Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 2 - Getting to the bottom of it?

A 5e D&D campaign starting at 1st level in and around the city of Waterdeep in the Forgotten Realms.

Waterdeep: City of Splendours, seat of many thousand plots. Are they opportunities for success, or for an untimely demise?
Will the adventurers sit safely in their comfort zones? Or will they risk their all to carve out a slice of Realms history with their names on it? Puppet or puppeteer?

Moderator: Chris1234

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 2 - Getting to the bottom of it?

Post by TristenC »

[quick retcon now that level-up is done]
Nix murmurs a quiet invocation just before entering the tavern
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Alecia enters last with her arm wrapped around Nix, her hand unconciously going for the small knife resting on her belt, if the table chosen by Sue appears acceptable she waits for Nix to 'assist her' then takes a seat.

"It doesnt look like much." her comment is spoken softly, just about enough to get Nix to hear her.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Nix pulls the chair out for his companion and sits beside her. That 'well' could lead to anything... there is no telling what is down there...
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Agreed, keep your wits about you." She glances around, "I'm not sure who can be trusted." She adds in a low tone.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Squirrellord
Lord
Lord

Post by Squirrellord »

Jim sits at the table Sue selects, takes a good long look around the room and settles back into a comfortable position to wait.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Once the waitress shows up Sue will order an ale and a shot like the one he had the other night with Daisy, he will also offer a round of the shot to the table.

"So. Is the portal busy tonight?" He will ask the server.

He will then look around to see if the one who tried to antagonize him is present.
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

Evenwood, takes a seat at the table besides Sue. He is still worry of his new companions. He takes a look around the room to see if he notices any out of place figures or someone specifically looking in the direction of our table direction.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

The group seat themselves round a vacant table, pulling up another stool to do so. A barlady approaches, perhaps 20 perhaps not, but definitely a pleasant smile. Glancing round the newcomers she offers, “Greetings Goodmen and Dam! How may I serve you?” Her eyes alight on Sue, “And yes, I'm still Luranla. And you’re still Jayne, yes?” She smiles a more energetic smile just at Sue as she leans over in front of him to polish the table.

On hearing Sue’s order for an ale and round of shots she says, “Six shards, nine nebs. And, ’Is the Portal busy?’ Yes, fairly. You can see, can you not?” She gestures with her free hand at the other patrons of the Yawning Portal and then heads off to the bar.

The tavern is indeed fairly busy, apart from the ‘boisterous table’ another 13 patrons can be seen: some eight merchants, comprising a group of 4, group of 3 and one snoring with a tankard resting on his stomach, a pair of plainly dressed men sat at the bar, two adventurers sat overlooking the well and a single figure in the corner. The latter catches Evenwood’s eye and smiles as they regard each other.

Sue does not recognize anyone that has antagonised him.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Sorry, I meant down the well. Any active betters tonight?"

Sue gives a gp and waves off any change.
If anyone does not appear interested in their shot Sue will grab it and drink it

========
Did we ever subtract my gold totals?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Nix holds his shot and waits to down it when thee others do. To luck, may she favor us once more.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

“No thank you.” Alecia waves the shot away, “Such drink does not agree with me.”

“Lady Luck is with us always.” She adds, grasping her holy symbol tightly.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"It's early yet, Jayne," replies Luranla to Sue. "Barely three bells." She puts the drinks tray down while accepting payment for the same.
"Those four are just desperate for the diversion." Her eyes flick across to the boisterous table, four well dressed dandies, probably third or fourth sons or daughters of minor noble houses. "Wager on anything." She taps her coin pouch. "Call themselves the Deep Delvers. To be fair, they did rescue one of their own from below." She moves off to see to a table of merchants.

After the usual inspection of anyone entering a tavern none of the patrons appear to be paying much attention to the Transitory Band of Wayward Acquaintances. The pair of adventurers who are currently peering down the well. Jim notes that their weapons are free of peace knots and presumably the pair are registered.

Everwood sees the two plainly dressed men leaning at the bar have similar well-worn leather bags slung across their shoulders. These look moderately heavy but the pair don't seem to notice. His attention returns to the single figure in the corner wearing lightweight blue robes. As the fair haired man, maybe late 30s, shifts in his seat Everwood's sharp eyes spot chainmail beneath the robes and an amulet on his chest. It is similar to that being clutched by Alecia. The man's intermittent but apparently casual attention appears to be on Nix. Or possibly Alecia.

======
To keep things moving I made some Perception skill checks on behalf of the party; nothing crucial, just detail. Any objections, shout out. :)

@Noct - I let the players do their own housekeeping. i.e. No, I have not deducted the gp Sue just spent nor expenditure on previous occasions. Over to you. :)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

If we're going odo this, let's be about it. How do we start, Jayne? He asks sue
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Sue snorts, "If she gets my name wrong, she can't tell anyone I was here..."

Once the first round is gone he will signal to the server.
"So... how do we go about taking the plunge?"

Once the group finds out any information, he will go see what the "nobles" are betting on, and see if he can come up with a wager for them.
Hamlett
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Hamlett »

"Why called this place 'Yawning Port-al?' Hole cannot sleep," the Sylvan peers down into the hole, a twitch of distaste marking his face.