Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 4: Lair of the Dragon

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 4: Lair of the Dragon

Post by Breila »

"No revenge?" Goldmoon is taken aback. "But what about our honor? And... she stops, because a thought is dawning on her. "You mean that if there is revenge, the new things are happening that need to be avenged, and it goes on and on and on? Of course... yes. I think I understand."
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Riverwind accepts the discs automatically before he know what he is doing. A dozen thoughts run through his mind but the first one that makes it to his lips is "Damn you Tanis, you better find him."

He turns to run to the others, holding the discs in his hands. His mind roams to thoughts of Mishakal and Goldmoon and the meaning and purpose of the discs. While he is a true believer, and he actually has the discs in his hand, he feels woefully inadequate to the task ahead without her. Oh Mishakal, why couldn't you have used me instead he thinks.

As he approaches the group, he slows and stuffs the discs into his belt at the small of his back, determined to finish the first task, getting the discs to safety.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Fine." Laurana responds, giving Tanis an evil look, "Don't even think about it Caramon!" she shouts at the big warrior. Turning she runs alongside Tas and Magpie, sword drawn ready to defend them if needed.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tanis looks ready to argue with Laurana, but is immediately taken back when she actually obeys him for once. Not wasting any more time, he dashes off at a jog to the east.

The others continue north, down the stairs, and into the massive courtyard where the three rivers meet. However, the water has risen considerably, now at least six inches deep. The party spots a number of draconians and gully dwarves fleeing in different directions. One baaz even bumps into Sturm as it runs, not even noticing the intruders, or particularly caring.

Magpie leads them east, toward another waterfall. "There, there!" she says, pointing. Past the mist of the water crashing to the ground are some vines growing right up the side of the cavern wall, plentiful enough to provide easy handholds for adventurous climbers.

------------------

Tearsong nods. "Everything so far has been a test, and you have shown your worthiness." She gestures, and the shards of the staff suddenly move, flying upward toward her hand. They transform into energy, meld together, and then change shape into a golden medallion. Etched upon the medallion's face is the same infinity symbol Goldmoon saw outside the temple's doors--the sigil of Mishakal, the Healing Hand.

"Take this medallion of faith," she says, handing it to Goldmoon. "It will allow you to pray to Mishakal directly, as Her first priestess in three hundred and fifty years. You will no longer need the staff to call upon Her power. As your faith grows, so will your own power."

===========

(OOC: The water level is now half a foot deep.)
Attachments
Key:<br />Red dot - Party's (sans Tanis) approximate location
Key:
Red dot - Party's (sans Tanis) approximate location
Xak Tsaroth Lower Level 10.jpg (81.57 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon takes the medallion (I suppose it comes with a chain or similar) and hangs it around her neck. "You mean i will be able to pray to Mishakal and then heal people? Just like that?" Her eyes are round in disbelief.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"May Paladine be with you my Friend." Sturm says to the departing Tanis, as he heads to the Vines. "Ok, grab a Vine, Tas, Magpie, I assume you will have no problem. Caramon watch your Brother." He turns looking at Laurana, she was obviously itching to argue. "I am here if you need aid." He stands near the vines, ensuring the others get up safely.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Laurana grabs a Vine, checking it for strength while watching Magpie. "We go up? I won't ask how far, I just won't look down." She smiles at the Gully Dwarf and climbs slowly.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Once they reach the vines, they quickly begin climbing. Laurana, Raistlin, Caramon, Sunstar, Sturm and Riverwind get a leg up on the shorter races, with Tas and Magpie following, and Flint tailing in the back. Looking up, Laurana sees it's a long climb, at least five hundred feet. The vines are slippery, too, which only serves to slow their descent in half.

After about five minutes of climbing, Tanis and a plainsman, most likely Raven-eye, appear on the scene and begin climbing, as well. By this point, the water is nearly a foot deep and continues to get deeper by the minute.

Two minutes after that, there is a loud noise up ahead. Some of the cliff is giving away! Large chunks of rock fall right toward the party. Everyone clings to dear life, attempting to press themselves against the vines as much as possible. Luck is with them, though. None of the larger chunks of the debris hit them (although they are pelted by tiny, inconsequential pebbles), and instead splash down below.

After another two minutes of climbing, Laurana reaches the top. The others join her momentarily, save for Flint who still has a way to go and Tanis and Raven-eye, who seem to be catching up with the old dwarf quickly.

From up here, the party can see nearly the entire city of Xak Tsaroth. All of it is flooding and falling apart. The great city is now facing its second death. However, they seem to be safe for the moment. The flood waters will take hours to reach them, and the falling debris seems much less severe up here.

Looking down the cliff, it appears Tanis and Raven-eye have passed up Flint. It takes another three minutes for them to reach the top, but another seven for Flint.

-------------

Tearsong nods, smiling warmly. "Yes, that is right. Furthermore, with the Disks, you may be able to convert additional clerics for the forces of light. If that happens, share your medallion of faith with them, and they, too, can become true clerics.

"But remember, daughter. Your journey is only just beginning. You have the disks, but you now must finish the task given to you by Mishakal, and find the True Leader of the People who can unite all of Ansalon against these dark powers."

========

Chance to be hit by debris - 15%

Tasslehoff (1d100): 78, not hit
Magpie (1d100): 26, not hit
Laurana (1d100): 80, not hit
Tanis (1d100): 90, not hit
Raistlin (1d100): 88, not hit
Caramon (1d100): 96, not hit
Sunstar (1d100): 95, not hit
Riverwind (1d100): 56
Sturm (1d100): 99, not hit
Flint (1d100): 82, not hit
Raven-eye (1d100): 96, not hit

It is now Afterwatch (9:01 PM).

Goldmoon is now a true Cleric of Mishakal.

(OOC: Breila, you can go ahead and give me your starting spells now, if you like. She gets 5 first level spells, 5 second level spells, and 1 third level spell.)
Attachments
Key:<br />Red dot - Party's approximate location
Key:
Red dot - Party's approximate location
Xak Tsaroth Lower Level 11.jpg (84.65 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Checking on Flint she frowns, "Are you ok?" She asks, helping him a little, "I suppose we should move on." She looks directly at Tanis, simply mouthing the words 'I'm glad your ok.'

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Tanis my friend, I am glad to see you are well. It appears the Gods are with us." He smiles patting Tanis's back hard, "And you must be Raven-Eye. I am Sturm Brightblade."
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

Riverwind walks up to Tanis and grasps his forearm in the plainsmen way, looking right into his eyes, and says, "Thank you my friend."

He then turns to Raveneye, speaking in their tongue, "I am Riverwind, glad to have you with us."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Flint nods silently, sitting on the ground and trying to catch his breath. He's not as young as he used to be, and he has been exerting himself more than normal lately. Now and again, he clutches at his heart, but waves off any concern. After a few minutes, he seems fine again. "We should head back up to the temple," he says. "It looked strong and sturdy--dwarven stonework, most likely."

Tanis nods to Laurana. "We were lucky. The draconian who carried the key to his manacles was killed by some falling debris. I found the key among its ashes." Shaking his head, he looks to Sturm. "The gods...the same gods who took Goldmoon from us. I have a few words for these gods when we return to the temple," he states evenly, trying to keep his anger in check.

The plainsman nodded. "I am Raven-eye of the..," he stops suddenly upon seeing Riverwind, and his eyes widen in surprise. "You! The heretic! The demons, they burned our village to the ground--looking for that unholy staff you brought there!" He looks about ready to jump the ranger, not even noticing Sunstar's presence yet.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Sunstar moves in front of Raven-eye before he can actually jump Riverwind. "Brother, I know how you feel," she says. "But now isn't the time."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Raven-eye stops abruptly, looking at Sunstar in surprise. "Sister, you live! Thank the ancestors," he says, giving her a hug.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Share my medallion? How is that supposed to work? I surely should not cut or break it! Will it duplicate itself when I find someone else who is blessed by Mishakal? Or do I have to ask a goldsmith to make more of them and give them?" Goldmoon asks. Everything feels so strange, she would need time to understand it all.

"The true leader of the people... I had almost forgotten about that. I will remind Riverwind and our friends, too. I will be allowed to return to them, won't I?" there is a distinct note of worry in her voice.

"Can you hold me tight for a moment? I am so weary and tired." For a moment, Goldmoon looks like the child Tearsong remembers so well, no longer the strong young woman she has become.