Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

FC0 - CH 1: Goblin Raid

A solo adventure in which Echo Soulstaff searches for the man she believes is her father.

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Day One

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I promise," Tavi says sweetly with a smile.

Naturally, Tavi had every intention of keeping that promise, but she knew that her mind tended to wander when she wasn't in a whole lot of trouble. ~Well, I'll just deal with that when it happens,~ she thinks to herself.

"Let's get some lunch. I'm starving!" Tavi says, always getting a little excited before eating any type of meal.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Lindsay gives her a kiss on the forehead. "Wait here a couple of minutes while I go talk to your mother."

After waiting awhile, Tavi heads inside and enters the kitchen. The table is all set, and everyone is sitting down, except for Tavi's mother, Aubrey. She frowns at her middle daughter, but says nothing and goes back to setting her plate.

Aubrey, a woman in her 40s, like her mother had lived a harsh life that took its toll on her. There were some streaks of grey in her black hair, but she still managed to maintain some of her youthful beauty. Or at least Lindsay certainly thought so. Aubrey is a stout woman who never learned much about proper etiquette or manners, and thus was not terribly lady-like.

Lindsay, Lillian, and Sparrow are seated, as is Hallie, Tavi's older sister of 21 summers. Hallie is a taller girl with long black hair that falls down to her rump when not tied up. She's considerably more feminine than either Tavi or Sparrow.

Hallie glares daggers at Tavi, but says nothing either.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Clearing her throat, Tavi sits down next to her two sisters. At first, she really isn't exactly sure what to say, but she can't stand the silence for very long.

"Sorry I was late," she admits. "I was adding a few extra touches to the barn, which is now clean by the way," she adds with a smile, hoping that will at least make things a little better with her mom.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Hmph," Aubrey says, sitting down herself. She looks about ready to add something to that, but Lindsay quickly interjects.

"It looks delicious, Aubrey," he says. The meal in question consists of mutton stew with carrots and potatoes added, plus some fresh bread and cheese. Aubrey nods to the compliment. The family bows their heads and says a quick prayer to the Arbiter before eating.

"So, Tavi, did you sleep well?" Hallie asks oh-so-innocently, although she is unable to hide the mischievous gleam in her eyes. It's clear what she is trying to do by asking.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Like a baby," Tavi says after taking a few bites of her food. "But I distinctively remember asking you to wake me before I went to bed," she says slyly. She knew her sister would try to pull something like this, especially with how mad she was at her. "You said okay."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Well, I did try," Hallie says. "But you just refused to get up. You even took a swing at me with your pillow before I gave up."

Aubrey harrumphs again. Hallie grins when she realizes her plan is working. However, luckily for Tavi, Lindsay steps in.

"You know, I was thinking...it might be a good idea if tomorrow, I take the girls into town," he says.

All thoughts of Tavi's misbehavior are dropped at this announcement. "Really?" Sparrow asks, wide-eyed.

"Town? To Sturnheim? You mean I could buy a real dress instead of an old hand-me-down?" Hallie asks, setting her fork down.

Aubrey, on the other hand, drops her fork completely. "Have you gone daft, Lindsay? We cannot go into town. You know that."

"Dear, that was forty years ago...when you and I were just babes and these kids weren't even born yet. Surely the people of Sturnheim have forgotten all about us by now," Lindsay argues.

"They have not forgotten. They will never forget," Lillian adds, speaking for the first time since lunch began. "Nobody will speak the name Moore there, only spat it."

"Ah, but my daughters and I aren't Moores, we're Kensingtons," Lindsay points out.

"It will make no difference, believe me," Aubrey counters.

"It's not just our daughters, but financially--"

"Lindsay! Not...in front of...the children," Aubrey says sternly. Tavi gets the impression there is some underlying conversation here that has been held before. Lindsay frowns, but seems to give in and says nothing more on the subject.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"We aren't children anymore, ma," Tavi ventures, knowing that this was not going to earn her a lot of points. "We are stuck here all day with nothing to do but chores, and no one knows dad in Sturnheim," she says, hoping to making a good point. "If we are with him, they won't even think twice about us. Please?"

Tavi desperately wanted to see the world outside of the farm, but she also knew that her mother was still mad at her. "Even if I can't go as punishment for sleeping in, Hallie and Sparrow should get the chance."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Yes!" Sparrow exclaims.

"The two of us should, at least!" Hallie agrees.

Aubrey frowns and looks around the table. Finally, her eyes lock with Lillian's. But the old woman says nothing. She simply looks down at her bowl and stirs the stew around absently with a spoon. Seeing she would get no assistance there, Aubrey sighs. "I'll...think about it," she says.

It wasn't a 'yes' but it was the closest thing to a 'yes' any of the girls had ever heard before. The excitement was brimming among her sisters, who had to use all of their will to not start talking amongst each other about all of the wonderful things they've always wanted to do if they ever visited the village.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi glances at her two sisters with a grin. She was excited, even though it meant she probably wouldn't get the chance to go. That was a little depressing, but if they got to go once, then maybe they would get to go again! This was the start of...something, she just knew it.

Quickly, Tavi finished off her meal. She had a lot to do if this was actually going to happen. "So, um, daddy. What needed to be done with the horses?" she asks curiously.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I suspect Renegade is finally going to give birth today," Lindsay answers.

Despite being a ranch, they were quite poor and only had three horses. They were a stallion named Valora, a mare named Renegade, and another stallion named Blacky. When it was discovered that Renegade was pregnant, it caused a great deal of excitement because it meant at least one more horse to add to their stock.

"Let's go and see how she's doing," Lindsay suggests. The two step outside, while the other girls help their mother and grandmother clean up after lunch.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"You know, if we ever managed to get enough horses, we could sell them," Tavi says. "At least, I think that was granny Lil's and mom's dream when I got on this ranch. Though, those stupid goblins make it hard for everyone trying to make a living outside the village. One day, I would love to teach them a lesson," she states with a nod. One day, she was going to do a lot of things.

"Do you think the pony will be healthy? We've been spending a lot of time with Renegade, making sure she is comfortable during all of this. "
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Lindsay frowns and tousles Tavi's hair again. "Don't you worry any about money...or goblins, understand?"

The two reach the barn where Renegade has been staying since her pregnancy started. Lindsay opens her stall and immediately stands back. "Oh, damn. Looks like we're just in time," he says.

Investigating further, he discovers something. "This is bad," he says. "Looks like she's started, but the foal is stuck." He turns toward his daughter, his face etched with concern. "We're going to have to reach in and pull it out, or they could both die." He glances back to the mare, then back to Tavi. "So do you want to do the reaching? Or do you want to keep Renegade calm while I do it?" he asks with a bit of a mischievous grin.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi's face turns into one of disgust as her father suggests actually reaching inside the horse to pull the foal out. "You're insane if you think I'm reaching in there," she says to her father with a shake of her head. "I'll keep Renegade calm, don't worry," she says, moving to sit down next to the mare. Gently, she pets Renegade's nose. "It's going to be okay," she says softly.

Animal Handling Check 20, fail.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Putting on some gloves that go up to his elbows, Lindsay kneels and tries to reach into the mare to pull out the foal. Tavi attempts to keep her calm, but she cannot hide the agitation in her voice. The mare spooks a bit, forcing Lindsay to quickly pull out.

"Careful now," he says. "Keep her calm. I can't do this if she isn't calm."

He goes in to try a second time.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi takes a deep breath to calm herself down before she tries again with the mare. "Hey, Renegade," she says. "You know who I am. You know I wouldn't lie to you. Just calm down and let daddy help," she says softly

Animal Handling Check 12, fail.