Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by TristenC »

Opening the lid to the final shafr reveals a square opening about 8ft to a side. The ladder descends into darkness beyond the range of his infravision. Axid scans the area below but detects no signs of life
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha waits for the inspection results. He leans his hand on the open hatch and taps his fingers on it. Eerily and somewhat disturbing, all his undead minions follow suit tapping their fingers on whatever is near them.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid ignores the bored kender-esque halfing and reports “Scan for fresh meat is inconclusive down this way. Perhaps a minion might able to find out what is below in the other hatch.” He ceases detecting life.
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Well... if you are correct then the hatch you previously scanned leads on, while this one is uncertain. Would you all want to check first he lifeless path or seek the creatures the dwarf smelled?" Ke'Sha waits for the group decision, but won't wait too long. His mind is set to cross off dead ends, as they already faced two of these, so if decision will delay, he will rather check the last hatched they opened first, with only the exception that he no longer can cast detect traps.
====================================================================================================================
(OOC: Styrius, do you have psionic power to detect traps or danger? Does Jack skill to detect traps includes magical traps? and last question, if Ke'Sha would like to exchange Hold person or Spiritual hammer with Find traps, how long would it take?)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Doubtful there are guards at a dead end. Let's check the one without the lifeforms first."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

==========================================
(OOC: Sure. I'm waiting to see if it is possible to switch spells. 'Find traps' is very useful here. :) )
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc] No swap at this time, the party has been active for several hours today. Typically spells can only be relearned right after sleeping/resting for the night.

Rogues have half their normal chances to detect magical traps. [/ooc]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"OK. Let's check this last hatch first." As before, Jack leads trying to find traps while Ke'Sha follows about two feet behind, air walking and checking for magical radiance and uses his danger sense to stop and guide Jack if he notices anything suspicious.

==================================================================================================
(OOC: Is Nanes-II in the group as NPC? If so she has find traps. Also, why don't we all have stoneskin and phantom armor active on us?)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc nanes-Il never formally joined the game, though they were ready. The reason not everyone has stoneskin and phantom armor is because nobody prepared ebough versions of it beforehand to cover everyone. The request to give it to everyone is a very large commitment of resources that wasn't made prior to listing memorized spells for the day.

I'll wait to see if Axid or Noct have any response to magical trap detection before continuing.[Ooc]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

=============================================================
(OOC: Fair enough, although would the characters knew each other before hand, they had long time on the journey and in camp to fix everyone.
I suggest to start now and dedicate the next day to learning as much as possible assisting spells to give us some extra defenses.)
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

(OOC: Axid has no magical or psychic abilities to detect traps)
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Jack, if you please..."

===================
(OOC: So who are the adventurers? Jag, Axid, Allikhain, Jack, Landro and Ke'Sha? Not even a second thief to increase the chances :) )
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Ooc] Yep: Jag, Axid, Allikhain, Jack, Landro and Ke'Sha. Jack and Allikhain are npc's now. And actually we haven't had Landro's player online in a while either, which is a bummer. Jack is the only rogue this time around.[/ooc]

Jack begins to make his way down the square hatch, checking the rungs carefully. Being human, he is forced to take the glowing stone and use it to illuminate the area, shedding a long beam of light out of the tunnel while plunging the others into darkness.

Allikhain moves near the tunnel speaks, "Binky, be a dear and make sure there isnt any magic on the ladder for our friend here please. And no being 'naughty' and letting him trip something, you might get caught up in the blast and we dont want that..."

The strangely cartoonish shadow appears and hovers nearby with a litany of curses, grumbles and gripes as he complies. After half an hour or so Jack sends a mental message to the others. It all seems clear so far. It leads down into a tall room, maybe 40 ft high and half that to each side. One side has this huge metal door. It's carved with a battle... some kind of snake-headed giant thrashing people...

====
[Time is 11:40 AM 3rd of Reaping
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid watches as Jack descends below. He mentally replies "From the revelation of some accursed god's name in the snake mouth, a false door, and now a giant snake headed something or other, plus some unknown creatures in the other hatch, this sounds just like how I really wanted to spend my holiday. That and one of us really wants us all dead for their own ends. This just keeps getting better and betterer. For f3cks sake."
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Obviously someone likes snakes here a bit too much. And I don't think Allikhain wants us dead Axid! Stop accusing her just because she is a female!" Ke'Sha says with disgust. "Jack, check the door carefully and if you want I can come nearby to check if I get bad vibe about it, or send 'pinky' to open it. If he falls apart, I can raise him again. I could do it to you as well, but if might not feel the same..."