Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

FC0 - CH 2: Night Stalker

A solo adventure in which Echo Soulstaff searches for the man she believes is her father.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Day Two

Post by JadedDM »

"That's not a sure thing," the shaman explains. "There are three of you, after all, and we only need one sacrifice. It doesn't have to be you. And even if it is," he continues genially, "that's nothing to sneeze at. It's a great honor. You'll be meeting with a god in person. Few people can claim such a feat. More than that, this sacrifice is necessary for bringing justice and prosperity to an entire people. Surely the loss of a single life is worth this, wouldn't you agree?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Not when those lives happen to belong to my sisters," Tavi points out. "And going about raiding people's homes and killing their family isn't exactly the best way to get us to agree to such a thing." Not that she would ever agree to it in the first place, but she decided to leave that part out. "How exactly is this going to bring justice and prosperity to your people?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The Shaman chuckles. "Our god, Maglubiyet, gave me a vision. Humans have long oppressed us goblins. Humans get the best land, the best food, and all of the wealth. We, however, are left to squat in caves, living off your refuse and being trapped and hunted by the likes of the Night Stalker." He frowns for a moment, but quickly perks back up. "But Maglubiyet watches over us still. He has encouraged us to fight back. To come together and organize, instead of squabbling among each other. Now, we do not make small raids on farms for a chicken or two. We are practically an army!" His eyes light up, passion in his voice. "But this was only the beginning. Maglubiyet has promised us a weapon of great power to use against the human cities, to take back what should belong to us. It is a ritual that requires massive amount of life energy. Only the blood of the purest of maidens will suffice. Alas, the ritual requires all of the victim's blood to work. We knew of three young women in your home, so we sought to capture you all. And by Maglubiyet's will, we succeeded!" He clenches his fist and raises it to the heavens, as if in tribute to his god's triumph.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Just because three young women lived there does not mean that they are pure, so how exactly do you plan to figure that out?" Tavi asks curiously. "You might want to hold off on your celebrating. You haven't sacrificed anyone just yet. "
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The Shaman smiles up at her. "I'll find out quite easily. You will tell me which of you is pure. If you do not, I'll simply sacrifice all three of you to be safe. But that's such a waste of life, wouldn't you agree?" He appears quite smug, as if certain he has Tavi right where he wants her.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"...I don't know, though. I mean, not for sure," Tavi points out. She was reasonably certain that both of her sisters were pure, but for all she knew Hallie might have some sort of rebellious streak that she never showed anyone. "They might be my sisters, but they don't tell me everything."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The shaman shakes his head. "Ah, pity. It appears I'll just have to sacrifice all of you to be safe. The Chieftain will be disappointed, but he understands the necessity." He turns away from her. "Let us go," he says to the others. "We have a very messy ritual to prepare for."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Now, wait a minute," Tavi says, trying to stop the shaman. "I can say without a doubt that I am," she finally says with a sigh. "If there is going to be a sacrifice, then it should be me." She wasn't going to kill of her sisters. Admittedly, this wasn't exactly the best type of life for them, but they would at least be alive.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The shaman pauses, turns and grins again. He holds up his holy symbol and mutters a prayer in goblin. "Once more, say it again." When she does so, his grin widens and he nods, apparently satisfied. "Very well. You shall be the sacrifice, and your sisters will be allowed to live. The ritual will be at midnight. I suggest you rest up until then."

The goblins file out of the cell, then the guard closes the gate and locks it. Blowing out the candle, the group walks off, leaving Tavi in total darkness once again.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi lets out a deep sigh. This was turning bad to worse within just a couple of hours. She still didn't have a plan on what to do. She could only wait until she was taken for the ritual in hopes of escaping then. Of course, that left her with the task of saving her sisters as well. "Maybe I can use this...Night Stalker as to my advantage," she says thoughtfully. "Whoever that is."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Many hours pass. There is little to do in the cell but talk to her sisters, but there isn't much to say to either of them other than simple, reassuring platitudes like 'everything will be all right.'

Finally, someone approaches again. It is another group of goblins, although the shaman is not among them. Aside from the normal guard with the key, there are three soldiers and one goblin wearing scale mail and carrying a battle axe. One of the soldiers lights another candle. The guard unlocks and opens the gate, and the axe-carrying one steps in and sets some clothing on the ground. "Put on," he says simply, pointing down at the clothes.

The clothes in question are hardly that. They consist of a clean (well, clean by goblin standards) white gown that only extends an inch or so beyond her thighs and is so low-cut that the cleavage practically reaches her naval. There are no shoes, but it does come with a number of bracelets and anklets, as well as a tiara. It all looks like cheap, junk jewelry to Tavi's eyes.

The goblins wait expectantly, hands on their weapons, apparently not about to give her any privacy in changing.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi looks over the clothing in disgust. "They seriously want me to wear this?" she asks as she holds up the clothing to her body. She looks to the goblins. "You know, this makes me less...pure in the eyes of your God if you just watch me change into this."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The goblins look amongst each other, confused. The one in scale mail looks at the guard over his shoulder. The guard merely shrugs. Turning back to her, the one in scale mail shakes his axe at her. "You...put on." He points to her, then to the clothes.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Oh," Tavi says in annoyance. Turning around, so that her back is at least towards the goblins, and changes as fast as she can. "This is just awful. Why would anyone wear something like this?!"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

When Tavi finishes and turns back to face the goblins, she realizes a number of them have crept closer for a better look. One actually reaches out, a bit of drool on his chin, but the one in scale mail smacks him and chastises him in the goblin language.

Tavi feels rather ridiculous in her new outfit. Not to mention a significant draft. Her bracelets and anklets jingle loudly as she moves, as well.

The one in scale mail points to her. "You...come." He gestures to the others, who form a sort of honor guard around her. A couple of the soldiers argue over who gets the honor of being in the back, but the one in scale mail, likely a captain of some sort, settles the dispute. The goblins then lead her out of the cell. The captain blows out and disposes of the candle, leaving her again in total darkness. She feels the captain take her by the hand and lead her, and she can sense the others around her--she hears their breath and in some cases, feel their body warmth. More than once do one of the goblins 'accidentally' brush up against her as they walk.

Because she cannot see anything, she is unable to see any of the layout of this cavern and therefore has little idea where they are taking her.