Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Time in Saltmarsh.... (Kim, Searos, Gunter, Echo & Amon)

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Time in Saltmarsh.... (Kim, Searos, Gunter, Echo & Amon)

Post by Jenara »

(This is for Kim/Gunter/Searos/Brax to bridge them to the Adventure.)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Re: The Road to Saltmarsh (Kim, Gunter, Searos, Brax)

Post by Jenara »

The Road from Greyhawk City had been a harsh one, fleeing for their lives they jumped on the nearest caravan leaving the City, its destination was unknown, anywhere would be better than here.

It started simple enough, answering a call for help, a way to make some money, and maybe a name, then came the dead woman… little had they known that her death would cause a sequence of events that nearly got them all killed.

They were attacked in the street by the creatures that only called themselves the Shadows. Ruthless and uncaring they killed anything that challenged them. The party barely escaped with their lives, killing two, they dissolved into dust, leaving only their weapons.

Realising they were outmatched, the rag tag group fled the city, joining a caravan, one bound for Keoland. The journey despite the relaxed nature, felt fraught with danger, Heading through Celene, then Ulek and finally Keoland, conversation was grabbed in small chunks.

Finally the Caravan rolls down a steep hill, a small valley visible below, a deep wide river flowing between the hills, falling finally into an open harbour. The fishing boats sit in the harbour, bobbing backwards and forwards in the afternoon sun.

”Where are here, end of the line” The Caravan master, a gruff old human called Eret announces, he hadn’t said much on the journey, he hadn’t even asked much about them. ”Saltmarsh, best fish this side of the Azure Sea.” He mumbles as the caravan slowly descends heading east to the valley below.

The trees and farmland slowly make way to rows of short houses, until they reach an large open square, a single bridge sits to the north, crossing the river at its narrowest point.

”And this is where we part, I dunno what your story is, but I suggest you get a room, stay low, maybe find yourself a ship to cross the Azure sea….” Eret adds as a final parting, slipping a small pouch into each members hands. (Inside is 20gp) ”Just to help” With that he takes the caravan over the wooden bridge, vanishing out of sight.

-------

The Party are waiting in the Town Square, to the North is the Bridge, obviously leading to the fishing huts, around them are numerous buildings, each is square, made of irregular stones, one stands out a slightly taller, and apparently larger building proudly displays a sign that reads “The Cobweb Inn”.

------

(OCC: sometimes, the Cliche works the best, if Elvenoff would have at least replied to my messages... oh well)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Kim stowes the pouch away, then looks at Eret's receding back. Strange, the last few days, so many people gave out valuable gifts, first in Greyhawk at the adventurer's store, now here... what was behind it?

Kim looks around the square, taking in the town and its inhabitants (who is on the square, and what are they doing?), waiting to hear what the comrades plan to do.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

The square is mostly empty, a few residents pass by cautiously keeping their distance from the group.

"Hmmm." Brax mutters, staring at the little village. "And what do we do here?" She scowls beneath her hood, staring at the buildings around her.

Searos's keen eyes spot a drape opening in an upstairs window, in a two story building located behind the group.

Seagulls call in the background, the few boats that remain creak loudly. As Kim scans the area she notes a tall man dressed in purple robes appears from the building, glances at the group with a look of disinterest then walks away.

The sign for the cobweb inn creaks loudly, dragging the group's attention to the old building. It is three stories high, sqaure, rows of small closed windows surround the building.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
The_Muffin_Man
Merchant
Merchant

Post by The_Muffin_Man »

Searos accepts the money pouch without a look or a nod and looks around the town. He gets a glum look on his face as he just takes it "all" in. He turns to the group and says to no one in particular, "I blame you for this..."

He then starts walking towards the "town" but does look briefly at the window that has been opened trying to get a look at the lookie-loo peaking out at the group.
Do YOU know the muffin man?
Robbo
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Robbo »

Gunter looks around, taking in the beauty of his surroundings. "Ahh cheer up Searos! Believe me, there are much uglier places to get stuck in and it seems safe enough out here. Perfect place to lay low and stay out of trouble if you ask me."

He smacks his lips together. "I think a mug of ale would go down well about now. How about we take Eret's advice and spend some of this windfall?" He shakes the pouch of gold in his palm.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

You can her a sharp intake of breath from Kim. "Do you think it is a good idea to show we have good money, Gunter?" Though spoken softly, the reprimand is sharp. "But yes, we should go to the tavern, get the horses stabled and some food, drink and a bed for ourselves."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Searos catches briefly catches sight of two figures watching from the window, they dissappear soon enough.

"Yes, we should stable the horses, get somewhere to stay, and decide what we should do next." Giving glance with her bright eyes, Brax nods in agreement, hiding inside her hood.

The inn appears basic but functional, smells of cooking are apparent from the interior. A door opens from the side, revealing a middle aged man, apron round his waist. He holds a simple sign in his hands.

He places the sign, then looks to the party curiously. "Who might you be?"

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Kim laughs a hoarse laugh. "Who might we be? The gruesome foursome. The fabulous four. The boon of the bay. We can be anything you want to see in us. But actually, we're just four hungry and thirsty travellers who would like a stable for their mounts and food and lodging for themselves."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"You'll be wanting to come in the Cobweb then..." He responds, "We have two rules: No fighting, and No hoods." The second statement is directed at Brax and Kim. Moving his short brown hair from his eyes, he stands with his arms folded across the apron. "You, Warrior, the Weapon stays in its sheaf, we be the only inn in town..." He says to Gunter.

Brax eyes him curiously, her hand resting on her mount, Aranas. "I would prefer to remove my hood indoors." She looks at the others, waiting for them to reply before acting.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Robbo
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Robbo »

Gunter's stomach growls at the smells wafting from the kitchen. He puts his hands up, palms out.

"Sir, I'd leave my weapons at the bottom of that river if it meant I could have some of whatever you're cooking in there. How much for a room?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Yes, my comrade has a good reason not to lower her hood in the square" Kim tells the innkeeper.
"You will see why once she does. Please let her in under your lintel.

Brax. I will see to your Aranas."

Kim's hood is lowered as the words are spoken. A rein in each hand, Kim walks over to the stables.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I guess thats something i can let you do.. Just this once. I'm Tel, in own this place. " heoffers his hand, "Price is a gold a night, plus five silver for the stable."

Anyone looking behind them notice two robed figures exiting the same building the drapes opened before.

Brax nods in agreement to both comments and enters the inn.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Thank you, Tel" Kim says, head turned over the shoulder.
The_Muffin_Man
Merchant
Merchant

Post by The_Muffin_Man »

Searos looks up at the window and frowns a bit at the idea of people already noticing their presence. As the party is ushered into the inn he just shrugs his shoulders and heads on in. He calls over his shoulder to Brax: "Its a small town bright eyes. Everybody is going to know little secret within a day."

Searos also makes a very pointed effort to ignore Gunter's good cheer.
Do YOU know the muffin man?