Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 2: Lost City of the Ancients

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 2: Lost City of the Ancients

Post by Jenara »

Laurana pauses realising what she has done, she just killed an intelligent (using that word loosely here) creature. She grabs the keys a moment later, fumbling to put them to the lock, dropping them once she finally manages to open the cage.

(assume she must have heard something, possibly the dragon....)

"You will have to listen to me Tanthalas, The others have gone on with Goldmoon, I suggest you join them, I will find out exactly what Tas is doing with that Dragon." She helps them out of the cage, before turning away. "Go." She adds simply.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Sturm soberly nods, looking at Caramon, "Perhaps we should take him somewhere safe?" He looks around for somewhere that might look like a suitable sanctuary.

(Like a temple maybe, lol)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Wait, lass," Flint objects. "They took all of our gear. Stuffed them in one of those huts. We can't go without our weapons."

"The prisoners!" one of the Baaz shouts, noticing the open cage and the elf woman standing next to a statue of the dead guard. "They're escaping! Stop them!"

Within seconds, there are six Baaz and a Bozak in black robes surrounding them, their weapons drawn. Before anyone can make a move, though, a high-pitched, shrill voice screeches through the camp. "Bring the elf wench before me!" says the dragon.

The draconians lower their weapons and turn to face the dragon, staring in astonishment and muttering among themselves. They glance to each other uneasily, while those standing nearest the dragon back off hurriedly.

One of the creatures, whom Laurana supposes by the insignia on its armor to be some kind of captain, stalks up to the the black robed bozak who was staring, open-mouthed, at the dragon.

"What's going on?" the captain demands in Common. "Where is that Bozak priest of yours? He must tell us what to do!"

"The higher of my order is not here." The robed draconian quickly regains his composure. "One of them flew here and took him to confer with Lord Verminaard about the staff."

"But the dragon never speaks when the priest is not here." The captain lowers his voice. "My boys don't like it. You'd better do something quickly!"

"What is the delay?" The dragon's voice shrieks like a wailing wind. "Bring me the elf!"

"Do as the dragon says." The robed draconian motions quickly with a clawed hand. The draconians poke and prod with their swords, attempting to maneuver Laurana toward the dragon.

Meanwhile, Sturm looks around the plaza but there is only one building, just to the north of the well, that is still intact and whole. The stone building is windowless and has double doors of tarnished gold. Above the doors is a symbol, it resembles the number 8 but is horizontal instead of vertical.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Glancing about for Tas as she is pushed towards the Dragon Laurana holds her head up high, her hand on her sword. "I will never surrender to you!" The Elf cries, scared out of her wits, fighting the tears in her eyes she maintains her posture, Dragon or no dragon she was not going to show her fear.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"We take him there." Sturm responds eventually, "Caramon, take his feet, carefully." Sturm takes his arms and together the carry the Plainsman into the building, Sturms eyes going to the symbol, "I wonder what that means?" He notes.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"We mete out justice swiftly and surely, elven scum," the dragon hisses. As it speaks, it beats its huge wings, fanning them slowly. The draconians gasp and begin to back up, some stumbling over themselves as they hurry to get out of the monster's way. Obviously they know what is coming.

At Laurana's defiant proclamation, the dragon laughs shrilly. The draconians join in, gurgling and croaking horribly. As the dragon's wings beat the air, it begins to rock back and forth, seemingly preparing to leap on the princess and devour her.

"This will be fun. Let's see what you're made of!" the dragon commands. Its flapping wings cause a wind to whip through the camp, scattering sparks from the fire.

"And now, prepare to die, elf!" the dragon screams. Its wings give a great lurch and suddenly the creature is flying, hovering in midair. The draconians croak and cry out in alarm, some breaking for the woods, others hurling themselves flat on the ground.

During the panic, Flint and Tanis escape from their captors and make a beeline to the hut holding their gear. The draconians, too surprised at what is happening, do not even stop them.

Just then, the great black dragon crashes headlong into the blazing bonfire. Flaming logs fly into the air, showering sparks over the camp. The draconians' bamboo huts begin to burn fiercely. The dragon gives a final, horrifying shriek, and then it, too, catches fire.

As the draconians flee in panic, Laurana notices that the dragon's head falls to the ground. Two small legs encased in bright blue pants are sticking out of the dragon's mouth, kicking feebly.

Meanwhile, Caramon and Sturm work together to gingerly lift the plainsman off the ground. Caramon nods to Goldmoon, indicating she should push the doors open for them so they can enter the ancient building with the unusual emblem.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon nods and pushes open the doors.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Lauranas whole body shakes in fear, as she struggles to keep hold of her sword, she wouldn't let this creature know she was frightened, yet she couldn't help it.

Screaming as the Dragon Lunges towards her, her heart sinking into her chest.. Almost fainting she recovers herself seeing the feet, the question of Tas answered.

Running for the Head she cries: "Are you ok Tas? You silly thing, you did it, they are free.."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Prying himself out of the dragon's head, Tas grins up at her, his face filthy. "Did you see? I was a dragon! I was really convincing, too. Maybe I should have been born a dragon instead of a kender, don't you think?"

"Tas!" Tanis calls, hurrying over with Flint behind him. "All right? Good. We need to get out of here before the draconians can recover. Where are the others?" he asks Laurana.

Meanwhile, the others enter the temple, finding themselves in a small room (20 x 30) with nothing in it, save for another set of double doors on the other side. Blue oval archways rise thirty feet to form the ceiling. There is a strange feeling of peace here. The dragon's attack seems like nothing more than a bad dream now.

(OOC: What? Stalling? I don't know what you're talking about.)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon lets out a deep sigh as she enters the hallway and keeps the door open for Caramon and Sturm to carry Riverwind inside. "Blue" she whispers in her native tongue.

As the men carefully lay Riverwind down, she walks over to one column of the archway and holds the staff against it, touching the column with both palms. "Goddess, help me to save my beloved" she prays, then turns to tend to Riverwind.

She will first give him the strongest painkiller she has, then see to his wounds as best she can. She'll spread out her bedroll and ask Caramon and Sturm to move him there when she's done, then sit beside him to watch over him.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Yes Tas I saw you, you were very realistic." Laurana giggles despite the situation.

"You don't need to thank me." she responds to Tanis dryly, "They went to the city, well what is left of it anyway." She takes Tas's hand and walks away, giving Tanis the cold shoulder. "Follow me.."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"What were they thinking?" Tanis wonders aloud as they put some distance between themselves and the camp. "Sending you all by yourself to rescue us."

"She wasn't by herself, Tanis. I was here, too," Tas points out.

Flint snorts. "That's even worse!"

Tanis shakes his head. "I just can't believe Caramon and Sturm would just abandon us like that."

"That's gratitude for you," Flint says. "We risk our lives for Goldmoon and that staff of hers, and she not only leaves us to rot, she takes our friends with us! Harrumph!"

Tanis bends down low, noticing some tracks. "They came through this way. These should lead us to them. Best we find them before they get into some kind of trouble."

"Gosh, Tanis, I can't imagine they've seen anything as exciting as we have!" Tas says. "Did I tell you about the wraiths that chased us to the tower? There must have been sixty of them!" The kender rambles on.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"There were a lot, very scary, human people who died here I suppose." Laurana smiles, "Tas was more than helpful, I would be dead if he didn't come with me."

She follows Tanis, her hand on her sword, thinking for some time about the group leaving. "I asked them to go. Myself and Tas would be able to sneak in easily." Holdimg her head high she hopes no one can see how scared she is, Especially not Tanis.

(OOC: Can't sleep, so will post what I can..)

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Sturm helps lower Riverwinds Body down, and then moves to stand guard over the entrance, the building filled him with peace, yet he couldn't help think of Tanis and the others.

"What is this place?" He asks with a concerned glance at the Brothers.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tas, Laurana, Tanis and Flint make their way forward, finding the fallen obelisk and crossing it. Soon they find themselves in the plaza. Not far from the well, the stone is blistered and cracked, as if someone had poured acid all over it.

There is only a single building still standing, and its tarnished gold doors stand ajar.