Justarius shrugs. "So be it." He turns to Jerrard. "The choice is yours. Which Order do you wish to join?"

===========

Thuskar looks around. "I'll see if I can find her," he says. After a bit, he returns with a dwarven woman with braided red hair wearing pure white robes with a platinum dragon medallion around her neck. "This is Gillian Forgesmoke, Revered Daughter of Paladine," Thuskar says.

The dwarf nods to them both. "Welcome to the Temple of Light," she says.

===========

OOC: So, yes. I noticed throughout the adventure, Jerrard definitely displayed some Good tendencies. Had he destroyed the podman documents, that would have probably put him over the top. So I thought I'd give you the choice. You can remain LN and join the Order of Lunitari or become LG (no xp penalties) and join the Order of Solinari instead.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Babushka looks at the statues, listening. "How come the son of a dragon is a half-bison?" she murmurs, mostly to herself. When Locky points out Habbauk, she walks over to the statue. A little lost, she looks at it, holding out a hand for a moment as if to touch it, then withdraws it. "What do you mean, you thought he'd be the first to appear here?" she asks Locky.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"He is the God of the sea as well as forests.. All sailors give homage to Zebolin, more to stop something nasty, but Habbuak look over them." Locky answers. "Is that not right Reverend Daughter?" she asks the Dwarf as she arrives.

"I am Locky Lightfoot. Reverend Daughter of Paladine." she smiles offering her hand.

Borderlands 3 - Navi