Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 1: The Road Travels East

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 1: The Road Travels East

Post by JadedDM »

The Forestmaster nods gravely. "I am glad you have made this decision. I hope you find my aid welcome."

She raises her head, looking up into the sky. The companions follow her gaze. The night sky, seen through the canopy of tall trees, glitters brilliantly with stars. Soon, the companions become aware of something flying up there, winking out the stars in passing.

"I'll be a gully dwarf," Flint says solemnly. "Flying horses. What next?"

"Oh!" Tasslehoff draws in a deep breath. The kender is transfixed with wonder as he watches the beautiful animals circle above them, descending lower and lower with each turn, their fur radiating blue-white in the moonlight. Tas clasps his hands together. Never in his wildest kender imaginings has he dreamed of flying.

The pegasi dip to the ground, their feathery wings creating a wind that tosses the tree branches and lays the grass flat. A large pegasus with wings that touch the ground when he walked bows reverently to the Forestmaster. His bearing is proud and noble. Each of the other beautiful creatures bow in turn.

"You have summoned us?" the leader asks the Forestmaster.

"These guests of mine have urgent business to the east. I bid you bear them with the swiftness of the winds across the Eastwall Mountains."

The pegasus regards the companions with astonishment. He walks with stately mien over to stare first at one, then another. When Tas raises his hand to pet the steed's nose, both of the animal's ears swivel forward and he rears his great head back. But when he gets to Flint, he snorts in disdain and turns to the Forestmaster. "A kender? Humans? And a dwarf?"

"Don't do me any favors, horse!" Flint sneezes.

The Forestmaster merely nods and smiles. The pegasus bows in reluctant assent. "Very well, Master," he replies. With powerful grace, he walks over to Goldmoon and bends his foreleg, dipping low before her to assist her in mounting.

===========================

It is now 10 PM.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Sturm nods to the oncoming Pegasi, then the Forestmaster.

"These wonderful creatures will take us to Xak Tsaroth?" He looks to his empty scabbard, then the Pegasi. "Are we riding now?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"What beautiful creatures!" Laurana shouts in awe, her face grinning like a little child, "I have read of my Cousins the Silvanesti Elves using Griffons.. But you are lovely.." She reaches forwards and strokes the nearest Pegasus's back.

Smiling when the Pegasus commented about the party she lets her hair fall behind her, looking at the creature with a smile. "I would be honored if you would carry me to Xak Tsaroth."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon bows to the Pegasus. "I thank you, Leader of Pegasi, for letting me ride."

After mounting, she turns to the forestmaster. "Forestmaster, I will never be able to do anything as valuble for you as your help today is for us. All I can do is to express my gratitude, with the promise to never forget what you did for us."
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Once Tanis is able to pull his gaze away from the pegasi, he nods to Sturm. "The sooner we get there, the better. Let's ride now."

As everyone mounts up, the Forestmaster nods to Goldmoon. "Dear Goldmoon, if you fulfill your destiny and accept the 'greatest gift to man' then you will do more for me than I could ever do for you. The fate of this wood, this land, even all of Ansalon will be determined by your actions in Xak Tsaroth. Your path will not be easy...and there will be a need for great sacrifice. But keep your faith, and you will succeed."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Laurana climbs aboard a Pegasus before anyone stops her, glaring at Tanis if he dares say anything.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon smiles at the unicorn. "All the same, I thank you for your help. And I promise to do my best so that your wood and our country can prosper."

She winds her hands into the pegasus's mane, not sure how smooth the flight-ride will be, and remembering the advice to use the mane to hold on from her early horse-riding lessons.

Is Riverwind riding with her or does he have his own mount?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

There are enough pegasi for each companion to ride alone.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Too bad... it would have been nice to ride enfolded in his arms. After all, the strong need comfort and support, too.
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

Caramon takes a moment to pluck Tasslehoff up and deposit him on the back of a nearby pegasi. He then does likewise with Flint, lifting the dwarf with a bear hug.... Uggh.. I'm not the only one who's gotten bigger over the years Flint. I'm just the only one who's gotten taller.... The big warrior then goes to see if his brother needs aid mounting...
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Once everyone was mounted, the pegasi spread their wings and take off into the night sky. They soar higher and higher, circling above the forest. The silver moon and the red bathe the valley below and the clouds above in an eerie, beautiful, purplish glow that recedes into a deeper purple night. As the forest falls away from them, the last thing the companions see is the Foresmaster, glimmering like a star fallen from the heavens, shining lost and alone in a darkening land.

One by one, the companions feel drowsiness overcome them.

Tas yawns. "No," he mumbles, blinking rapidly and pinching himself.

"Rest now, little kender," his pegasus says in amusement. "Mortals were not meant to fly. This sleep is for your protection. We do not want you to panic and fall off."

"I won't," Tas protests, yawning again. His head sinks forward. The pegasus' neck is warm and comfortable, the fur is fragrant and soft. "I won't panic," Tas whispers sleepily. "Never panic..." He sleeps.

================================

(OOC: Anyone can attempt to resist the drowsiness, by making a CON check every 10 rounds. Just let me know, and I'll roll them out depending on how long the trip takes. Keep in mind, though, the party has not really rested yet, and may not get the chance later once they arrive.)
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Forestmaster..." Goldmoom whispers in yearning as the shimmering form of the unicorn falls away.

As the drowsiness overcomes her, she makes herself comfortable on the Pegaus's back. "I entrust my life to you, Leader of the Pegasi" she says before falling asleep.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Flying high above the trees Laurana's eyes slowly start to close, the eyelids drooping as she fights to remain awake. "What is this sorcery?" She asks the Pegasus, never hearing the answer as she slips into a restful sleep.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Sturm watches the trees fly below him, his back straight, his face impassive, his mind on the task ahead he shakes his head, fighting the drowsiness that suddenly washes over him.

"No, must stay awake." He reprimands himself, keeping his head up, yet, the sleep washes over him regardless.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

The companions wake up to find themselves lying in a grassy meadow, the sun slowly rising over the horizon. The leader of the pegasi stands above them, staring off to the east.

Tanis sits up. "Where are we?" he begins. "This isn't a city." He looks around. "Why--we haven't even crossed the mountains yet!"

"I am sorry." The pegasus turns to him. "We could not take you as far as the Eastwall Mountains. There is great trouble brewing in the east. A darkness fills the air, such a darkness as I have not felt in Krynn for countless--" He stops, lowers his head and paws the ground restlessly. "I dare not travel farther."

"Where are we?" the confused half-elf repeats. "And where are the other pegasi?"

"I sent them home. I remained to guard your sleep. Now that you are awake, I must return home as well." The pegasus gazes sternly at Tanis. "I know not what awakened this great evil on Krynn. I trust it was not you and your companions."

He spreads his great wings.

"Wait!" Tanis scrambles to his feet. "What--"

The pegasus leaps into the air, circles twice, then is gone, flying rapidly back to the west.

"What evil?" Tanis asks glumly.

Once everyone is fully conscious and on their feet, the party looks around. They are standing on a flat prairie. There is not a tree in sight, nothing but rolling fields of tall grass as far as the eye can see.

"We're in the Plains of Abanasinia," Riverwind says, recognizing the area. "Still half a day's journey from the Eastwall Mountains. Our village lies to the east--"

The ranger stops suddenly and stares. Just to the east, snaking up to meet the bright new morning sun, are three thick, twisting columns of greasy, black smoke.

=======================

The Companions travel 21 miles through the air. They get plenty of rest. Because it's enchanted slumber, I rule everyone regains 1 HP from the rest, despite the fact they pushed themselves through the mountains and forest earlier.

It is now a new day.