Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Down the Dungeon Way - the actual gaming thread

Down the Dungeon Way: Hosted by LadyWinterWolf. Group Members only!

Moderator: LadyWinterWolf

BryantTheSwordsman
Peasant
Peasant
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Down the Dungeon Way - the actual gaming thread

Post by BryantTheSwordsman »

I gather my supplies which includes what he normal has plus his Quiver of sheaf arrows, 2 large sacks, waterskin, and 5 torches that were in my horse's saddlebags.
To the Jester: I have asked for directions before, but every time I get lost even more.

To the rest: I am ready for this dungeon, are you my colleagues? I have a feeling we will have quite a time.

My character ties up his horse to the building. Do what is necessary to make sure his horse will survive while Kleos is exploring.

After that he heads to the door and waits by the dwarf, making last minutes checks on his gear and ready his bow for the dungeon below.
SNORT, IM A DRAGON, SNORT
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Seeing that the rest are looking to proceed, Martin picks himself up, dusts himself off, and heads down the corridor, looking at the various tapestries as he goes.

[OOC] Are there pictures on them, or just patterns? If so, what are the pictures of? [/OOC]

Upon catching sight of the doors, he pauses, awed, and eyes the large brass rings. "What knockers!" he gasps.

Edit by LWW: Re: The Tapestries: They are too faded to tell.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

*Deep within the dungeon, the she-wolf waits in the darkness. Her amber eyes glow with anticipation, knowing that there is fresh prey that will soon enter her realm.*

*She waits, and waits, and waits, but she is more filled with curious wonderment than annoyance. She bounds up the stone staircase to take a peek at the newcomers. Popping her head through the door, she sees a dwarf examining it, while a human, an elf, and a somewhat looking elf stand about jabbering to one another.*

*To her own mind she says, “For this I gave up such a tasty morsel as a paladin can be”. “Oye, you!!" *Addressing the over muscled dwarf, Drake, "Stop being a girly man, and pull the doors open. I've not got all day." *Within the wink of an eye, her head popped back through the wood, and she sat upon the top step......waiting.*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Once the doors are fully opened, your nostrils are assailed by stale, damp air from the darkness below. The light from the hallway illuminates the top step leading down into the dungeon. Upon it you can make out the shape of a large wolf, sitting on its haunches, as if it has been waiting....just for you. Everything past the wolf is in utter darkness. You pause after the doors swing open, and the wolf addresses whom she can see, in a voice that is harsh with an animalistic growl, and yet feminine sounding.*

"I’ve been waiting for you. Though I will be your guide from time to time, it will be your own wits and skills which will tell the true tale."

*Standing up and stretching, she motions with her head towards the darkness. She again begins to speak, *

"Along the walls, on both sides, you will find unlit torches every 10 feet, leading down into the dungeon. The walls are roughly cut stones, covered in lichen. Cobwebs hang densely from the ceiling and walls, leading down some 40 feet. Moisture has seeped in from the outside over the years, so it can be rather slick, with a thick green slime in some areas. As you can see, no one has been through this passage in many years. There have been some before you, but they have never returned. So your journey begins........."

*The she-wolf turns, running down the steps and fades into the darkness of the stairwell.*

(OOC – please post marching order once it is agreed upon; it will be assumed that you move forward 10’ per round)

Long Live the Witch Queen!!!
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"A talking wolf. Now there's something you don't see every day."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Aye, that's a new one.." the dwarf replies turning his back on the others he mutters under his breath, "Hedgehog indeed..."

Pulling on his nose chain, he returns his attention to the party.
"I guess we go in."
Drake pushes the doors open wide.
BryantTheSwordsman
Peasant
Peasant

Post by BryantTheSwordsman »

Kleos lights a torch and starts to light the other torches so he doesn't have to rely on the one he has out. "Well that is interesting, to see a talking wolf. Maybe there is a lot more than just ruins to explore or I am just hoping so. Either way, Norman take point and every one follow and be weary. My bow will be ready regardless, I will take the position behind him.

OOC: It is two abreast in this corridor correct?

Edit by LWW: the stairway is 10' wide
SNORT, IM A DRAGON, SNORT
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Moving in behind Kleos, Beillion is quiet. The talking wolf is on his mind. He checks the area around him as they move forward for signs of the previous people as they move forward. Looking at the roof, he checks for torch marks along the walls and cobwebs. The black marks of soot might betray a path. He unslings his hammer and lets it drape over his shoulder casually.

(( OOC: Taking up position behind Kleos ))
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

The halfling watched them from the grass, staying hidden and keeping low. He didnt know who they were or why they were here...but they looked wealthy. An archer boy, a Dwarf/hedgehog/duck type monstrosity, A jester, and a elf...sounds fun eh?

"Oh! they're moving...where are they heading off to?" he tried to follow them slyly, keeping out of sight and not moving until the last one was inside. He handed the horse an apple to keep it calm and poked his head inside. he thought to himself "A talking wolf!?...how much do you think that would fetch in a market, hmm?"

as far as he could tell these fools werent dangerous...especially the actual fool. He stepped out into the hallway and shouted "What ho, my newfound companions! where are we headed off too this fine day?" he kept his hood up and his hand on a dagger, just in case. "oh yes, that remark about us smaller folk being easily concealed? thats not what your sister will tell you, my friend" he flashed a cocky smile, revealing his crooked teeth and the pipe clenched firmly between them.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Drake places his head in his hands momentarily, produces a torch from his pack, lighting it swiftly, pausing for just a second to check his money pouch.

"Arghhhh.... So, are we all together?"
LadyWinterWolf
Freeman
Freeman

Post by LadyWinterWolf »

*At this time, Martin is the only party member remaining in the corridor when the thief, Evis, announces himself.*

*Drake, Kelos and Beillion have already moved 10' down the stairway. They hear what has been said by Evis, but have not acknowledged him.*

*With the lighting of the torches by Kelos, Beillion's infravision is totally useless; while Drake's was reduced to 30'. However, with Drake lighting a torch of his own, his infravision is now at zero. He can only see, from the light of the torches, 30' ahead to the bottom of the stairway. Anything beyond is in total darkness and undiscernible. More will become recognizable every 10' the party moves forward.*
Long Live the Witch Queen!!!
Kaber
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Kaber »

Stepping from beyond the trees and into the weed strewn lawn, a red robed, white haired man shuffles. He holds the reigns of a mule and gestures wildly as if speaking with the animal.

"...which is precisely why a platinum ring inserted into the base of the globe is essential! I tell you Snickerpuss, this will work."

The old man stops abruptly to examine his whereabouts. He stretches and breathes deep, seeming to relish the dark, cloudy day. The mule snorts as it looks to the weeds near the cracked stone stair leading into an immpresively large and unwelcoming castle like mansion.

" What!?. No, no, you'll not want to walk in there. No doubt hiding a myrid of foul beasties waiting to gobble an unsuspecting mule such as yourself up. No, those weeds are probably fed by the blood of the innocent. I'd stay on the path if I was me. Wait....I am me? right? Well of course I am or I'd be some one else....unless I was someone else pretending to be me. But then, I would still be me only pretending to be not me. Haha! Quite right!

He turns to the mount and unsheathes a staff and a removes a small backpack. Shouldering the pack her turns to eye the mighty fortress.

"You stay here and keep watch Snarfalopolis, Snickerpuss and I shall investigate this mighty mansion of discontent. Aye, I smell magic in those halls I do and by the gods I'll have it." He pats the steed and Shouldering the pack he turns to eye the mighty fortress.

"STAND ASIDE YE FOULD BEASTS OF BEYOND!!!"

The wizard shouts at the castle

"KNOW MY NAME AND FEAR IT FOR I AM SIMARILLACABUM, THE GREATEST WILD MAGE TO EVER WALK THESE LANDS AND I HAVE COME THAT YOU MAY YEILD YOUR SECRETS UNTO MEEEEEE!!! Hehehe, that aught to strike a little fear into them nasties, right Snick?"

A white mouse peaks from beneath his hooded robe and squeaks it's dissaproval.

With that the old wizard moves along the path to the stone stair, pausing here and there to examine a weed. Once at the stair he begins to study the stone, moving his hand along each step before reaching the entrance. There he does the same along the each edge of the entryway before disappearing around the corner and into the corridor. He then quickly steps out again.

"Snickerpuss.....there are people down there" The mouse squeaks at Sim who cocks an eybrow at the rodent
"Offer them aid? Are you sure that is wise?" The mouse chitters. Sim answers
"Oh alright then, if you insist but do be quiet, you might alert nearby monsters!"

With that the Wizard steps back into the corridor and saunters down the hall, staff before him, a knowing smile on his face.
The magic of life is it's mystery. Never let the wonder of it all die
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Beillion calmly looks around and declares. "I am Beillion. Not a great mage, I am actually a priest of moderate power and strong faith. And, it would seem that this castle is popular at the moment." He indicates the castle walls and torches. "Care to join us for a bit of random exploring? Mind the cob webs, though. Fire and all that..."
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"Nor-man!" Martin calls out, "Norman - all we need now is a gnome!"
To the-as-yet-unnamed-newcomer-that-we-all-know-to-be-Evis-although-he-has-not-yet-given-his-name: "Crude and unprofessional, Frodo. Why, you don't even know if I have a sister.
"But I like you, and we can work on your delivery."
Martin smiles at the newcomer. "You can call me Broon, if you like. And what shall we call you?"

He is still smiling at the newcomer when the mage makes his overly loud entrance. "Now, it's a party," he mutters under his breath.
"Greetings, Speaks-With-Catfood," he says, with feigned reverence. "I am Runs-With-Scissors, but you may call me Tim.
"You haven't, perchance, brought a gnome with you, have you? It's just that the hedgehog is keen on collecting a whole set, you see."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Drake pauses and turns to Kelos, "Here take this" He passes Kelos his torch, "Save yours, You'll need it later on." Assuming the rest of the "party" has or will catch up in a moment Drake walks to the end of the stairs, keeping a short distance between him and the Archer.

ooc
1 What Can I see when I get to the bottom?
2. How long before the others catch up? (I'd prefer it if they left some distance between me and the torches, but someone with Infravision can join me).
3. Do I have an idea of how deep underground I am?
/ooc
Wizard_of_Wumbo
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Wizard_of_Wumbo »

Evis stares up at the fool, sneering at his stupid grin, thinking to himself "critique my jokes will you? you talentless cod..." but knowing that these words may very well get him kicked into a wall he restrains himself and smiles back at the fool.

Ah, tim indeed, you wouldnt happen to be an enchanter would you, fool? i seem to remember a fellow like that...he had a curious obsession with fire, and hm...whatever shall i let you call me? well...i assume Arthur will suffice for the time being Evis...or Arthur...reaches into a belt pouch and retrieves a potato sized shrew

and this is my trusty servant patsy He tries to adress the mage and the fool with all of this, quickly turning his head back and forth to make it apparent that he sees the OTHER newcomer, he suddenly runs over to the mages side and eyes him suspiciously. He places Patsy back in his pouch and presents his ring to the mage.

So...you think youre pretty bad hunh? you think that you're the only Man of magic around here? the only one with...Power!? well watch this old timer! i can do...stuff too! He begins to attempt to appear powerful, muttering some sort of sudo-arcane gibberish as he rubs the ring and whispers the command word to it. A sudden and yet tiny puff of smoke and flame rises from his hands...and then dies anti-climactially. He looks back up at the mage with a smile full of painful nervousness...

Yes well...still working out the kinks and so forth. Oh and yes he gestures to wherever the mouse in hiding keep you wits about you with that one, damn cats...they can be a coniving, evil bunch, they can! would'nt want that little guy to be a tasty snack, now would we?