Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

OOC Thread

A sandbox 2E game set in the home-brewed world of Amtar. On a group of tropical islands, a party of adventurers try and make their mark on the world.

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: OOC Thread

Post by JadedDM »

That's true; the party will level faster with only four people, as opposed to say, six or even eight.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Well, I didn't hear any objections to Vaneil, so I've started up the preliminary work on that island and the towns, villages, city and wilderness on it. I'm going to choose one town in particular as our starting point; it's a town called Narin on the west coast and it has a population of about 1,000. Not really big, but not too small, either. Whether it becomes your base of operations or just a stepping stone to something greater, we'll see.

Only now do I realize just how much work I have ahead of me! But...I am reasonably sure I can have everything ready to go by the time Breila returns from her real world quest. And that's June 9th, right? Hmm, yeah, especially with this insomnia I'm currently dealing with (it's 4 AM where I am typing this), I should be more than ready by then.

I'm pretty excited for it, though. I'm pretty happy with what little I've come up with so far.

My intention is to only work on what is absolutely needed first. Then, if I have more time (and I probably will), I'll keep fleshing out things further, including other islands and such. Although the great thing about play-by-posts is that I don't need to worry about being over-prepared. I can work on the game as we play.

Anyway, back to work!
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

What kits are available? Given the water based nature of this sandbox, I'd like to know my options.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Mariner (Fighter), Swashbuckler (Fighter or Thief), Seaguard (Paladin), Sea Ranger, Fathomer (Mage), Buccaneer (Thief)...

Well, those are the naval-based ones, anyway. There's also Berserker, Savage, Amazon, Witch Doctor, Shaman, and Islander if you want a more tribal character.

Although, really, I'll consider just about any kit. Some, obviously, aren't very well suited to the game. A Cavalier, for instance, would have a hard time unless we stuck to just one island only (and a relatively flat one, at that).

Really, if there's a kit you're interested in, just ask. Worst case scenario, I say no. :D
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

well, what books are they from?

Seems to me we need a fighter type.

here are rolls

6x3d6 stat rolls. (3d6=10, 3d6=14, 3d6=8, 3d6=10, 3d6=13, 3d6=10)

thinking Mariner, Savage or, my personal favorite, an Amazon.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I'll consider any kit from any of the following books:

The Complete Fighter's Handbook
The Complete Paladin's Handbook
The Complete Ranger's Handbook
The Complete Wizard's Handbook
The Complete Druid's Handbook
The Complete Thief's Handbook
The Complete Bard's Handbook
The Complete Book of Dwarves
The Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings
The Complete Book of Elves
The Complete Book of Humanoids
Of Ships and the Sea

Savage and Amazon are both in the Complete Fighter's Handbook.

Mariner is my own creation, an improvement of the Pirate kit from the same book. You can read the whole thing here.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

how about an Aquatic Elf, either as a beast rider, or Sea Ranger?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Sorry, Nuke, but there are no sub-races in my world, so there are no sea elves. Also, your stats aren't good enough for a ranger, sea or otherwise. You do qualify for a Beast Rider, though.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

well, without being able to be an Aquatic Elf, the beast rider thing goes out the window.

Does a Half-Orc Amazon fit into your world?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

You bet. We got amazons, we got half-orcs. Half-Orcs receive a +1 STR and CON, but a -2 CHA.
Nuke
Lord
Lord

Post by Nuke »

OK, here goes...

Name: Val Urgun
Female Half-Orc (Amazon Warrior)
STR 14, DEX 10, CON 15 (+1HP), INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 8
HP: 9/9
THACO: 20
WP: Specialize in Long Bow

hit points (1d10+1=9)

As a beginning....

Can I get a water based mount of some sort, instead of a land based one?

And go Trident instead of spear for my other WP?

and thoughts on armor...a breast plate of.....some marine creature's hide or shell, say a turtle?, or shark for some wearable armor in the water?
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Don't worry about HP. Every character starts with max HP at first level, so she'll start with 11 HP automatically.
Nuke wrote:Can I get a water based mount of some sort, instead of a land based one?
Yeah, I would be willing to let you take Sea-based Riding instead of Land-based Riding. You'll need to specify which sea creature you want as your mount, though, and it will cost you 2 NWP slots instead of 1.
Nuke wrote:And go Trident instead of spear for my other WP?
Yeah, I'll allow that.
Nuke wrote:and thoughts on armor...a breast plate of.....some marine creature's hide or shell, say a turtle?, or shark for some wearable armor in the water?
There is shark leather armor available. It works just like regular leather, but is waterproof. There's also shark hide if you want something tougher.

As for a turtleshell breast plate...I think a turtle would be too small to offer much protection. But we could probably find something that could work.

Anyway, your character starts with 4 WP slots, 4 NWP slots, and 1 language slot. Starting money is 5d4x10 gp.

Oh, and one more thing...I was looking at the Amazon kit, and it says she gets a +3 to hit and damage against any man under 5th level who isn't expecting her to be a good fighter, and only on the very first attack. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary stuff to keep up with. So to simplify, how about we say she just gets a permanent +1 to hit and damage against any male, regardless? Much easier to keep track of in terms of bookkeeping.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

So we do have an all-female party, after all :) .
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

It would seem so, yep. And one of them is a misandrist! :lol:
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Woo hoo my second all female group! Looks like i shall be sans internet on Thursday and Friday. (Apart from phone.) so i will get her made then.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi