Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

FC0 - CH 4: Ambushes!

A solo adventure in which Echo Soulstaff searches for the man she believes is her father.

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Day Four

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi considers the option. Barlemus was pretty much the expert on goblins here, so what he said held quite a bit of weight. Plus, if they could thin out their numbers, that would be great too. "Okay, I think we can do that for a few nights. How many hunting parties do they send out a night?" she asks.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Depends on the size of the clan and how many mouths they gotta feed," Barlemus says. "If their clan is as big as that one gobbo said, they'll need to send probably four or five parties a night."

"And how big is a party?" asks Arvin.

Barlemus shrugs. "Maybe ten, fifteen at the most. Depends on how tough the prey is."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi looks over the three of them for a few moments. "Can we take on that many?" Tavi asks curiously. "Well, I know Barlemus probably could all by himself, but I'm new to this," she points out.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"We can take them out, sure. Especially if we use the right strategy," Barlemus explains. "Ambush them, catch them with their pants down. That sort of thing."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Then, I guess, that means we have an idea on how to thin out their numbers," Tavi says with a nod. "I'm going to count on you Barlemus for a lot of this as you seem to have the most experience dealing with goblins," she says.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Might as well start tonight," Barlemus says.

Arvin nods. "If we head out, toward their base, I'll likely pick up a trail to follow on the way. It should lead us to a hunting party."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Lead the way then, Arvin," Tavi says. She stands up, and brushes some dirt off of her clothing.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The trio set out, Arvin scouting far ahead of the other two, so Tavi's lantern does not interfere with his infravision.

After half an hour, Arvin rejoins them. "I found something," he says. "A trail, goblins. At least a dozen, from the look of the tracks. They head south." He gestures. "This way."

====================

Arvin makes a tracking check (1d20): 1, pass. He finds a trail.

It is now 9 PM.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi takes in a deep breath and lets it out as she follows after Arvin. She was hoping that she would be able to sneak up on these goblins, surprise them enough that they were caught off guard so they could take out a couple of them before they could regroup and attack.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Arvin continues to lead them until he calls for them to stop. "Snuff out the lantern," he whispers. Gesturing silently to follow, he slows down and skulks forward, keeping to the underbrush whenever possible.

Tavi hears the commotion before she can see anything. She hears an animal roar. It sounds like a bear. She also hears goblins shouting and chattering.

Up ahead, in the moonlight, she can somewhat make out what is happening. There's a small stream and a black bear is standing near it. Perhaps it was doing some fishing when it was ambushed. It is surrounded by some goblins that are poking and prodding at it with their spears.

"Ut. Looks like they found a big meal," Barlemus says softly.

"I can climb a tree and shoot at them from there," Arvin suggests. "He," he adds, pointing at Barlemus, "can run in and start mopping them up once their guard is down." Looking at Tavi, he adds, "You can join me in shooting at them, or join him in melee. Up to you. Sound good?"

==========================

First, some basic combat notes.

Barlemus, Tavi, and Arvin all have movement rates of 12, so they can move 120 feet in one round. Each square is 5 x 5 feet, so any one of them can move 24 squares in one round. You can move up to 60 feet (12 squares) in one round and still make an attack.

It is night. That means both Barlemus and Tavi can only see by the moonlight, meaning they both suffer a -1 to hit and saving throws. If Tavi turns on her lantern, or Barl lights a torch, they can eliminate those penalties. However, this will give away your position and you can't use a shield while holding a torch or lantern.

The light undergrowth can offer some concealment, but is difficult to move through. Moving through it counts the same movement as moving through two normal squares. Trees can offer cover and concealment. Climbing one grants you a +1 to hit for missile weapons for having higher ground. The boulders can also offer concealment and cover, and can be climbed for a +1 to both melee and projectile weapons (assuming the melee weapon is M sized or bigger) for higher ground. Finally, there's the water. It's five feet deep. It provides concealment, but crossing it costs four times as much movement.
Attachments
Note the following:<br />Blue dot - Barlemus<br />Green dot - Arvin<br />Purple dot - Tavi<br />Red dots - Goblins<br />Black dot - Bear
Note the following:
Blue dot - Barlemus
Green dot - Arvin
Purple dot - Tavi
Red dots - Goblins
Black dot - Bear
Riverbank 01.JPG (212.63 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I'll join Arvin for the time being," Tavi says with a nod. "If I see that Barlemus is in trouble, then I'll jump down from the tree and join him," she explained.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Arvin nods. "Hope you're a good shot with that thing," he says, gesturing to her crossbow. He climbs a nearby tree and settles in the branches, readying his bow. Tavi does likewise, choosing the tree next to the elf's. Barlemus, meanwhile, crawls forward in the brush, readying his sword and shield.

Looking down at the battle scene from her vantage point, Tavi's vision is a bit hindered in the dark. Thankfully, the moonlight allows her to see well enough. As she loads and readies her crossbow, she can see the bear grab one of the goblins and hug it, then drop it to the ground, bloody and unconscious. It swipes at a second goblin, but misses, causing them to start taunting the bear louder.

From Arvin's tree flies a silent arrow that buries itself in a goblin's back. It tumbles forward, ignored by its companions save for the three that are closest to the trees. Her crossbow ready, Tavi realizes now it's her turn to choose a target and fire.

==========================

Tavi earns a +1 reaction to Arvin.

Surprise rolls (I'm not going to clutter up Invisible castle, I'll just roll them manually. Arvin imposes a -4 penalty to all of their rolls.)

Three goblins are not surprised, nine are surprised.

(Party members gain a +1 bonus to hit against surprised opponents.)

Surprise Round!

Initiative
Barlemus - (Waiting)
Bear - 6+3 = 9
Arvin - 5+8 = 13
Octavia - 6+7 = 13
Goblins - 7+6 = 14

Barlemus waits in the underbrush.
The black bear bats a paw at Goblin 01 (18, hit) for (3 damage, plus 2 hugging damage). Goblin 01 falls. The black bear bats a paw at Goblin 02 (5, miss).
Arvin fires his bow at Goblin 05 (24, critical hit!) for (8 damage).

(Octavia's turn.)

Remember, you get a +1 to hit due to higher ground, but a -1 to hit from darkness (the latter is negated if you use your lantern). You also get a +1 to hit if you target any of the surprised goblins, but you don't know which ones are surprised, so I'll add that myself, if you do target one.
Attachments
Note the following:<br />Blue dot - Barlemus<br />Green dot - Arvin<br />Purple dot - Tavi<br />Red dots - Goblins<br />Black dot - Bear<br />Grey dots - Unconscious goblins
Note the following:
Blue dot - Barlemus
Green dot - Arvin
Purple dot - Tavi
Red dots - Goblins
Black dot - Bear
Grey dots - Unconscious goblins
Riverbank 02.JPG (216.36 KiB) Viewed 6830 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi loads up her crossbow with one of her many bolts and takes aim to one of the nearest goblins to the tree that she is in. ~That bear seems to be winning the fight,~ she thought to herself as she fired.

Roll to Hit (15, hit)
Damage(6)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tavi's bolt caught the goblin right in the small of the back. He stumbled forward, but didn't fall. Rather, he reached for the bolt, but couldn't quite grab it. Shouting in his native tongue, he got the attention of three others nearby. He pointed at the tree the bolt had come from.

The goblin and its three companions pulled out some small rocks and started throwing them at Tavi. Most missed, thanks to the concealment of the tree's branches and leaves. But one smacked her in the right shoulder, leaving a nasty bruise.

While this was happening, Arvin fired another arrow, this one taking out another goblin that was fighting the bear. The bear itself roared in anguish, not doing too well against the goblins.

=======================

Tavi fires her crossbow (15, hit) at Goblin Leader for 6 damage.
Goblin 02 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 2, miss.
Goblin 03 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 6, miss.
Goblin 04 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 2, miss.
Goblin 06 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 13, hit for (1d6): 4 damage.
Goblin 07 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 10, miss.
Goblin 08 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 6, miss.
Goblin 09 does nothing.
Goblin 10 does nothing.
Goblin 11 does nothing.
Goblin Leader does nothing.
Arvin fires his bow at Goblin 04 (1d20+4): 14, hit for (1d8): 1 damage. Goblin 04 falls.

The goblins are no longer surprised.

Round 1!

Party's Initiative (1d10): 5
Enemy's Initiative (1d10): 2

(Enemy wins!)

Goblin 02 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 2, miss.
Goblin 03 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 19, hit for (1d6): 3 damage.
Goblin 06 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 17, hit for (1d6): 6 damage.
Goblin 07 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 4, miss.
Goblin 08 attacks the bear with his spear (1d20): 7, miss.
Goblin 09 throws a rock at Tavi (1d20-2): 15, hit for (1d4): 4 damage.
Goblin 10 throws a rock at Tavi (1d20-2): 2, miss.
Goblin 11 throws a rock at Tavi (1d20-2): 6, miss.
Goblin Leader throws a rock at Tavi (1d20-2): 7, miss.

(Party's turn!)
Attachments
Note the following:<br />Blue dot - Barlemus<br />Green dot - Arvin<br />Purple dot - Tavi<br />Red dots - Goblins<br />Black dot - Bear<br />Grey dots - Unconscious goblins
Note the following:
Blue dot - Barlemus
Green dot - Arvin
Purple dot - Tavi
Red dots - Goblins
Black dot - Bear
Grey dots - Unconscious goblins
Riverbank 03.JPG (215.91 KiB) Viewed 6826 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi winces as the rock hits her shoulder, but she tries not to let it bother her. Loading up another bolt, she shoots at the goblin leader again.

Roll to Hit (17, hit)
Damage(1)