Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

OOC

"A mighty gem of azure hue, shall cause the dead to pay their due.
So place silver 'pon their eyes, lest the dead, again shall rise."

-Children's Nursery Rhyme, Year 83, Age of Darkness

Moderator: Ismaels-Legacy

Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: OOC

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

The basic history is that the "Blue Gem" was originally meant to be a Resurrection Stone, a powerful artifact use to bring people back from the dead. Something happened and it became corrupted, cracked, and instead raises the dead rather than resurrect them. In this botched attempt at enchantment, it also gained some form of sentience which allows it to gain rudimentary control of 'hosts', thus it's personal guard of two undead ogres.

Things got 'bad' 153 years ago according to the dwarven lore, though the actual problem began roughly 200 years prior to the current time. It began small, but the whole thing worked like a plague. It affected small pockets of population, spreading slowly, but exponentially. In this time it completely decimated the fey population; driving gnomes, halflings, and other 'lesser fey' into extinction. The elves suffered terribly because their birth rate is so low and so slow. They do not deal well with massive population decline. They also are not affected by the gems effects, so the other races resent them to some degree, mostly because elves will never have to kill their zombified loved ones, while most other races have first hand experience.

Human character will roughly be the end of the third or start of the fourth generation. Dwarves will be the second or possibly third generation when entering this scenario. Elves, if played as elders, will remember ALL of this. Even young elves will remember dealing with most of the problems when things got really, really bad.

Like I said earlier, things spread like a plague. It didn't collapse all at once, but when things started getting bad, people panicked. Strongholds and fortified cities became the only refuge. Humans and elves were fighting a losing battle and it was the dwarves and their engineers who saved humanity. Their technological skill allowed them to quickly and efficiently fortify cities and towns, carving vast havens directly from the mountain-face in some situations. The most prominent of these cities is the fortress of Haven. It's citadel is hewn from the living rock, the rubble being used to create the outer walls protecting the town itself. Haven is going to remain a place of legend until your characters reach it since it's a place that most people only dream of reaching in their lifetime. As such, the PCs will OBVIOUSLY be traveling there! ;)

Humanity for the most part think things are bad and getting worse. Faith in the gods is incredibly strong in those who choose religion, but faith in general is very black and white. Most people either believe that the gods are with them or against them. For that matter, most gods have been abandoned, some becoming jealous and vengeful against those who remain, though their own power has weakened due to the lack of followers.

Funerary rites have changed drastically, becoming almost entirely cremation. Bodies are given a wake of 24 hours (Except in the case of death by zombie, in which case the corpse is decapitated immediately). When it has been determined that they are indeed dead and staying dead, they are cleansed and dressed for the pyre, and two silver coins are placed over their eyes. (Granted these coins hold no monetary value at this time, but they are minted specifically by the clergy for use in funerary rites. They are traded as tokens of favor for goods and services, basically ensuring a safe funeral for those who receive them).

Speaking of money, there really isn't much to work with. Almost everything is run in trade and 'credit' within individual towns. If you are traveling from town to town you'd better use your credit to purchase material goods since local 'Notes of Mark' could be quite useless in your next destination. Larger strongholds have been circulating Trade Tokens, though these are few and far between, and usually not accepted in smaller towns and villages.
"as long as you don't talk about one anchor fellating someone."-TSD
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Ok, I'm away for the weekend, as from tomorrow.

I'll be back on monday, my relationship needs some alone time... or else it won't be anymore..

SO, I'll return as soon as I can....
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Sorry I'm running behind, guys. I got slammed with a large leatherworking order and I've been rather busy at work. I've been coming home from work and then working on leather, so I've had little time for anything else. I'll have stuff posted this weekend and I hope to get the preludes wrapped up so I can start Chapter 1 soon.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

We'll wait, esp. as some of that Leatherworking is for me!

Carith is busy scoring free drinks, so she'll be fine.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Sooooooo... :)
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Right! So. In order to keep my own sanity and to help the game progress quicker, I'm going to end each person's prelude with a final post. This keeps the preludes a bit open-ended, but also has served to give people a glimpse into the world of ever dark and some of the immediate events that have brought them together.
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Be ready folks, chapter 1 will be starting soon! Sorry again for the delay!
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Huzzah! I never lost faith in you IL. ;)

Looking forward to the start of the game. :)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Haha my constant pestering paid off! Nice one IL Carith is very happy!

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Just one question: is the man who "hired" Hedra setting out with the caravan?

His chin will just not have made contact with the "T" of her warhammer, with the clear statement that all he'll ever get from her is her work.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Lol Brelia, like the man said its up to you what happens its your choice. I chose for Carith to end up with "someone" not what I expected but cool...

Look out, she's coming to a Caravan near you!

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Ok, I'm in a bit of weird situation here.
Carith is going to bring out some pretty dark themes, sometimes I may well cross the PG barrier, so....

We are all adults here, but if you have an issue with anything I write, please let me know, as an Admin I am supposed to check this stuff, but I'm in a compromised situation!!!

IL, its up to you to keep me / her in line on this one.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

@ IL: Am I free to develop Chanter theology on my own or should I give you the outlines per PM as they develop?
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

Please, be my guest to develop them! I'll be honest, the chanters came as an accident when I did this original scenario with my friends. The group had been overwhelmed by the undead in the first mission (Because NO ONE brought along proper weapons!) so I had to bail them out and the Dwarven Chanters were born! Originally they were just Clerics who were using Turn the Undead, with a little flavor text added. After a while the idea took hold so I developed it a bit more!
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Who would do this without weapons? WOW.

Breila, your chanter is cool, great PC.. thanks for not taking offense... I might tone her down a little...

Borderlands 3 - Navi