Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH. 14: Darkest Hour

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH. 14: Darkest Hour

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (Outside Prefect's Mansion)
Haahqae's thorough investigation of the exterior of the mansion reveals the following information. First, there are three main entrances. There's the main entrance in the front, large double doors guarded by half a dozen kapaks. There are also two smaller entrances in the back, each guarded by a pair of kapaks. There are numerous windows, too many to count, although none are open. In fact, there's an entire room jutting out of the west wing made of glass--some kind of greenhouse, from the look of it.

The second floor also has numerous windows, although none are open. There are no balconies at all.

There's also two patrols of kapaks, six each, that routinely made rounds around the mansion grounds, keeping an eye out for any intruders.

So far nobody has entered or exited the building since his arrival.

Kendra Synclair (Prefect's Mansion)
"Very well," Tethys says. "I'll begin the preparations for the executions in the meantime. Come see me when you are done."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Well... i wonder if there might be one inside of a building or something... aside from a privy, anyway. I guess something on the NorthEast [bottom left on map, right Jaded?] side of town would work...
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"I know of something like that but will need to ask the owners' permission," he dwarf admits. "How long will I have to rest for your healing to work?"
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra nods to Tethys, then turns and leaves so that she can go visit her husband.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas verifies that Magnus is indeed dead. Then takes his belongings and put them in his own bag. If Magnus wore the ring and broach so will Tulbas, thinking to himself, 'This will always remind me of the justice had been done today.' and then he goes and searches the other bodies around.

==================================================================
(OOC: All that time Tulbas is attend to noises or other dangers. He keeps eye contact with Selowen in case she heard or felt something. If they will suspect he will freeze for a moment and then sneak quietly to the most hidden place they can find around. Also, does Ancient History and/or spellcraft can help with identifying magical items? How long does it take to use Cantrip for magic detection? And does the direction sense can help them get out faster?)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Owner? Oh, so it's in a building? As for the healing, i'd have to see the extent of damage before i could give an exact date, but in general terms; if you keep away from strenuous activity it would keep your recovery up as if you were resting. And if you get complete rest your recovery would be twice as fast... Of course if you had any fresh wounds i could tend them right away and mitigate some of the damage, but that has to happen pretty quickly after... like minutes after...
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Ok, sounds good. When do you want to try that?" responds Shima. "So,do I take it correctly that you're hoping to remove the person from the.. place?" he added, making an oblique reference to the temple. "What sort of time frame did you have in mind?"
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Haahqae will circle back around to whichever of the back enterances looks more promising, wait for a patrol to pass by and sneak up to the wall of the building, 55 feet away from the door. (If the 2 back entrances are less then 110 feet apart, he'll go to the spot directly in between the entrances.

Once in position, Haahqae will cast detect magic as quietly as he can, pointed at said promising door, and focus the spell to determine if the door is enchanted (or cursed) in any way. He will then slowly rotate the detect magic in an arc, scanning the building for magic/magical defenses within his detection range to see everything he can find.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Haahqae (Outside Prefect's Mansion)
The two back entrances are only 50 feet away from each other, so Haahqae moves in between the two. However, he cannot climb the wall and cast a spell. He needs his hands free to cast, and if he lets go of the wall after climbing it, he'd fall.

Casting his spell, he scans both doors and the building in between. He detects no auras of magic whatsoever.

(OOC: Haahqae casts Detect Magic.)

Kendra heads upstairs to the west wing, where her husband's room is. She is allowed in by the guard there.

Norris looks equal parts surprised and relieved to see Kendra. "Kendra, I haven't seen you in nearly a month now!" he says. "I was worried you had forgotten about me in here," he says, trying to smile but not really pulling it off. He has lost a lot of weight since she has last seen him and clearly hasn't had a good shave or haircut any time recently.

Tulbas Erogund (Tower of Wayreth, Unknown Floor on AT 15)
Tulbas checks Magnus for a pulse and finds none. He then adds all of Magnus' former possessions to his pack, which weighs him down quite a bit. He spends the next half hour searching every other body on the floor. There are quite a few of them. He finds a good 60 pounds worth of items, including spellbooks, rings, broaches, pendants, wands, staves, bracers, and components.

"What do you intend to do with all of this?" asks Selowen sardonically. "Sell it on a black market?"

(OOC: Tulbas drops to light encumbrance.

Ancient History does not help with identifying magical items. Unless maybe if he found a legendary relic from that time period that he would obviously recognize; like someone specializing in ancient British myth recognizing Excalibur, for instance. Spellcraft is just used to identify spells being cast, although it can also be used to identify magical constructs--but not items. The cantrip for detecting magic is instant, but note it will only tell you if there is magic within 10 feet of you. It does not tell you where the magic is coming from, how strong it is, or what kind it is. Direction Sense can be used to figure out which way North is, and helps you avoid getting lost in the wilderness. I'm at a loss how either would be useful in getting you out of the tower faster.)

Gobax and Shima (Market Street)
(OOC: The northeast part of the map would be on the right, correct.)
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Kendra frowns upon seeing Norris' appearance. "I know, and I'm sorry," she says. "I've been busy, but I haven't forgotten about you."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"Busy with what, exactly?" asks Norris, taking a seat on the bed. "What is going on in the city? They don't give us any news of the outside world."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"I can really only tell you what I know," Kendra says as she sits down beside her husband. She goes into details about what has happened within the last month what with the fire elemental attacking and how she stopped it and became the hero of Haven. How there was another attack during her parade which was a set up to catch the guy that was causing all the trouble. She does skip over that Sadron is staying with her though.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Tulbas looks up to Selowen, "The rings, bracers and staves might help us to survive while trying to get out of here. The books... Well it is too precious knowledge to leave about. And it won't put us in danger more than we already in." His tone decreases toward the end of the sentence.
He then asks Selowen, "Do you want to wear any of the rings or bracers? They might be protective. Do you want to try and sort the magical one, or just take a chance picking some and move on?"

======================================================================
(OOC: If Selowen would want to sort the magical one he will ask her either to use detect magic or to leave magical items she poses away from her and to use cantrip for magic detection, he then will go 10 feet away from her and throw each item separately to her so she can feel if it is magical. I assume throwing several rings and bracers to her would take few minutes only.
If she doesn't cooperate he will still offer her ring and bracer to choose and a staff.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The goblin shrugs, I guess I can check the wounds whenevet you're ready.

Grubnick balks a little at the insinuation. Wait, what? What person? I... he shakes his head. I dunno about timeframe, but i think there's no point in waiting.

[I don't think Grubnick's going to admit to trying to free a prisoner from the opression any time soon.]
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Ok. If you want to check them right now, then that would be good," answers Shima. "And then I'll go look for someone and aim to meet you back in the High Hand in a couple of hours?"