Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 1: The Road Travels East

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 1: The Road Travels East

Post by JadedDM »

Several of the centaurs stop what they are doing when Goldmoon reaches out to the Forestmaster. A couple even advance forward menacingly, but the unicorn halts them with a look. Stepping forward gracefully, she allows Goldmoon to touch her.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Laurana stands in awe, it seemed as if Childrens Stories were coming alive. "Yes, yes..." She ushers the group to sit if they haven't already.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"What-" Sturm begins to say reaching for his blade, then relaxes at the forestmasters words. "Huma? Huma Laid a Dragonlance at your feet? The Stag, he followed the Stag like me."

When the table appears he sits with dignity, helping Laurana as she requires, watching the group.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Sturm finds the chair supportive and quite comfortable, despite its odd look. Tanis, Flint, and Tas sit down, as well, along with Laurana.

Four centaurs position themselves at each of the four corners of the huge white cloth spread out upon the ground. They lift the cloth to the height of a table, then release it. The cloth remains floating in place, its delicately embroidered surface as hard and sturdy as one of the solid tables in the Inn of the Last Home.

"How splendid! How do they do that?" Tasslehoff cries, peering underneath the cloth. "There's nothing under there!" he reports, his eyes wide.

The centaurs laugh uproariously and even the Forestmaster smiles. Next the centaurs lay down plates made of beautifully cut and polished wood. Each guest is given a knife and fork fashioned from the horns of a deer. Platters of hot roasted meet fill the air with a tantalizing smoky aroma. Fragrant loaves of bread and huge wooden bowls of fruit glisten in the soft lamplight.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"Forestmaster..." Goldmoon whispers as the unicorn allows her to be touched. Tears come to her eyes, all the hardships, questions and fears of the past days welling up inside her. But the strange beauty and wisdom that emanate from the unicorn seem to dissolve all these emotions, and with a "I thank you" Goldmoon is able to let go. She sits down at the "table" with the others.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Once everyone is seated, the companions begin to eat and drink, accepting the strangeness of their surroundings with the aplomb of seasoned travelers. Through there is nothing to drink but water--much to Flint's disappointment--the cool, clear liquid washes the terrors and doubts from their hearts as if it had cleansed the blood and dirt from their hands. They laugh, talk, and eat, enjoying each other's companionship. The Forestmaster speaks to them no more, but watches each in turn.

Finally, everyone begins shoving plates away and settling back in the strange wooden chairs, ending their dinner with pieces of sweet shortcake.

"Forestmaster," Tanis speaks up. "While on Prayer's Eye Peak, I saw army campfires to the north--many of them. Do these armies seek the staff?"

The Forestmaster regards them with sadness as she rises to her feet. She seems to have expected the question. "We have encountered scouts of the armies you speak of. While some do search for the staff, their ultimate goal is the total conquest of Ansalon. This army has creatures that are not of this world. They resemble reptiles, but walk upright. Upon death, they can cause further death to their enemies. Some of them entered the Darken Wood with a party of goblins from Haven a week ago. They wore hoods and cloaks, no doubt to disguise their horrible appearance. The centaurs followed them in secret, to make sure they harmed no one before the spectral minions dealt with them. The centaurs reported that the creatures call themselves 'draconians.'"

Tanis pales. "And there are armies of these things? Thousands of them? But where did they come from?" He frowns and looks to Laurana. "Perhaps we should go to Qualinost after all..."

"The elves have their own problems," the Forstmaster says, her cool voice having a calming influence. "As do the Highseekers of Haven. No place is safe. But I will tell you where you must go to find answers to your questions."

"What do you mean you will tell us where to go?" Flint asks. "What do you know of us?"

"Yes, I was expecting you," the Forestmaster replies. "A great and shining being appeared to me in the wilderness this day. He told me that the one bearing the blue crystal staff would come this night to Darken Wood. The spectral minions would let the staff-bearer and her companions pass--though they have not allowed human or elf or dwarf or kender to enter Darken Wood since the Cataclysm. I was to give the bearer of the staff this message: 'You must fly straight away across the Eastwall Mountains. In two days the staffbearer must be within Xak Tsaroth. There, if you prove worthy, you shall receive the greatest gift given to the world.'"

"Eastwall mountains!" The dwarf's mouth drops open. "That's over forty miles away, through mountain and forest and plains. We'll need to fly all right, to reach Xak Tsaroth in two days time. Shining being! Hah!" He snaps his fingers.

Tanis says hesitantly, "I'm afraid the dwarf is right, Forestmaster. The journey to Xak Tsaroth would be long and perilous. We would have to go back through lands we know are inhabited by goblins and these draconians you spoke of."

"And then we would have to pass through the Plains," Riverwind speaks for the first time since meeting the Forestmaster. "Our lives are forfeit." He gestures toward Goldmoon. "The Que-shu are fierce fighters and they know the land. They are waiting. We would never get through safely." He looks at Tanis and Laurana. "And my people have no loves for elves."

The Forestmaster nods gravely. "I understand your dilemma," she says. "I offer what help is in my power. I will see to it that you reach Xak Tsaroth in two days. The question is, will you go?"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Weary and worried as she was before meeting the forestmaster, Goldmoon is now filled with a sense of purpose. She stands up.

"From all we have learned, there is no turning back. If we want to be anything but cowards who suffer or even bring about doom, there is no other way than forward. I am ready to go. It is my duty, because the staff has been entrusted to me."

Goldmoon looks at each member of the party in turn, her face calm and set, the question "Will you join me?" in her eyes only.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"These creatures are slowly appearing all over Ansalon? Then the rumors my Father heard is true.." She sits, her mouth agape from a moment, "Yes the Elves have their own problems, they are planning something, what I have no idea. I made a mistake thinking going there was a good idea."

She looks to the Forestmaster, "Where is this Zak Tsaroth? It is not somewhere I know." Frankly anywhere outside of Qualinesti was strange, all this was so new.

"I will go, it is the only way to help my people it seems."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Raistlin stays quiet and just watches things for the moment, leaning on his staff.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Xak Tsaroth...some ancient city, before the Cataclysm," Flint explains. "I heard it was swallowed up by the Newsea, though."

"Not entirely," the Forestmaster replies. "There are ruins still on the shore."

Tanis nods. "All right, I'm going, too. That's my decision. If we do not reach Xak Tsaroth within two days, others will and this 'greatest gift' may be lost forever."

"The greatest gift!" Tasslehoff says, his eyes shining. "Just think, Flint! Jewels beyond price! Or maybe--"

"A keg of ale and Otik's fried potatoes," the dwarf mutters. "And a nice warm fire, but no--Xak Tsaroth!"

Riverwind says nothing, but he stands near Goldmoon. It's clear he intends to go wherever she does, regardless of danger.

Tanis looks to the Majere brothers and Sturm. "And you three?" To Laurana, he says, "It may be better if you return home, Laurana. We'll be facing great danger there, beyond anything we've encountered so far."

====================

(OOC: Raistlin can elaborate on Xak Tsaroth, if he successfully makes an Ancient History check and chooses to do so. Unless Talyn doesn't know himself, in which case I can supply the information upon a successful check.)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I am going with you!" Laurana scoffs loudly, "I can fight, I helped with the Centaurs, I am no little girl, I am woman, and as such I will make my own choices." She turns her back on Tanis, looking to the Forestmaster.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Tanis sighs at her outburst. Her outburst is only further evidence she is not as mature as she claims. Rather than argue with her and cause an even bigger scene, he turns away and faces Sturm and the Majere brothers instead, awaiting their answer.

=============

(OOC: Pity that the party so wisely avoided the cleric encounter...Laurana could have proven herself then!)
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

Caramon fetches his helm from where it lies.... "We've got armies at our backs Tanis, and only one path leading onward. Maybe this gift will somehow rout our foes, or at least keep us from being drawn and quartered. I'm with you"....
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"My Place is with you Tanis, as always. I will go to Zak Xak Tsaroth, if that is where we are headed." Sturm adds thoughtfully, the Girl had once again showed her age, her immaturity, it was no doubt that Tanis would leave her here, or get her taken back to her people.

"I would watch your words My Lady." Sturm says quietly, as Tanis turns, he did not want to speak out of turn, yet she needed his help. "A true Warrior does not shout of his deeds, he keeps his cool, with composure and honor." He says with a smile, he was doubtful it would work, yet she had spirit.
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Raistlin nods. "I will go to Xak Tsaroth with you." he says to Tanis. He glances at Caramon. "My brother has the right of it."