Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 3: a Wolf in the Fold

"A mighty gem of azure hue, shall cause the dead to pay their due.
So place silver 'pon their eyes, lest the dead, again shall rise."

-Children's Nursery Rhyme, Year 83, Age of Darkness

Moderator: Ismaels-Legacy

Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 3: a Wolf in the Fold

Post by Breila »

Hedra watches over the women gathering edible weeds, helping here and there, not to seem arrogant, but mostly guarding and doing her best to get them all back safely.

If that succeeds, she will bless them before handing them over to Torina:

"Ohea, dankdr fr pflantsa
dimr essa kennet.
Dankdr fr shutts
dassmr hail zrkkomme sent.
Sekkne de pflantsa
sekkne ds essa,
lossuns satt werra
vonnm bissle."

(ooc: In Germany, thanksgiving was celebrated today. It's not the big family event as in the States, in fact, outside the churches which hold special services, it's hardly noticed at all)
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Wolf hums thoughtfully as he focuses on the fainter trail, magic used to conceal perhaps? He wondered in his own thoughts for a moment before he started tracking the rail, starting from the cart and moving in the direction it leads him. Perhaps someone in the camp was to blame?

Or was it something in the woods? He doubted it was an undead creature, anything that could go around unseen would doubtlessly be murdering people in their sleep.
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Things are rather quiet as the women collect plants. They are nervous, but there are plenty of guards to keep an eye on the distance. So far, the woods is silent, but silent in the way that animals are when other living creatures are around. Not the overwhelming silence that often precedes the undead. Few are talking and the ones that do are making sure that they pick the correct plants. At one point one lady stand up and calls for everyone's attention. She raises her arms in the air to make sure that everyone pays attention.

"Ya'll listen up, here! Not all dees plants come from de cats-tail! Summa dem are flowers! Dey make-a you very seek, so if-a dere no ot'er cats-tails, you don'a pick dem, eh?"

Everyone immediately starts looking around at the plants at there feet, making sure that they are harvesting the correct roots. One woman looks at her feet, looks at the stalks in her hands, makes a face full of disgust and frustration, and throws the whole bundle into the river with force.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolf is almost amused by this new pursuit. It's far more entertaining than tromping through the wilderness slinging fire at undead trees (An event that he can hardly believe took place). This is almost like a puzzle for him. The energy trail is dwindling, but the type of energy is one that is fairly new to him. It's hazy but glimmering. It forms a translucent haze over anything that it touches, yet it doesn't seem to stick. It's almost like it slips over and around anything it comes in contact with. Very curious...
"as long as you don't talk about one anchor fellating someone."-TSD
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Dee turns to Slade and says in a whisper. "Shall we search out the tracks, then? If the others are ignoring them, we might as well inspect them before we get blamed." He checks his gear and readies himself. "Shall we?"
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Carith looks rather bored, she watches the women pick plants with a far away look, occasionaly she checks around, then goes back to her distracted view.

She died, she actually died, everything else seemed just a little unreal, or maybe it was too real..
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Noticing Carith's absent look, Hedra walks over to her. "Are you OK? Or do you still feel weak after your ordeal?" she asks.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I find myself thinking, many times I see his face and know he marked me.. I have been marked by a god. Yet for what purpose?" was she really saying this..! Not long ago her life was all about pleasure.. "My life appears to have been wasted, a pointless search for pleasure. How does one cope with meeting one such as he?"
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"You have met a God?" Hedra's eyes are round in surprise and awe. "This has never happened to me, even though I have devoted my life to the Protector." A little envy shines through her words. "But I know that if you think you have to change your life, he will help you. I've seen that in others." She gently pats Carith's arms and moves on, back to supervising the plant collectors.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"That is where I went... He took me to his realm, and branded me." She rubs the tattoo.. "Either the mark is for good or ill.." She turns away and leans over in a small stream, splashing her face lightly with droplets she lets them run down her body with a smile.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Wolf is so focused on following the trail that he ignores where his tracking is taking him, like most casters of magic, once his attention was grabbed he tended to have tunnel vision.

If anything, his interest only grew as the trail grew fainter.
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

When the trail grows cold, Wolf looks up and realizes something a bit startling....he really hasn't gone that far. He's right in the middle of camp, really. His path took him in a circle for the most part and he finds himself at the cooking area.
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Wolf's eyes narrow suddenly. He glanced around at the members of the caravan, suddenly very suspicious. His stomach growls again, reminding him that he is still hungry. Leaning on his staff with his right hand, his left hand strokes his chin as he looks out from under his hood.

He slowly scanned everyone he could see, curious if he could detect any magical energy from them. If he was right, he was not the only arcane inclined person in this camp. Unfortunately, if they were not actively using their powers, he was not sure if he could detect them at all.
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Slade looks to Dee, nods almost imperceptibly, and slinks off between the wagons and into the woods. Once away from camp he moves closer and says, "the tracks I found were human, but they were far too regular in pacing to be shamblers. We're being shadowed. The bigger question is how they are doing so without being seen. There have been guards posted every night at regular intervals. Granted, many of them are still children at best, but still, someone should have seen them. So what does that suggest?" Slades final statement is issued with a single, raised eyebrow, as if he has already come to his own conclusion.

-------------------------------------------------------

As Wolf stares about the camp in alarm, Kara walks up with her pet squirrel. "Hey, Mister, what's wrong?" She'd not seen him like this before. He's been moody and temperamental, but the combination of problem-solving and alarm has given him an odd, almost feral countenance. Kara's friend Grace glides up smoothly and says, "Kara, what's going on? Ignatius is in a panic and Carson says there's a thief loose!"

-------------------------------------------------------

The women are starting to conclude their gathering when one of them stands up sharply and stares into the forest across the river. After standing there like this for some time, she calmly turns her head to one side and says, "Walker." From the dense undergrowth a staggering din can be heard. branches are breaking under clumsy foot and leaves are being dragged with each heavy foot fall. As the brush parts, a partially decayed body ambles into view. It's hollow eyes begin to gaze across the river, looking for prey.
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

"Stalking ability which means a shadow walker of sorts and possibly visibility hiding powers if you believe in such magics." Dee says simply. He thinks about it. "Perhaps, we have a spy in camp, too. It's hard to say at the moment. We need to find out before blame comes our way."
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Everyone back to the wagons, now!" Carith orders, placing her axe in her hand she stands to face the creature.

"Hedra get them back, get them safe, I'll cover the retreat." She all but pushes the dwarf away, a look of clear concern in her eyes. "Be safe." She smiles.

With that she faces the creature and prepares to take it on.

Borderlands 3 - Navi