Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread IV

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread IV

Post by JadedDM »

Well, I was waiting for Haahque to chime in, but he hasn't logged in for 10 days now, so I'm not sure what to think about that.

I'll work on the last chapter this weekend then, and probably get it up on Monday.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Yeah, I still read stuff; just at some point my cache got cleared so I was browsing as a guest user. Anyways...

Sorry about the slow posting and all. I've sort of... had a bit of trouble getting into Haahqae's character recently and seeing how he would react to the current situation. This is probably mostly due to a lack of sleep on my part.

I'm not entirely sure what to say about the next chapter.
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Is there somewhere Haahqae can privately memorize his spells without giving away information he's been so careful to keep hidden his whole life? Like, perhaps a bathroom?

If there is; he'll memorize everything he had previously; and fill in the new slots with audible glamor and summon swarm.
If there isn't; he'll skip out on (new) spells today. He's still got a fair number of unused spells from yesterday.

He'll also distribute the weapons and armor he looted in the previous battle to any resistance members going on the mission. Any (new) weapons/armor not distributed he'll leave behind.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

It's just a small room, there are no other areas around it, aside from the corridor outside.

But then, it's a sewer. So I guess technically speaking, every room is a bathroom.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Haahqae will have to go without re-memorizing spells in that case.
Veni Vidi Vici
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

BishGada wrote:'This gnome has more tricks in his sleeves then a circus trickster.'
Just wanted to call this one out as an unfair comparison.
Haahqae IS a circus trickster.
Veni Vidi Vici
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

:)
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Oops; you did what I said I did instead of what I meant to do. Is it too late to switch to the North-WEST corner instead of the north east?
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I've edited the map so he's in the northwest alcove now.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

I'm trying to parse why Haahqae didn't get backstab damage multiplier on the attack. Reading the PHB I have:

Behind the victim -> Yep, got the behind the victim bonus to hit so presumably it's not this.
Not aware of the thief -> Haahqae was invisible and very quiet;the kapak shouldn't have suspected he was there.
Applies to only the first attack -> That was his first attack.
Victim must be generally humanoid -> I was under the impression that they were.
Must be able to reach a significant target area -> Easily done with his sling.

So as a level 5 thief, I am unsure of why the attack didn't do x3 damage. I am aware that I'm used to more modern versions of D&D where sneak attack is much more lenient (usually be within 30ft and have flanking or a distraction). So I'm wondering what I had overlooked for future reference.
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I've never heard of a backstab attack being made with a projectile weapon before.

I just went through the PHB to be sure. While it doesn't specifically say a backstab must be a melee attack, the phrasing used heavily implies it.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Ah ok. In the versions I've played recenly ranged attacks are very much allowed for sneak attacks (which are similar) so I thought that it would be allowed (as I didn't find a rule that stated it wasn't).

Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4ZeTAfYoY4

But I guess this means Haahqae should eventually start carrying a melee weapon (as backstabbing unarmed would be supremely useless; I'd do less damage on my super-backstab attack then I'd average with my bow). Were the weapons the kapaks wielding also dissolved or are they still usable?
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

According to their MM entry:
All items possessed by the dissolved Kapak, including treasure and magical items, are rendered useless by the acid.
So I'd say the long swords are either destroyed or so damaged as to be useless.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Post by Haahque »

Taking a look at my character sheet I noticed that I'm still carrying weapons/armor from the previous fight.

I had thought that I had distributed that amongst the resistance during our previous rest.

But if I still have that suit of leather armor; can I drench it in acid and toss it at a baaz as they're running up the stairs?
Veni Vidi Vici
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Nobody in the Resistance claimed those weapons (as I said, they already have their own weapons and armor), so Haahqae is still holding them.

You can dip the armor in the acid and throw it, but you'll take a to hit penalty for using an improvised weapon. I believe it's a -3. You'll also need to pass a DEX check to make sure you don't get any acid on you in the process.