Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 3: a Wolf in the Fold

"A mighty gem of azure hue, shall cause the dead to pay their due.
So place silver 'pon their eyes, lest the dead, again shall rise."

-Children's Nursery Rhyme, Year 83, Age of Darkness

Moderator: Ismaels-Legacy

Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 3: a Wolf in the Fold

Post by Jenara »

Carith nods and heads off with Hedra, watching the ground and the skyline.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

The tracks intermingle, making it appear as if the wolves and humans are traveling together. Could it be possible that they have managed to tame these primal creatures? The rest of camp looks normal. When the perimeter is searched, though, Dee finds that the tracks lead back toward the river, presumably across it, since there's been no sign of people shadowing the caravan. Of course, that might also mean that magic is involved....

-----------------------------------------

Hedra, Dorir, and Carith retrace the steps of the foraging party. The trail is easy to navigate and when they arrive, they quickly relay the scenario again, allowing Dorir a chance to view the layout as well. "A solo walker...." he mumbles to himself while he absently tugs on his beard. After a few visual sweeps over the area, he turns to Hedra and suggests, "Let's wander downstream a bit and see where the river leads. We wouldn't want the creature turning up later on our side, especially not in the night." He starts off at a brisk pace, jogging downstream. He shouts over his shoulder, "We want to be back before sundown. No need to make the sentries jumpier than the lads already are!"
"as long as you don't talk about one anchor fellating someone."-TSD
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Hedra looks at Carith, shrugs, and starts jogging, too, following Dorir.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Carith places her axe on her shoulder, and starts running with the others, her long legs allowing her to move swiftly barely breaking a sweat.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Callan ponders the wagon. "So the grain was in the hold. And now it isn't. Could be that someone found another way into the hold, directly from the outside, so that they didn't have to get through your locked door. Are there any hatches or such from the exterior to the hold? And is anything else missing?
"Think hard, now. So far, by some miracle I have yet to comprehend, nobody is blaming you for this. Best we provide them with an explanation before they do."
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Iggy looks self-sure for the first time and stares Callan directly in the eye. "No one blames me. Not for something I haven't done." His slowly simmering glare breaks almost immediately and his typical abashed nature returns. "Sorry about that. A bit of my old life slips through every now and again. No, no one will blame me because of Carson and Dorir. Both vouch for me and that means everything out here."

"As for external sources of access, the bottom of the wagon is specially sealed. The only way that I could forsee a person gaining access would be to take the grain through the drainage holes that we have (In case there is a leak and we need to quickly dry the hold). If that were the case though, the bags would still be left. Instead, the bags and grain both are gone." He ponders for a moment. "I'm a sound sleeper, but Grace isn't, so even if someone tried to break in here while I was asleep, she would awaken...."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Look here, Ignatius: knowing that Carson and Dorir trust you so much that you would never be accused, regardless of the circumstances, does not inspire confidence in your innocence. If anything, it makes you appear more likely to be guilty, seeing as you are 'above the law' so to speak. So set that line of reasoning aside, for your own sake.

"Let's talk about Grace. I'm new here. Grace is...?" Callan continues looking around the wagon, looking for any sign of a trick door or hatch that everyone has missed. He's frustrated at having to play detective. No sense in closing the barn door after the horses have left.
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

"Grace is the young lady who acts as my assistant. We picked her up several trips ago after her own caravan was attacked by raiders. There were no survivors and she was all alone. I started letting her sleep in the wagon with me when some of our passengers began to show more than a little interest in her. The world is hard enough, she didn't need the attention of ruffians to make it worse on her. So in turn, she helps me and keeps watch while I sleep. While Carson and Dorir may trust me, I unfortunately, trust no one." Iggy finishes with a sharp nod, but quickly gets an inspired look on his face. "...except for Miss Grace, of course."

((Grace is the young girl who is tagging along with Wolf's young ward))
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

"Let's check out the river, then. We can head back, after." Dee suggests in a low voice to his companion.
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"And I suppose she's trustworthy. But let's find out for sure. Can you arrange a conversation for me?"
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

"Absolutely!" Ignatius says as he pulls a small tin whistle from beneath his tunic. It hangs from a thin cord around his neck, kept close for emergencies. At Callan's curious glance, Ignatius volunteers, "It's technically a dog whistle but there's no dogs in the caravan, so I had a small magical item made that reacts to the whistle. Grace wears it around her neck and it will glow when I blow the whistle. It lets her know that I need assistance since I am technically hiding my existence." With that, Ignatius gives three sharp blows on the whistle, making no sound audible to Callan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dee and Slade are halfway across the river, fording a shallow point with lots of rocks to break the flow of water, when a sound pierces the air. It's in the distance towards the caravan, so it's hard to make out the actual sound.....at least until the sound it answered much, much closer. The hair on the rogues's arms stands on end as the bay of wolves echoes through the forest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dorir, Hedra, and Carith are about a mile downriver when they have to slow their pace. The land is turning swampy and footing is becoming treacherous. Dorir stops and considers the situation. "It looks like it may become a bit difficult to search for the shambler in tha swamp. We should probably turn back since it's getting dark. Tha' said, I don'na like the idea of runnin' into a horde o' shamblers in a swamp with the caravan..."

As the trio catches their breath, a sharp howl pierces the otherwise calm evening air; an almost animalistic howl of pain from the caravan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolf is in mid-conversation with Karen and Grace when his brain is rent with an piercing sound. He drops his staff and clutches his ears in pain as it pulses through his head three times. As the last blast echoes in the trees, Wolf opens his eyes wide and howls to the sky, his eyes yellowed and feral.

Karen and Grace are clutching each other and backing away as a nervous crowd gathers. Several guards are surrounding Wolf, spears leveled at him as one nervous youth kneels before him reaching out a tentative hand. "Sir, are you ok? What's wrong? Do you need a medic?"

As Grace holds Karen, the younger girl says, "Your pendant is glowing on and off like a firefly...". Grace pulls the pendant from beneath her shift and quickly says, "Ignatius!" She takes Karen by the hand and rushes toward the pack-master's wagon. When she arrives, she sees Iggy standing openly in view with Callan beside him. Ignatius greets her with, "Grace, are you OK? What was that sound?" After explaining the situation, Ignatius goes into his own little world as he ponders the effects of his whistle on a human mind like Wolf's. With the gnome otherwise distracted, Callan looks at the girl and says "I need to ask you a few questions." The stern look on his face causes Grace to back up a step and grip Karen's hand tight enough to make the girl pull away and say "Grace! You're hurting my hand!"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"What was that?" Hedra turns towards the camp switftly. "I think we'd better return!" she calls and starts to walk back, as fast as her short legs and the falling darkness in treacherous terrain allow.

Under her breath, she murmurs prayers as she is clutching her war hammer. If Carith and Dorir are close enough, they can make out the refrain "Oheah, hilfuns, oheah, shitsuns" she had taught the caravan's children earlier.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Carith turns as quick as she can, checking the Axe on her back she moves in front of the dwarf, stepping as fast as she can, "Tread where I do, do not stray from my footsteps."

With that she walks onwards, her mind set on finding out what sort of Monster had been brought into the camp.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Hedra hopes Carith will remember that the two dwarves cannot match her stride...
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

"GO! Get back to tha' camp!" Dorir shouts, urging Carith to return as fast as she can and not wait for the dwarves.