Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Study duty… (Echo/Amon)

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Study duty… (Echo/Amon)

Post by JadedDM »

After a moment, Amon nods and accepts the ring. "Very well, Master." The abjurer's conscious stung at spying on what seemed like nice, if not a little strange, folk. But he wants the excuse to spend more time with them anyway. And this assignment is certainly more exciting than sitting around in a library reading dusty old tomes!
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I have my reasons." Is all he says as he turns to Echo, "Echo?" he asks almost kindly, probably the first time she had heard a kind word from him. "It is important you do this for me my dear."

Sitting back he folds his arms, "Plus you might just get to put what you have learnt into place."

(ooc: waiting for HorizonsDream to respond)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Echo stares at her father coldly, as if this was some sort of slight on her very existence. "They are just strangers looking for gold," Echo says in annoyance. "Of course, after Amon here told the drow all about our families, maybe it isn't a bad idea to keep an eye on them," she adds, which seems to annoy her even more.

Unlike Amon, she didn't have a problem with the assignment given to them. They were strangers after all; strangers that hung out with a former evil drow. The thing that bothered her was that this actually meant spending time with these people, which was something she dreaded doing. The chance to grow in power was too strong for her not to agree to this though. Could she deal with the frustrations of dealing with these people for the chance to grow in power? Sure, she could. "Okay, I will do it," she finally says with a nod. "Only so I can make sure Amon stays out of trouble."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Daos nods in agreement, ”Thank you, my reasons will be clear soon enough. Please you may take this afternoon from your studies, I suggest you join them later, I believe they will probably wish to converse with Jakel.”

”You know the Story of the House do you not? The Alchemist who died trying to save the residents of this very village, he died of the very he was trying to cure.. That was before I arrived.” He stays sitting, his hands summoning a picture of a middle aged man, slumped over a desk, his hair white, hands no more than bones.

”I cannot be seen to help them, the council would never allow it, Ara is convinced it is a sign from Pelor, Linton couldn’t care less and your Father.” He looks to Amon ”I am unsure as to his motives. Either way I believe the House holds many secrets, yet my hands are tied.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both Echo and Amon spend the afternoon doing whatever they wish, returning to the inn after dark, when they enter Jakel is already in a corner, nursing a bottle of Whisky, numerous lamps illuminate the inn, creating pools of light all over.

The newcommers are still there and Brax appears to have returned now dressed in a full length red gown her silver skin shining in the lamplight.

Go to: http://padnd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f ... 745#p32745
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

When Amon arrives at Daos's study, he is surprised to find not only Echo, but also Kim, who rises politely as he enters, then waits for the master of the house to greet Amon first.

"Ah, there you are, Amon" Daos says gruffly. "I''ve invited Mage Kim here to join us. He has as much right to look at this than you two have. Now let's see how much you can learn from this" Daos points at the book lying on the table, which Amon recognizes as the spellbook he took from Sanbalet's study.

"Good morning, Mage Amon" Kim says after that, nodding in greeting. There might even have been a wink.

While the three junior mages look through the spellbook, Daos observes them.

Recap (from OOC chat)
The spellbook contains the following spells: 1st level: Color spray, Hypnotism, Wall of Fog, 2nd level: Detect Invisibility, Invisibility, Magic Mouth and Darkness 15 radius

Amon:
Chance to Learn (45%)
Hypnotism (1d100): 89, fail.
Wall of Fog (1d100): 25, success
Detect Invisibility (1d100): 93, fail.

Echo:
Color Spray (1d100) Success
Wall of Fog (1d100) Fail
Invisibility (1d100) Fail
Darkness 15' radius (1d100) Success

Kim:
Color Spray 1d100=46, success
Wall of Fog 1d100=94, fail
Hypnotism 1d100=92, fail
Detect invisibility 1d100=10, success
Invisibility 1d100=42, success
Magic Mouth 1d100=64, success
Darkness 15' radius 1d100=65, success

Kim reads the spells one after the other, together with Amon and Echo, then looks up at Daos to say:

"There is only the spell called »Color Spray« that I can understand, may I copy it? The four spells at the end of the book feel strange to me, like they're only a tiny fraction away from my understanding, but I might be able to grasp them once I'm a little more experienced. Would you allow me to look at the book again some time in the future?"

"Only one spell in there for you? And four that are »just beyond your reach«?" Daos almost scoffs at Kim. "I would have expected you to be more advanced than that" he says bluntly.

"Alas, no." Kim says quietly, not provoked in the least. "I did not have the luck to begin my studies as early as these two. In fact, I have only been able to study for two years now, and did not have the luck to meet a master as advanced as you are before now." Kim says with a little bow to Daos.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Echo looks over the spells almost determined to learn each of them. In the end, she looks up at Daos. She seems completely disappointed in herself. "Color Spray and Darkness were the only ones I could understand," she says with a sigh.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Unlike the others, Amon has little interest in most of the spells. Color Spray seems so violent. He does pick out a couple of spells that may seem interesting, and tries to copy them into his spellbook. The only one he succeeds at, though, is Wall of Fog.

"I learned Wall of Fog," he says. "That should be useful if we're to chase after ships at night."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

(OOC @Echo: You're 2nd level, so technically, you should not be able yet to understand Darkness, like it is the case with Kim, you almost get them, but not quite yet)

Daos looks as if he was undecided between being disappointed and being angry. In the end, he looks at Kim and says: "Apparently, I have just judged you wrong, you are more talented than these two here."

Then he turns to Echo and Amon. "Well, if this is all you can learn from the books, maybe you should return to the strange group and see if you can learn more from them about that smuggling operation. I will put this book into my library." With this, Daos turns and leaves the three younger mages alone.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Echo watches her father leave before she nearly glares at Kim. This certainly hasn't put her in a great mood. She stands. "Come on," she says as she stands to head to the inn where she assumes everyone is at.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

With a grin at Amon behind Echo's back, Kim follows her to the inn.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

More than accustomed to Daos' reprimanding, Amon quietly follows the other two out, keeping his head down and not saying a word.