Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

CH 2: Lost City of the Ancients

The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Moderator: JadedDM

Forum rules
The original Dragonlance modules (DL1-DL14), updated to 2E.

Placed on Hiatus....
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: CH 2: Lost City of the Ancients

Post by Jenara »

Crossing the bridge slowly (Dex Check: 1d20=8, pass) Laurana looks in awe at the Tower, who would have thought such a thing belonged in the jungle?

She advances slowly, keeping her head down, hoping Tas was doing the same.

(Can she see the cages and the Dragon, or just the tower?)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"A dragon!" Goldmoon whispers. She can't take her eyes away from the creature, watching its every move.
There's more to me than meets the eye...
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Laurana and Tas easily cross the vine bridge, and continue forward. The land splits into two paths, with swamp water in between them.

Meanwhile, Goldmoon stares at the dragon's 'every move.' But after a moment, she realizes it's not moving at all. In fact, it holds perfectly still. One might image its wings would get tired, staying up like that all of the time.

====================

(OOC: Laurana cannot see the dragon or ruins, just the tower and that's only because it's so tall.)

Laurana makes a DEX check to cross the vine bridge (8 - pass).
Tasslehoff makes a DEX check to cross the vine bridge (1d20): 9, pass.
Attachments
Red dot - Goldmoon's group<br />Blue dot - Laurana's group
Red dot - Goldmoon's group
Blue dot - Laurana's group
Xak Tsaroth swamp 06.png (414.66 KiB) Viewed 6014 times
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Goldmoon shakes her head. She had been mesmerized for a moment, but now she believes the dragon is either a sculpture or - dead and stuffed. She looks around the camp and sees the cage with Tanis and Flint. Grateful to at least know where they are, she lets out a deep breath. Then she takes the staff into both hands, leans against it an prays to the Goddess for guidance.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Relucantly keeping back, Sturm's heart sings when he sees Tanis and Flint, at the sight of the Dragon his head is filled with dreams of Huma, fighting a dragon, he too watches it closely, realising it is not moving.

"The creature appears to be enchanted, or we are seeing a construct." Sturm mutters to Caramon, sword still drawn he looks to the group. "Does anyone have a plan?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Laurana leans over, looking Tas in the eye she checks her pockets, "Do you want to go to the Tower? If you were to capture someone that would be where you'd put them right?" She stamps her feet quietly, the swamp was so icky, why would someone even live there?
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"We are outnumbered," Riverwind whispers. "Even if that dragon is fake. Unless you can find a way to even the odds, I'm not sure it's worth the risk," the ranger points out.

Meanwhile, Tas' eyes widen with glee at Laurana's question. "Oh, yes! That sounds like a great deal of fun! Exploring an ancient tower that probably dates back to the Cataclysm! Goodness, there's no telling what we might find in there!"
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"But even if we can bypass them, where do we need to go?" Goldmoon asks. "Is this Xak Tsaroth?"
mltillis
Marshall
Marshall

Post by mltillis »

"Best to get Tas and try to slip in under darkness to rescue them.... We can't help them for now. Nor can we stay here for long without being noticed. I say we find Tasselhoff and Lauranna, then look about a bit." Caramon says. "Maybe we can find something that will help with Tanis and Flint."
"It's quite a place. A place of good times and bad, of pain and growth, but in the end a place of great hope. - But if you ever do come aboard, remember one thing: No one there is exactly what he seems. But then, who is?"- G'Kar
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Very well, I suppose we should." Tas can tell she is shaking, her whole body trembles as she takes a step closer to the tower, her pretty elven face goes dark.

"Come on then, I guess we should go." Offering Tas her hand she walks on.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

"I am not sure," Riverwind says in response to Goldmoon's question. "It does not look very big for an ancient city." He then glances at Caramon when he speaks. "We must be in Xak Tsaroth by midnight tonight."

Meanwhile, Laurana and Tas head toward the tower. The tower itself is bathed in sunlight, but the area surrounding it is dim thanks to the canopy above. "Watch your step," Tas warns as the two attempt to cross the water to reach the tower. The water can be deceptively deep if one is not careful.

As they slowly but surely make their way across the water, a cold chill runs down Laurana's spine suddenly, despite the fact it's fairly warm and daylight. A black mist begins to form around them in the swamp water, flowing and then coalescing into shapes behind them. The mist forms into eight black, vaguely man-shaped clouds with no true substance but red glowing eyes.

As the creatures stare at Laurana, she can almost swear she can hear their black speech inside her head. They are whispering to her mind, full of hatred and rage. Dimly, she realizes accursed souls were once the denizens of Xak Tsaroth that were condemned to eternal unrest when the city fell.

"Why, hullo!" Tas greets when he notices Laurana looking behind them, and then turns his gaze to see what she is looking at. "I'm Tasslehoff Burrfoot, and this is Laurana. How do you do?"

The black creatures do not answer. Instead, they begin slowly advancing toward the two.

Although outnumbered, Laurana and Tas can attempt to fight or parley, or make a break for the tower.

=====================

(OOC: Whew, random encounter tables aren't pulling any punches today!)
Attachments
Wraith.jpg
Wraith.jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 5998 times
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

(Ooc: Wraiths! OMG, she stands no chance at all!!)

Laurana takes a glance at the creatures, trembling in fear, they looked as if they would eat her soul from the inside. "Tas, with me now!" she orders grabbing the Kender by the arm, running as fast as she can across the swamp.

(ooc: yes she might stand a better chance to talk to them, but she is a scared little girl)

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"So, you think we should sneak around them somehow to get further into the city? Lead the way, then." Goldmoon says to Riverwind, grasping her staff and ready to move.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"I am not happy with the idea of 'sneaking' around." Sturm says with a glance to Caramon.
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"But we can't afford to lose time!" Goldmoon insists.