Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

FC0 - CH 3: Trollbane

A solo adventure in which Echo Soulstaff searches for the man she believes is her father.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Day Three

Post by JadedDM »

"There is an evil troll that threatens my tree," she says meekly. "A brave friend of mine has gone to slay it. I worry for his safety, for he travels alone and it has been two days since he departed. Please, help him. I overheard your intent to slay the Shadowbite goblin clan. I am certain he would aid you, if he still lives."

Barlemus looks between Tavi and the dryad, confused. He is obviously not following this conversation at all. He sets down his armor and quickly puts his shirt back on when he remembers he's topless.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Excuse me a moment, and let me explain this to my friend," Tavi says before turning to Barlemus. "So this lady here says that a troll has been attacking her tree," she explains. "A friend of hers went after this troll all alone, and she is worried for his safety since it has been two days. She wants us to help him, and she says that if we were to help that he would probably help us with the Shadowbite Clan."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Barlemus blinks at her blankly. "You understand that?" He scratches the back of his neck. "Ut. Well, guess I can't turn down a lady in need. I'm a goblin slayer, though, not a troll slayer. Don't know much about them." He looks to Tavi. "Your call, I guess. From what I've heard, trolls are really dangerous. But three people is one better than two, as my pop used to say."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi nods in agreement with Barlemus before turning back to the woman. "Admittedly, neither one of us know a whole lot about trolls, but Barlemus can't turn down a lady in need apparently," she says with a light giggle." So I think we will help you. Can you tell us anything about what we might be facing, and in what direction did your friend go?" she asks.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The dryad seems to relax a little at this. Although still guarded, she no longer has the look of a doe about to dart at a moment's notice. "Thank you," she says with a little demure bow. "The troll's cave is about a mile to the east. My friend believed it was solitary. Trolls are a very dangerous race. They can heal their wounds and even regrow body parts as easily as you or I breathe. They are susceptible to fire and acid, however. My friend knew this and brought flammable oil with him."

While she explains this, Barlemus puts his armor back on and checks his gear.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"She says that they are weak against fire and acid, and that her friend is prepared with flammable oil," Tavi explains to Barlemus. "And the troll's cave is about a mile to the east." Turning back to the woman, she bows her head. "We'll do what we can."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Return here with him, dead or alive, and I will see you are rewarded," the dryad promises. Then she slips inside a tree, vanishing through it like it were nothing more than a shadow.

"Ut," Barlemus says. "Where did you learn to talk forest-speak?" he asks, putting his cap back on.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, I don't really consider it forest speak," Tavi says as she gathers her things. "It is elvish, and my dad taught me," she explains. "He found that speaking elvish to the animals seemed to soothe them more, so he taught me how to speak it so I could do the same."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Elvish? Ut!" Barlemus steps back from her warily, as if she just announced she was a leper. "Your pop is elvish?" He turns away and mumbles. "Elves, why does it always have to be elves?"

He walks off, heading east toward the troll cave, muttering to himself the whole way, and not looking to see if Tavi follows.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Hey!" Tavi says, running after Barlemus. "No, no, my dad wasn't an elf. I'm not even part elf. He just had a friend back when he was a solider that was a elf, and so that friend taught him the language." She looks confused at his reaction. "What do you have against elves?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The warrior pauses and turns to face her. "Oh...uh, sorry then." He shrugs. "Just...you ever know any elves? Like, in person? Uppity little knife-ears, they are. Think they're all better than us. Arrogant, rude, conden...condes...always talking down to everyone."

He snorts and resumes walking, this time allowing Tavi time to keep up. "Never did meet an elf I liked."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Well, I haven't actually met one myself," she admits as she walks along beside him. "But I've heard stories. Usually, they aren't bad stories, but about how beautiful they are, or how graceful they are," she explains with a shrug. "No one ever mentions how they treat humans."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Beautiful? Graceful? Meh, that's just what they want you to think," Barlemus says. "Believe me, if you ever met one, you'd think differently."

The two continued on for about half an hour before the cave came into view. The mouth of the cave was at least twelve feet high, perhaps bigger. Not far from the entrance are some chewed up bones and a couple of skulls.
Attachments
Cave.JPG
Cave.JPG (254.06 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Oh, this isn't at all menacing," Tavi mutters. Of course, it was the chewed up bones and a couple of skulls that had her saying that. "So I guess we just go inside?" she asks, glancing to Barlemus. "We don't really have any other information than what that...forest lady told us."
Last edited by HorizonsDream on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Better to lure it out, I think," Barlemus says. "Get it out in the open, in the sunlight, where we can see better. I'll get its attention," he says, drawing his sword and shield. "You be ready when it comes out."