Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Chapter 3: a Wolf in the Fold

"A mighty gem of azure hue, shall cause the dead to pay their due.
So place silver 'pon their eyes, lest the dead, again shall rise."

-Children's Nursery Rhyme, Year 83, Age of Darkness

Moderator: Ismaels-Legacy

Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Chapter 3: a Wolf in the Fold

Post by Breila »

"Carith!" the concern for the other woman can be clearly heard in Hedra's voice. She attempts to take Carith into her arms, a difficult task given their difference in size, and not really comfortable in chain mail, but nevertheless...
There's more to me than meets the eye...
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Wolf looks at Carson with a somewhat blank expression, his thoughts focused on the hunger he is feeling. He blinks a few times and focuses before he answers. "The girl I found alone in a village, she was the only survivor." he explains. "As to the man... I can not rightly say. He was wandering when I found him, he was somewhat injured, as to how I can not say."

He stops and grimaces as his stomach gives a rather strong rumble of hunger. "Why would you believe they are the source of the problem?"
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Carith says nothing, she just shakes, her nails digging into her own skin. She does however return the hug.

There is no recollection in her eyes as to who she is hugging.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Hedra is grateful for a reaction from Carith, but still concerned that she doesn't seem to be completely "here" yet. She takes Carith's hands to prevent her from hurting herself (not that nail scratches would matter much), squeezing them from time to time and waiting for Carith's mind to clear, hopefully.
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

"It's not so much that I suspect them, but I can't rightly vouch for their trustworthiness." Carson says carefully. "You're proven your worth after risking your life last night. Speaking of which, being the only magic user in the camp, I'd prefer it if you didn't exhaust yourself like that. You're far to beneficial to be a one-trick-horse."

-------------------------------------

As Carith recovers from her shock, Hedra notices something peculiar about her. Amidst her myriad of tattoos, there seems to be a new one. One that has been emblazoned directly on her forehead.

"as long as you don't talk about one anchor fellating someone."-TSD
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

[OOC] Problem with PBMB is that if you take a day off, you sometimes can fall waaay behind. Sorry for the minor time warp...[/OOC]
Ismaels-Legacy wrote:While Hedra and Callan have their debate Dorir examines the cloth. Without raising his eyes, he absentmindedly says "When you die, who will remember your name? Many here do not have family and when they die it is as if they never existed."
"Could be that someday soon there'll be no one left to remember anyone's name. Meanwhile, we live another day and hold back the tide for a while longer," Callan says, quietly.
[OOC] We now return to the regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.. :) [/OOC]

===============================================
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Wolf gives a nod in reply. "I didn't mean to strain myself as much as I did." he admits. "But the tree creature represented a significant threat to us."

He turns to leave and pauses. "I will look after the girl, she is my ward and I will vouch for her." he pauses and adds. "For now."
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

'Around her the mists that clouded her brain parted slowly, the Spear drove deep into her tummy, she knew, that was the day her love died, the day her faith died....'

Coughing, her eyes focused on the world around her, the figure hugging her felt warm, safe, it was the dwarf... I any other situation she would have welcomed it..

"My axe, where the hell is my axe!?" she shouts her body snapping into life, her tongue falls short. 'You are unfit...' The words echoed in her mind..

"What happened? Did you 'save' me?" She laughs loudly, "My Soul is already lost, HE told me..." She says nothing else and rises to her feet.

(What clothes does she actually have left? Tell me she has her boots at least?)
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

"No Carith, I did not save you. I prayed for your survival, yes, but a power much greater than me answered my call.

You have been marked, Carith. There is a new tatoo on your forehead. It looks somehow like a head with antlers."

If Carith doesn't shy away from her hand, she'll retrace it with a finger.

"Your boots were not harmed, that I know. Dorir has recovered my hammer, I'm sure your axe can be found, too. Stay here, rest, let me find some clothes for you, and the axe."

Hedra tries to sound calm and reassuring. She turns to leave the wagon, then looks back at Carith. "I am very happy you are with us again." She goes out to tell Dorir and Carson Carith has come round, and ask if they know where Carith's weapon and boots are, and where clothing might be found.
Ismaels-Legacy
Marshall
Marshall

Post by Ismaels-Legacy »

The day progresses and Carith is informed that her clothes were destroyed beyond repair and the parts that could be salvaged were being utilized as bandages. Carson tells her that the plan was to have makeshift clothing fashioned for her from the blanket that she is currently using since there are no women of her stature and the men who are so have much broader proportions. (Assuming that there were any who had spare clothing, which there were not) For now, while the march is still continuing, Carith is wearing the blanket poncho-style, with a hole cut out of the center for her head, and the waist belted with a cord of rough rope. Oddly enough, this attire is gaining her a lot of admiration and attention, especially from the younger guardsmen.

-------------------------------------

Kara has been playing with the few children in the group, but seems to have garnered a special relationship with the Quartermaster's assistant, Grace. As such, she has been under rather close scrutiny, so her whereabouts are well-known for the most part. Few people are allowed within the Quartermasters wagon, and Kara is no exception, so it's seeming like she is above reproach. Of course that doesn't make the loss of food any less mysterious or less dire.
"as long as you don't talk about one anchor fellating someone."-TSD
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Despite the fact she is enjoying the attention of the dwarf, Cairth gets to her feet as quickly as she can, she occasionally curses her bad luck, lamenting the loss of her clothes (or she would if she knew what that meant.)

She takes the looks with her usual attitude, yet somehow something seems different, unable to place the feeling she moves on.

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Once she is sure Carith is fully back in this world, Hedra looks for Callan.

"I'm sorry I ran away after asking you a question. But I had the impression Carith needed me more at that moment.

So, here I am to ask that question again. What do you think we could do to avoid stumbling into danger again as foolishly?"
Talyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by Talyn »

Wolf is trying to keep a closer eye on Kara, but he is having problems concentrating. The hunger eating at him is unrelenting and he looks forward to the next rest stop immensely.

For the most part, he tries to keep his mind off food as best he can as he walks along with the wagons.
Stik
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Stik »

Breila wrote:Once she is sure Carith is fully back in this world, Hedra looks for Callan.

"I'm sorry I ran away after asking you a question. But I had the impression Carith needed me more at that moment.

So, here I am to ask that question again. What do you think we could do to avoid stumbling into danger again as foolishly?"
Callan rummages through his pack as he talks. "What we did was last night amateurish and sloppy. We saw a potential threat and went at it haphazardly, without a plan, without support, and without a clue.
"Make no mistake, chanter, we are at war. And you don't win a war if everyone does whatever they feel like doing.
"Next time we see a threat, we determine what that threat is, decide what to do about it, decide what kind of equipment and manpower we need in order to accomplish that goal. We make a plan, and then we deal with the problem.
"Now is when you say: 'I've heard that no plan survives contact with the enemy.' And that is right, if a plan is too complicated. But look at it this way: one definition of a plan is 'a common basis for change'. If we all know the plan, and our role in it, we will all know what to do when it comes apart.
"Here. Give this to Inky." Callan tosses Hedra the stained and wrinked tunic he wrested from the bottom of his pack.
"No matter where you go, there you are."
Breila
Grey Eminence
Grey Eminence

Post by Breila »

Hedra looks at Callan and nods. "What you are telling me is sound advice. I will ask Carson and Dorir if you can be included when we make plans. Of course plans can and sometimes must be changed, but it is foolish to go into a potential battle without one.

And thank you very much for the tunic. You are giving away something valuable. I will give it to Carith at once."

With a bow, Hedra leaves Callan and goes looking for Carith. "Look here, Carith, Callan gave me this for you. You might feel better dressed in a real garment."