Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 2: Lost City of the Ancients

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 2: Lost City of the Ancients

Post by JadedDM »

While the others argue over what to do with Tanis and Flint, Laurana flees for her life from the dark wraiths.

Tas, realizing she was fleeing, runs after her. "Hey, wait up! Don't explore the tower without me!" he calls.

The wraiths chase after her, whispering in the darkness for her life energy. Laurana does not even risk a look behind her as she runs. Running in the swamp is very dangerous, for the water depth changes wildly and she could easily fall into a pit at any second.

She makes it to the tower before tripping in a small pit and falling face first into the muck. Tas catches up to her and helps her up, but the wraith are upon them in seconds. However, as soon as they touch the sunlight around the tower, they scatter and back away. Evidently, they don't care for it, for they refuse to come any closer, despite how close their prey is.

The tower itself is sad to see in the wake of the Cataclysm: a capital city brought to silence and decay. The doorway, long since rotted away, is completely open at the ground level.
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Raistlin leans on his staff and sighs as he listens to the others talk about their plans.

"Do not bring any attention to us." he says firmly to the others. After his long lapse of silence, he seems to be paying attention again. (( Yeah, really sorry... again ))

He looks at the dragon, his eyes narrowed as he studies it. "Dragons are usually very perceptive... why hasn't it noticed us?" he muses under his breath.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"I believe it is not alive, or subdued somehow. See? It doesn't move at all" Goldmoon says. "So what are we doing now? I suggest we keep to the shadows and try to move on."

She grabs the staff and starts to move slowly around the draconian encampment.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Laurana gasps pulling herself from the swamp. Her clothes were ruined, her hair was a muddy mess.. If her friends could see her now.

"Tas, the spirits don't like this place.. Perhaps we should go in?" maybe Tanis was in there.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

(ooc: I am a little stuck with Sturm, Frankly I would think he would threaten to take the dragon on one on one to save his friends, but, that isnt going to work, I think he will offer to help and free the others later.)

"Do I have a choice? The gods brought us here, thus it seems to be our destiny, while I do not like it, you require aid my lady." He bows to Goldmoon. "I will answer the call."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Stepping inside the tower, Laurana and Tas find that the wooden floors and rafters have long since rotted away. However, a carved staircase circles up the interior of the tower to a stone floor at its top. The interior of the tower is cool and dank. Engraved on the wall just by the entrance are the words "Tower of Truth."

Meanwhile, Goldmoon, Riverwind and Sturm begin to sneak away from the draconian camp in hopes of bypassing it altogether. Whether the Majere brothers go with them or remain behind to try and rescue their friends, is up to them.
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Raistlin looks at his brother. "Alone we stand no chance." he says and follows after the trio of devout. "The city awaits us."

He doesn't wait for Caramon, but he obviously expects his brother to follow him.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Glancing at the insides of the Tower Laurana lets out a little gasp, she should stop, they couldn't be here? Yet... she was too afraid to face the creatures outside, she still felt the chill on her neck.. No she would go up, and check this tower out.

"Tas, are you coming? I'm a little scared to go out there, and face those things again." Shuddering she heads up the stairs, sticking to the wall, her sword in her hand.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Well, all right," Tas says. "But I doubt whatever is up there is somehow more interesting than those dark fellows outside."

The two reach the top of the tower, coming up on the roof. They have an amazing view of the entire area from there. To the southeast is a small set of ruins. Laurana's sharp eyes can see movement down there, including that of draconians. There's also a large black dragon, holding perfectly still save for a slight swaying in the wind. She also sees two figures locked up in a bamboo cage. They are too far away to make out significant features--one is short and one is tall. And she could swear that she sees red on the head of the taller one.

"Ooh, look at that," Tas says, pointing northward. There are a set of much larger ruins there, including a massive well and a sturdy stone building that is still very much intact.

Meanwhile, Goldmoon, Riverwind, Raistlin and Sturm (and possibly Caramon, that's up to him) manage to sneak around the camp without being seen. Continuing onward, leaving their companions to rot, they come across yet another fork in the way. There's a vine bridge leading east. To the north is a large stone obelisk that has fallen, forming a bridge.
Attachments
Red dot - Goldmoon's group<br />Blue dot - Laurana's group
Red dot - Goldmoon's group
Blue dot - Laurana's group
Xak Tsaroth swamp 07.png (586.42 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

(ooc: Laurana won't leave them to rot she set out to save them, and save them she will, forgive the borrowing from the books, but somethings are just too good not to happen).

"By Paladine, thats a Dragon!" Laurana cries, ducking down, slowly as she realises it is not about to rein fire on her she stops shaking and looks at it closer (int check 9, pass) "It doesn't appear to be moving, and Ohh that has to be them, come, lets see if we can distract those evil things."

(ooc: does she see the other group, so cruelly leaving Tanis and Flint behind?)

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

(OOC: Well, by my calculations, taking into account the height of the tower, the distance from the tower to Goldmoon's party, the weather, and Laurana's elven vision...my math says that she can see a group of non-draconians heading away from the camp. It may be tricky to identify them as Goldmoon and the others specifically, but it's a safe bet. I mean, how many other people are in this area?)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Shrugging Laurana turns away, she had told them to go, what else did she expect? Still they must have passed the capitives to get where they were?

"Tas, I am going into the camp, I'm really quite scared but I don't want to let Tanis down, do you think we could sneak in, and rescue them?" Body shaking she looks to the stairs, seeing nothing else for it she climbs back down again slowly.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"In my opinion, the obelisk will bring us closer to the heart of the ancient city than the vine bridge, what do you think?" Goldmoon asks her companions.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"I Agree," Sturm replies glancing back to his compainions, where were the Elf Maiden and Tas? "We should however tread carefully, I will take the rear." He Hefts Brightblade into his off hand.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"A rescue? That sounds fun!" Tas says, following her down. "Besides, you know old Flint is just helpless without me. No telling what kind of trouble he'd get into if we don't go and save them."

Reaching the bottom of the tower and looking out, Laurana can no longer see the wraiths anywhere.

Meanwhile, the other group approaches the tremendous obeslik that lies beside its broken pedestal base, forming a natural bridge across the swamp water. Strange spidery runes cover its surface. To those who can read, the runes say:

The Great City of Xak Tsaroth
Whose beauty surrounds you
Speaks to the good of its people
And their generous deeds.
The gods reward us
In the grace of our home.