Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

BishGada
Viscount
Viscount
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha tries to inspect the edge of the door, searching for spaces or small bumps, then the same at the door knob and lock all the long he consult with Jack describing wat he sees and asks for suggestions.

=============================================================================
(OOC:
Wisdom [1d20]=11
BTW, Ke'Sha has still the detect traps spell and Gur's detect magic sight, if that helps.)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

The group hears Jag thinking through one of his spells verbal components.

"Ooops sorry folks. Just keeping it fresh."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

BishGada wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:47 am Ke'Sha tries to inspect the edge of the door, searching for spaces or small bumps, then the same at the door knob and lock all the long he consult with Jack describing wat he sees and asks for suggestions.

=============================================================================
(OOC:
Wisdom [1d20]=11
BTW, Ke'Sha has still the detect traps spell and Gur's detect magic sight, if that helps.)
[OOC] Noted but not necessary, as it is not a trap but in fact...[/ooc]

A False door becomes more apparent to Ke'Sha as he examines the construction. The hinges were of a solid block and not two plates as if to swing open. The gap between the top and bottom of the door itself were painfully thin, and the door lay utterly flat against the wall... all indications that likely this was designed as a temptation to lead others blindly into the traps already discovered in this room...
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Jack, back off. This is a false door. Retrace your steps carefully. I guess we will see a lot more of this, so you should stay useful." Ke'Sha quickly airwalks back the whole rooms up to the hatch they entered to. "Missed me?" he asks, his look lingers for a moment on Allakhain and then turns to his undead company. "Didn't think so..." he smiles to himself. "OK. Next hatch? We need to compensate for the lost time... Jack let's do it together as long as I can help with the traps detection. Let me scan forward before you step or touch anything." Ke'Sha walks to the next hatch on the north east area of the room and looks down, with Gur on his shoulder, using all talents combined, his native danger sense, Gur's detect magic and his detect traps ability.
==================================================================================
(OOC: I don't remember if you described what we see in the hatches already... I even thought it was in the SE until I found the map about 10 pages of posting ago. :)
Ke'Sha plans to follow Jack close and if he notice something odd in front of Jack, warn him. He himself will Airwalk to avoid touching anything as much as possible.

BTW, if anyone wants to take over the scouting or join it or split it between us, please do. I rather we play together (to the death! :twisted:) and not solo scout and regroup for fights...
)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

==========================================
Jag is having fun watch the others risk it all, as he contemplates his life choices.
Hoping to not fall for the same problem that his ancestor Jarginder did.
=========================================
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[The hatch- map is in the planning thread along with details of what has been searched so far viewtopic.php?t=3526 i will continue to add to it as we go]

Jack rolls his eyes at Ke'Shas comments but returns up through the stars and hatch to the rest of the group. Just as he does, Landro returns to his full height as his innate ability ends.

Ke'Sha also returns and moves to look down the NorthEast hatch wirh Gur at his shoulder. A ladder runs down the center of 8ft diameter shaft into darkness beyond the range of their sight. Both Ke'Sha and Gur spot one of the rungs of the ladder about 20 ft down glowing, indicating a magical trap of some kind

[Time is 10:55 am Day 1]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"All, there is a trap on the ladder about 20' down. Jack. can you check it? I can guide you to it. It's on the right rung between step 25 and 26." he says. When Jack get closer and starts to look carefully he says impatiently, "No... no... on he right! My right! You see?" and he points with his finger. "It seems a magical trap."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Jack climbs down, keeping a wary eye out. When he is close, he hooks his legs through the rungs above and flips upside-down so he can both face and work on the rung without passing or stepping on it. After a several minutes of work, he swings back upright on the ladder. That should do it! That one is disarmed...

Ke'sha can see that the rung now no longer glows as it did before, indicating the danger is neutralized

====
F/RT, chances halved for magic trap
Jack F/RT on ladder [1d100]=24
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Good... Let's move on." Ke'Sha continues following Jack close as they climbing down and he muses about Jack athletic tricks on the ladder and how would it look if Allakhain did them as well.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Jack and Ke-sha descend farther, and Ke'Sha senses his trap finding spell end. Eventually the bottom of the tunnel can be seen, but no exit... an apparent dead-end.

[Time is 11:02 AM 3rd of Reaping]
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid makes his way back up the stairs and goes over to the last hatch he opened ["D"] and thinks about this shaft. He decides to try "Detect Life". He concentrates on the area below opposite the ladder in the shaft. He scans for three turns.
[1d20]=13 Power score: Int-2, Success! Range 100 yards.
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Another trapped dead end! Let's go back." Ke'Sha says plainly. "Well, the builder here was thorough with the traps..."
When they rejoin Ke'Sha notice Axid skips a hatch, but the order doesn't matter and it seems the dwarf is helping. "You want us to wait here, let Jack lead, or you lead and I'll follow you close to give warnings? The find traps spell has ended but I can sense danger and magic." Ke'Sha asks the dwarf.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid raises a fist in a "hold" position as he concentrates but does reply "Give me a moment, I'm attempting to find any sign of life in this next area below. There has to be something around here."
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"We do have a lot of undead around here... So... something to consider." Ke'Sha remarks and roll his eyes.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Axid peers down into darkness beyond the range of his infravision, but his mental senses penetrate beyond the gloom... at first there is nothing, then for a moment the sense of a living thing... then a second before they both pass out of his field of mental detection...

====
Axid would know that the stone walls of the tunnel would prevent reading, similar to shining light down a long tube, he will only be able to detect something in direct line with the tunnel for the most part.