Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

WotL OOC Thread III

This 2E Dragonlance game is set in the city of Haven, during the War of the Lance. Haven is a city undergoing great upheaval. First massive numbers of refugees pour in, then the city is conquered by a draconic army. Can our heroes survive under this dark occupation?

Moderator: JadedDM

JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: WotL OOC Thread III

Post by JadedDM »

chese780 wrote:What's the spider's THAC0?
Assuming you're referring to the one that bit Felran, it has a THAC0 of 17.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

If it has a 17, wouldn't that take it to 11 and then the -1 to hit?

Derp, I must apply the -1 to the TN rather than the actual roll. I is pleb.
Characters:
Drav - Lost Souls: Octhania
Elf - Fighter/Thief - Smith
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Felran - War of teh Lance
Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
Grey Elf - Wu-jen Elementalist (Fire)
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Yeah, it rolled a 12 but that dropped to 11 due to using a piercing weapon (bite) against studded leather. But 11 was the TN needed (17-6 = 11), so it was still a hit, but just barely so.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

Still, shame I forgot the only thing that could have saved me.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I didn't realize you forgot it, I just assumed you weren't willing to give up your secret in front of Shima.

In any case...what do you want to do now? The odds of getting raised are slim. You could roll up a new character, but I know you've been busy with school and such, so maybe you want to put that off for awhile?
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

I think I'll sit this one out for now, considering surgery is this Friday. Maybe one day I'll get saved by the boys.

Figuring the fact that we're only around level 4, and level 6 is required to use combine (easiest way to get close to resurrection), I've got about four months before it becomes feasible, unless Ne-Chanz wants to go strike deals with the army.

If only I could strike a deal with one of the gods in the afterlife.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

Yeah, since he's not a true elf, he can be raised. But Raise Dead requires a level 9 cleric and the only one in the city is the high priestess of Takhisis.

A deal with the gods is possible, but the odds are low. I'm not sure Felran ever expressed a belief in any of them. I know he doesn't qualify to become a Blue Phoenix of Habbakuk, which was something I used in my last Dragonlance game.
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

What about creatively convincing the god of creativity.

Let me get this straight. For me to be resurrected in the first place, I probably need to not be turned into spider food, correct?
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

If it's a Raise Dead spell, the body needs to be whole. Any parts missing will still be missing upon revival (e.g., if your arm is cut off, you'll come back to life with only one arm).

If it's a Resurrection spell, you don't need the whole body and if pieces are missing, they'll be restored. Even a small bit will work, even a finger bone. But it hints that the less material you have to work with, the less chance the spell will work.

Reincarnation is tricky. It doesn't say anything outright about what is needed. It specifies the corpse must be touched, which suggests there must be some kind of remains.
Haahque
Knight
Knight

Re: CH. 12: Testing Grounds

Post by Haahque »

Well I can definitely understand the attachment to a character, previous brushes with death have let me come to terms with Haahqae's mortality, and I realize it is very unlikely to ever be raised if Haahqae should die when considering how fragmented and low level the party is. Instead, if/when Haahqae dies I plan to write a nice conclusion to bring his saga to a close (or is it a close?) and view it as an opportunity to try out a new character!

If you want, I can slip you a couple ideas for rolling up a new character, but I'm sure you'll have plenty of your own.
Veni Vidi Vici
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

I was just going to see what was going to happen. I have no intention of creating an entirely new character, due to my time, but I think it would be hilarious if I was reincarnated as a fire salamander for our cleric bud. :P

*flicks tongue*

Wait, but doesn't 2e reincarnation make you just into the physical description of whatever it is, because I've heard stories of a duck into dwarf, with all the intelligence and strength... of a duck. Imagine a warrior turning into a lizard...

Still a joke, unless you actually would do this, in which case it would be -hilarious- for me.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

And I will love him and pet him amd name him 'george'
djhyland
Guildmaster
Guildmaster

Post by djhyland »

I don't like having my characters die, but it's always nice to start with a new character. Invariably, I get a good idea or two after starting a character, or choose between a couple of cool concepts in the first place. And with 2e, it's not a task and a half to make them up mechanically.

If (Paladine forbid) Arulia dies, I'll be convinced that it's because good characters don't live long in Haven these days, and I'll try playing the black-hearted villain I have in mind to test the theory. (Unless you don't allow evil characters, JadedDM...)
chese780
Magistrate
Magistrate

Post by chese780 »

When I say I won't be creating a new character, it isn't because I want to keep the one I have. It's the fact that I do not have the time to create a new character right now.

I get the feeling you are all thinking I am salty about his death, and are trying to convince me to give a new character a chance. :P

I've got plenty of ideas for later characters, and Felran was only a prototype for another character I am messing with. Coming soon to another game near you... maybe.
Characters:
The Dragon
The Phoenix
The Eagle

Phaethon - Fighter

Unnamed - Ravenloft
JadedDM
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by JadedDM »

I don't think you can reincarnate into an extraplanar creature. But if you are reincarnated, you get to keep your memories but your stats and even your class might be different (and you usually lose some levels in the process). So a duck could be reincarnated into a dwarf, which I imagine would be fairly traumatizing as it would remember life as a duck, but would suddenly be able to speak and think as a sapient being. (Although why would anyone waste a Reincarnation spell on a duck?) The other example, a fighter becoming a lizard, would also be possible. It could, theoretically, even earn XP and continue to gain levels as a fighter, but obviously it wouldn't be able to wear armor or wield weapons.

I do allow evil characters, yes. Morality is a big theme of this game. The more willing you are to step on people, the farther you'll get. So neutral characters like Haahqae and Kendra can manage, and good characters like Arulia constantly struggle. I imagine evil characters would probably thrive, as they wouldn't care about working for the army or the church or hurting innocents to get what they want.

Anyway, don't fret about the new character, chese. You have plenty of time to work on it, once you are ready and have more free time to juggle all these games again. There are already eight players in this game, so having one less temporarily isn't going to be a big deal. So take your time, it's all good.