Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 1: The Road Travels East

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 1: The Road Travels East

Post by mltillis »

"How do you know that they are not, Raist?" Caramon says as he lowers his sword with some uncertainty. He keeps a suspicious eye on the lead centaur.
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Leafloam sways in response, almost as if nodding. It then drifts off back to sleep.

"Thee is in no position to ask questions," the centaur says to Caramon, eying his sword carefully. "We travel far and fast. I suggest thee ride. But fear not. Harm will not come to thee this night."

"Can I ride, Tanis, please?" begs Tasslehoff.

"Don't trust them!" Flint sneezes violently.

"I don't trust them," Tanis mutters, "but we don't seem to have a whole lot of choice in the matter."

At the princess' statement, the centaur bows slightly to her. "We are to take you to the Forestmaster."

"The Forestmaster?" Tanis repeats. "Who is he, one like yourselves?"

"She is the forestmaster," the centaur replies. "Now climb up." He looks to the brothers Majere. "I can bear the weight of thee both. Thy brother will need thy support, for we ride swiftly tonight."

(OOC: Yeah, I thought it was a nice touch. Leafloam is quite old, after all, and will not be kidnapped by the Sinister Shroom for another 25 years. :D)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Out of old habit, Goldmoon had drawn close to Riverwind when the strange voice spoke, gripping her staff tightly. When Leafloam and Tasslehoff talk, her eyes narrow in suspicion. What kind of magic was this? She would have to ask Laurana, she seemed to know.

When the centaurs tell the group to mount, she approaches the next one and says: "I am Goldmoon of the Que-Shu, and this is Riverwind. With whom do we have the pleasure to ride?"

(ooc: yes, it is nice to do a little time warp. Though Leafloam wouldn't recognize the reincarnated souls... )
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I am called Trephas, my lady," says the centaur Goldmoon speaks to. He is a handsome young man with long blond hair pulled back into a ponytail. He seems slightly younger than the others, perhaps an adolescent, but not any less strong or graceful, to be sure. "Thou art the one that carries the staff, yes? I would consider it a great honor to carry thee to see the Forestmaster."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

(OOC: :) Writing this from a Maccy D's! lol I assumed Laurana would know of the Treants, and the Centuars)

Laurana bows and mounts a Centaur gracefully without an argument "May I know the name of one who would ride me to the Forestmaster please?" She asks as she mounts.

"The Forestmaster, I have heard in Childrens Stories, I never believed she existed."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Surprised, Goldmoon stops for a moment. "You know about me and the staff, Trephas? But I received it such a short time ago! How could the news travel so far so fast?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

One of the females approaches Laurana. "I am called Eliana, and I will take you, your highness," she says with a light bow. She has hair as black as the night and tanned skin from a lifetime outdoors. Although slightly leaner and smaller than her male companions, she is still fairly muscular.

Trephas nods to Goldmoon. "There art many outside forces at work, my lady. The Forestmaster knew of thy approach. It was she who sent the white stag to lead thee here to us. She wishes to speak with thee about thy destiny and the importance of the staff thee wield."

"The hour grows late," the lead centaur says. "Let us be off."

Tasslehoff, giggling with excitement, jumps onto a centaur and promptly slides off the other side into the mud. Tanis, sighing, picks up the kender and sets him on the centaur's back. Then, before Flint could protest, the half-elf lifts the dwarf up behind Tas. Flint tries to speak but can only sneeze.

Tanis then mounts the lead centaur warily, looking to the others to see if they do so, as well.
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

Watching the others mount up, Caramon reluctantly sheathes his weapon and turns towards Raistlin..... "Well brother, shall we ride this night?"
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Thank you Eliana." She says with as much dignity as she can manage, glancing to Tanis, aware his leadership was paramount to the group, she had used her Royalty to get something...

"I was told stories of the Forest Master, how they watched over the animals, yet IO thought thats what it was.. Just a story." She asks, looking out into the wood.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"I will gladly come with you then, Trephas, for I need to learn everything I can about the staff." says Goldmoon as she makes herself comfortable on the cantaur's back.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Sturm stands unsure how to act, the Stag had lead him here. This forestmaster, had Huma met such a creature? He tries to remember the story.

Wait, why was he comparing himself to Huma?

Sighing he climbs aboard a Centuar, lost in his thoughts.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Once everyone is riding a centaur, the creatures suddenly take off, jolting their riders. The centaurs leave the trail and plunge into the forest. The moonlight is immediately swallowed up by the dense trees. Branches whip past them, swiping at their clothes. The centaurs never swerve or slow in their gallop, however, suggesting they know the trail well, although it is a trail none of the party can see.

Soon the pace begins to slacken and the centaurs finally come to a stop. They could see nothing in the smothering darkness, not even those with infravision. However, they can hear each other; they can hear Raistlin's shallow breathing, Caramon's jingling armor, and Flint's unabated sneezing.

"Why are we stopping?" Tanis asks.

"Because thee art here. Dismount," the centaur orders gruffly.

"Where is here?" Tanis slides off the centaur's broad back onto the ground. He stares around him but cannot see anything. Apparently the trees keep even the smallest glimmer of moonlight or starlight from penetrating through to the trail.

"Thee stands in the center of Darken Wood," the centaur replies. "And now I bid the farewell--or fare evil, depending on how the Forestmaster judges thee."

"Wait a minute!" Flint calls out between sneezes. "You can't just leave us here in the middle of the forest, blind as newborn kittens--"

"Stop them!" Tanis orders, reaching for his sword. But his weapon is gone. Anyone else checking will find their weapons gone, as well, save for Goldmoon's and Raistlin's staffs.

The centaur chuckles. Hooves are heard beat into soft earth and tree branches rustle. The centaurs are gone.

"Are we all here?" Tanis asks, reaching out his hand and feeling Sturm's strong, reassuring grasp.

"I'm here," pipes Tasslehoff. "Oh, Tanis, wasn't it wonderful? I--"

"Hush, Tas!" Tanis snaps. "The Plainsmen?"

"We're here," says Riverwind grimly. "Weaponless. But Goldmoon still has the staff."

"And a formidable weapon that is," comes a deep voice. "A weapon for good, intended to combat illness and injury and disease." The unseen voice grows sad. "In these times it will also be used as a weapon against the evil creatures who seek to find and banish it from the world."

"Who are you?" Tanis calls. "Show yourself!"

"We will not harm you," bluffs Flint.

"Of course you won't." Now the deep voice is amused. "You have no weapons. I will return them when the time is propitious. No one brings weapons into Darken Wood, not even a Knight of Solamnia. Do not fear, noble knight. I recognize your blade as ancient and most valuable! I will keep it safe. Forgive this apparent lack of trust, but even the great Huma laid down the Dragonlance at my feet."

================================

The Companions are taken 10 miles in heavy forest 3 hours. It is now 9 PM.

(OOC: Save for the Staff of Magius and the Blue Crystal Staff, all weapons have been temporarily removed from the party's inventory.)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Forestmaster? I am here, at your service. Tell me what this staff is supposed to do."

Goldmoon holds the staff horizontally high over her head, then she lowers herself on one knee and lays it down on the ground.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I am, indeed, the Forestmaster." Even as the deep voice speaks, the darkness parts. A gasp of awe, gentle as a spring wind, sweeps the company as they stare before them. Silver moonlight shines brightly on a high rock ledge. Standing on the ledge was a unicorn. She regards them coolly, her intelligent eyes gleaming with infinite wisdom.

The unicorn's beauty is heart piercing. Her fur is the silver of moonlight, her horn was shining pearl, her mane like seafoam. The head might have been sculpted from glistening marble, but no human or even dwarven hand could capture the elegance and grace that lives in the fine lines of the powerful neck and muscular chest. The legs are strong but delicate, the hooves small and cloven like those of a goat.

The unicorn tosses her head and then lowers it in grave welcome. Tanis and Flint, feeling awkward and clumsy and confused, bow in return. The unicorn suddenly whirls and leaves the rock ledge, cantering down the rocks toward the companions.

The party feels as if a spell has been lifted from them. The bright silver moonlight lit a sylvan glade. Tall trees surround them like giant, beneficent guardians. There is a deep abiding sense of peace here. But there is also a waiting sadness.

"There will be time for questions and answers. Rest yourselves," the Forestmaster says as she comes among them. "You are tired and hungry. Food will be brought and fresh water for cleansing. You may put aside your watchfulness and fears for this evening. Safety exists here, if it exists anywhere in this land tonight."

Centaurs come out of the forest bearing a clean, white cloth, which they spread on the grass. Others place clear crystal globe lights on the cloth, illuminating the forest.

Tasslehoff stares at the lights curiously. "They're bug lights!"

The crystal globes hold thousands of tiny bugs, each one having two brightly glowing spots on its back. They crawl around inside the globes, apparently content to explore their surroundings.

Next, the centaurs bring bowls of cool water and clean white clothes to bathe their faces and hands. Other centaurs place chairs. They are crafted of one piece of wood that curves around the body. They appear comfortable, except that each chair has only one leg!

"Please be seated," says the Forestmaster graciously.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

As the unicorn comes down, Goldmoon stands up. Mesmerized, she cannot help but reach out her hand to the beautiful creature, oblivious of anything else.