The Premise

Moderator: Ismaels-Legacy

Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

The Premise

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Blood of a Hero is a fantasy RPG that I began creating about 8 years ago. It has gone through many changes, finally settling on the current incarnation. I wanted a gaming system that was more free-form than current systems, but one that accurately represented the Super Hero genre. This proved to be difficult since most of the time, systems like this have a clear cut pass/fail or live/dead mechanics. What I wanted was a system that allowed characters to pair off in an epic battle pitting power against power.

Beyond that, I wanted players to have the ability to create any character type that they wanted. The Super Hero world is varied as much as the real world, if not more so. That's what I wanted to capture. As such, the core system has three character archetypes that a player can choose from (Until expansions come out, that is!):

the Vigilante: this hero has no special powers, but through intellect and skill, they have become a formidable force against crime. Vigilantes tend to have higher income than other hero types.

the Alien: this character comes from a planet other than Earth. They may have natural abilities that are common for their race or their body may have a specific reaction to our planet that grants them their 'powers'. Aliens will have access to more character traits than other heroes.

the Mutant: this hero has had something alter their physiology, granting them powers or traits above and beyond the norm. Mutants will have access to more powers than other characters, as well as the ability to 'fluctuate' their powers when they gain a level.

Reading this, you may be asking yourself about how you get powers, traits, etc. Every character is given a number of points to spend on one of three things: Skills, Traits, and Powers. Skills are abilities and talents that the character can learn or otherwise acquire through their travels and adventures. Traits represent unique abilities that are "Always there" such as wings, invulnerability, etc. Powers are special characteristics that the character can activate such as lasers, weather manipulation, or magnetism.

Now, since this is a game, conflicting actions are resolved through dice rolling. The mechanic I use for this is similar to what is typically used in other games for weapons, though, slightly modified to fit the system. Each power or skill that the character has will be given a level grade, ranging from 1 to 5. Each level increment expands the size of the die used.

Level 1 - d4
Level 2 - d6
Level 3 - d8
Level 4 - d10
Level 5 - d12

(Now, there is technically a level zero skills that are undertaken by 'normal people'. This roll is a d2, without the chance to score a critical hit. This is getting a little ahead of myself, though.)

So that's the basics. I'd like some feedback if you actually get a chance to read all of this. I'll be posting more detailed info as time permits. I'd like to get character creation on here so we can start that process, though there's quite a bit to type of for that aspect!
"as long as you don't talk about one anchor fellating someone."-TSD
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Re: The Premise

Post by Breila »

So basically, the Alien says: "I'll fly onto that roof" and the Mutant says "I'll shoot him down with my laser beam" and they both roll their dice and who scores higher wins?

Oh, for the Vigilante, shouldn't it be "he has more skills" and not "he has more income"? Makes more sense to me with the following.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Breila wrote:Oh, for the Vigilante, shouldn't it be "he has more skills" and not "he has more income"? Makes more sense to me with the following.
I never noticed that, but I agree with you there.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

The two characters in your example wouldn't have to each roll independently for their actions. If the alien was just flying up to the roof, there would be no rule, but if there were guards up there shooting at him, then yes, they would have to roll to fly up there. The same with the laser example. They would roll to aim with their laser, and the more accurate their shot, the more damage that laser will deal.

As for the vigilante, the skills are certainly their primary means of service, though they also require afar larger income to support their vigilantism as opposed to other hero types. The only exception I can think of, is Rorshach from Watchmen, who was homeless. Iron Man and Batman are both rich and Punisher has a hefty income (If not illegal).
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

So the first thing anyone who wants to play a vigilante needs to think of is how the hero will gather the funds he/she needs.

(Which leads to a second thought: When can the poor guy/girl sleep, to work for their living and be a hero?)
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

That is very much a conundrum! One that many heroes face themselves! :D

The main reason Vigilantes are given extra money in this game is because they have a huge budget necessary for 'gadgets'. :D