Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Meeting the smugglers

Desolate and abandoned, the evil alchemist’s mansion stands alone on the cliff, looking out towards the sea. Mysterious lights and ghostly hauntings have kept away the people of Saltmarsh, despite rumours of a fabulous forgotten treasure. What is its sinister secret?

Moderator: Breila

Forum rules
AD&D 2nd Edition.
PHB and Complete Books are Acceptable.
Mages Can use the Spell compendium.

4d6, drop lowest arrange to taste.
One +1 Weapon/Armor, 1 Misc Item.

Daily posts are preferred, if you are gone for over a week with no explanation your PC will be NPC'ed :)
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Meeting the smugglers

Post by Jenara »

"I'm ready, I just have a concern over..." She waves her hand towards Drake. "Why I suggested Searos should go too."

"We can talk to the Gnolls, at least a little." Hugging him close she whispers. "If this works we will be heroes, and we can spend some time alone." She grins.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

There is just one thing that has to be changed about the PLAN, due to geography, but I'll take that for granted: since there is no place onshore where the larger group could wait for the signal exchange between the incoming ship and the old mansion, and man the boat to meet the ship in an appropriate length of time, the larger group will have to board the boat around sunset and anchor at the foot of a cliff with a good view of the mansion. To pass the time, they will take along a good dinner, including some raw meat for the gnolls.

After some thought, Geraldine has agreed to come along, also to quell the uneasiness of the two sailors, Yann and Uwe, who feel considerably more confident with their lieutenant on board.

So Brax, Gunter, Vee, Kim and Geraldine, the two gnolls Krtk and Khchk, and Yann and Uwe are anchored in the bay, watinig for the ship and/or the signal and fire from the mansion.

Martin, Reller and Searos are in the mansion, up on the first floor at the window where the group found the signaling equipment.

Everybody has to wait for a long, long time... those who know to gauge the passing of time by the stars know it is well past midnight when the group in the boat gets the feeling that there might be something between them and the old mansion. It had happened before - after all, nerves are tense - but this time, it feels more real.

The three men in the mansion suddenly see a light being flashed at them, one long and three short flashes.

(OOC: Spellcasters, please tell me which spells you have prepared)
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Martin gazes at the signal light from offshore, his mind racing. Then he smiles and says, quietly: "Change of plans, gentlemen. We don't need to break the lantern just yet."

One long, three short flashes from the ship. The captured paper says "I -xxx". Dash for a long flash, x for a short one.
Next line is "II x-x- 2". That'll be the countersign.

Martin opens the lantern hood to flash a signal back. Short, brief pause, long, brief pause, short, brief pause, long, pause, short, brief pause, long, brief pause, short, brief pause, long.
If all goes well, there will be a confirmation from the ship - three long flashes.

If the expected confirmation does not come, he'll go ahead and break the lantern.

If it does, he will say to his associates: "Showtime, kids. Reller, anybody asks, your name is, ummmm, 'Lockheart, Lucky Lockheart.' That'll do nicely. Searos, they've met you already, so you need to use your own name. Call me Plissken, Drake Plissken.

Walking down to the rowboat, Martin gives what he considers to be a pep talk: "We're walking into the dragon's mouth, boys, so stay sharp. Keep your wits about you and your blood cool. Remember: fortune favors the lucky. Pain is temporary, glory lasts forever, and chicks dig scars.
"And if you hear the word 'wombat' you'll know it is time for violence to ensue."

========================
Spells:
Color Spray
Sleep
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

For some moments after Martin sends the signal, there is no response. Longer than one would expect, the ship stays dark. Then indeed the three long flashes are sent.

The larger group on the boat can see that there is a series of long and short flashes from the mansion, but no fire from a dropped lantern as had been discussed.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Brax sits at the bow of the small boat, cuddled up next to Gunter.

"And this is why I don't trust that ... Jester." She says softly, hand on her symbol. "Regardless, we wait, I will see them board the ship, and we will hear them."

------
Spells:
(1) Cure Light Wounds x2, Bless, Protection from Evil.
(2) Cure Moderate Wounds, Hold Person.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

"That was kind of a long pause before they responded. That could be good, or it could be very very bad. Until we know for sure, we should keep our distance, though, but not look like we are trying to keep our distance. You know, row casual." Martin inventories his weapons one more time. Rapier, check. Dagger, check. Throwing knives, check. Plush mallard, check. Scourge, check. Pop-up silk bouquet, check. spell components in the shirt cuff, crystals in the belt pouch. Bells - tug - bells loosened. It's game time.
Gods, I hope there will be time for repartee during the fight. I love repartee.
Robbo
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Robbo »

"Patience, Brax," Gunter says while trying to keep his voice down, "I don't completely trust him either but it's the best plan we have. We just have to see it through now."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Do you trust Searos? You know him better than me.." she asks, hand on his leg.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

So do the two boats set out to meet the incoming ship, the small one from the cave, openly and with some noise, the larger one from its mooring, sneaking up quietly from behind?
Robbo
Artisan
Artisan

Post by Robbo »

"I think he is as trustworthy as a man of his...type...can be. I do think if the situation goes bad he won't abandon us though, which I guess is all you can ask."
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Breila wrote:So do the two boats set out to meet the incoming ship, the small one from the cave, openly and with some noise, the larger one from its mooring, sneaking up quietly from behind?
Oh, most definitely for the small boat, although they'll be making way slowly, so as to give the other boat time to get into position and to approach from the seaward side. Martin can stretch a conversation out and occupy someone's attention for quite a long time, but the less time he has to do so in this case, the better, because every minute on the ship is an opportunity for something to go wrong.

I suppose Martin, Searos and Reller can take turns rowing on the way out. Martin will sing the whole way out (something raucous and nautical, like Spanish Ladies or some such), and once they get close to the smugglers' vessel, they will unhood their lamp completely, as I mentioned earlier - ostensibly to reveal themselves to those on the ship, but really to give the smugglers something bright, shiny, and interesting to look at, and maybe to impair the smugglers' night vision in the process.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"I hope you are right." She responds, holding the boat in position as she watches the smaller boat sail out. "When they engage the Smugglers, we start to move. I will guide us in the darkness, no lights, and be as silent as you can."

(Yes we will wait until the smaller boat has docked)

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Kafen
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by Kafen »

Reller helps with the oars and lines as much as possible while not rowing. He suggests. If you can guide, we can both row."
The lack of the defiler in SC2 makes my pants sad. ~ Anon Internet Guy
The_Muffin_Man
Merchant
Merchant

Post by The_Muffin_Man »

Searos gives Patches a sidelong look at the mention of names and rolls his eyes mightily. "Lets just get this over with. They're bound to be some gold on that ship."

Meanwhile, in his mind, Searos is already planning his escape route and cursing himself for never having learned how to swim. If he knew he could just abandon everyone.
Do YOU know the muffin man?
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

" 'There are silver ships, there are gold ships, but there's no ship like friendship.' " Martin quotes, his voice treacle-sweet. Then he says, quietly: "Gold on the ship? I must teach you to think bigger, my friend. Much, much bigger," before going back to singing.