Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Day Five (Turned Tables)

A solo adventure in which Echo Soulstaff searches for the man she believes is her father.

Moderator: JadedDM

HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Day Five

Post by HorizonsDream »

"During the day, I have a much better aim. At night, I'm not all that great," Tavi says with a sigh. "I can't see in the dark like you can, so I'm at a disadvantage there. Are you saying that if I aim for the hand, I can disarm someone?" Tavi asks curiously. "That is a tiny area to aim for."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"It is," he says. "So I suppose you should not make the attempt unless it is daylight. Here, I shall show you how." They spend about half an hour working on it, before Tavi feels comfortable enough in her skill.

==============

(OOC: Disarming with a crossbow works identical to the normal way.)
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Are there any other tricks to using ranged weapons like this?" Tavi asks once they are done with the disarming technique. "I know I tend to see better when I'm on higher ground, like when we were fighting those goblins last night. Despite it being dark, I had a better time seeing them than say Barlemus did."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"There are many techniques among my people, as we are well-known for our archery skills," Arvin says. "However, those are elven secrets." He pauses. "There is one thing I could show you. It's called stapling. It's when you pin an opponent to the ground, wall, or other object by firing at their clothes, usually a sleeve, but anything will do. It's quite difficult, but can be useful when you need to buy some time."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Once again, that deals with a very tiny area when it comes to aiming," Tavi points out. "But it sound simple enough. Is it basically just like disarming someone, but instead of aiming for their hand, you are aiming for their clothes?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"The process is similar," Arvin says. He begins to explain and show Tavi how to perform this maneuver over the next half hour.

===================

Tavi learns how to staple. By making a called shot (-4 to hit), she can attempt to pin someone by their clothes (shirt, pants, dress, cloak). It takes one round for a victim to free him or herself, but during that time, the victim suffers a -2 penalty to AC and attacks. If the victim is being attacked while stapled, it takes three rounds to get free.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi blows a few strands of hair out of her face once she was done learning the new technique. One thing was for sure, she assumed this would be just as easy as it was for her when it came to the sword. Sadly enough, it didn't work out that way. She still learned something though, so that was something. Turning suddenly to face the elf, Tavi gives him a quick peck on his cheek. "Thanks, Arvin. Maybe I'll be of better use out there tonight than I was last night."
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Arvin blinks at the intimate gesture, and although it's difficult to tell, it even looks like his face pinkens ever so slightly. Although it could also be a trick of the sunlight.

"Yes, well...that's enough lessons for now. We should prepare for tonight. We still have many hours before nightfall. And you should probably rest a little more before then, for the sake of your injuries."

====================

Tavi earns a +1 reaction to Arvin.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi gives the elf a nod, and turns away from him to walk back to the main part of the camp. After all of that training, as she was calling it in her head, she needed to eat something. "I guess the plans are about the same as they were last night when it comes to attacking the goblins?" Tavi asks as she sits down to eat her rations.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Arvin sits with her, and Barlemus walks up at that point, too. Petal stays in the background, out of the way, by her tree.

"They'll be tougher," Barlemus says, sitting down with them. "For one thing, they'll probably double the size of patrols. We're also less likely to catch 'em with their pants down. They'll be more alert, on the lookout for danger."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Then how do we prepare for a group that is twice the size they were last night?" Tavi asks curiously. "There really isn't a way to separate them into two small groups is there?"
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"There might be," Arvin says. "If we cause a distraction, it may lure a smaller part of the group away, as they go to investigate. It will all really depend on the situation we find ourselves in, of course."

"Ut, yeah. Gobbos aren't that smart. Even if they're on alert, we should be able to trick 'em," Barlemus agrees.
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

"Okay, so what do we have that will help distract them?" Tavi asks, looking between the two guys. If they planned out the distractions now, then it might help them later on. At least, that was how Tavi was thinking.
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"We could start a fire!" Barlemus suggests.

"Absolutely not. You will not burn down the entire forest just to distract the goblins," Arvin retorts.

"Nah, I mean a campfire. We build a campfire, but hide a bit away from it. The gobbos will see the light, come to investigate, wondering who's camping. Then we ambush 'em."

"Hmm," Arvin says. "That actually might work."
HorizonsDream
Duke
Duke

Post by HorizonsDream »

Tavi smiles lightly as she watches Barlemus and Arvin actually work together on something. "That means pinpointing where they are first, and making sure that the camp fire is in the line of sight," Tavi says. "With Arvin tracking, that shouldn't be too hard. Though, we should come up with something else just in case this doesn't work."