Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

A classic 2e Puzzle dungeon for High Level characters
Beware, this one is substantially longer and (IMHO) even harder than the legendary Tomb of Horrors!

Moderator: TristenC

chris107
Peasant
Peasant
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Brink [of Madness] Act 1, Scene 1

Post by chris107 »

Nocturno wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:25 pm "Are the fellows down the hole tied off?" Jag mentally communicates.
Jack tentatively sends thoughts directly from his brain. He’s happy not to be encumbered by a rope while he explores but would be very grateful if one could be left dangling should he have to make a swift exit.

Shining the meagre, pallid beam of his lantern before him he creeps towards the arch as silently as the underfoot bones will allow.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Anything of note yet? Nothing has changed up here."
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Allikhain smirks at Ke'Sha's reaction. It Doesn't work like that. It only projects what you want, and it doesn't flood you with other people's random thoughts without their concentration... Even so... keep your itchy hands to yourself. she grins.

With no response from Braiden, Allikhain bestows the essence of Telepathic communication on Axid as well. As a well-versed Psionicist he notes that this is a 'free connection' that he needs spend no mental energy on, but may effortlessly connect (no psi points spent) to the others in the group.

Ke'Sha places his palm to the imprint on the giant Snake's snout. Suddenly the Stone Snake's mouth snaps open like a viper about to strike!!!
... Catastrophe fails to befall the grungy halfling as the following seconds reveal only a dark empty space within the statue's head...

Jack eschews attaching the rope based on his own long-lived experience and carefully creeps onward. Scouting the archway he finds a stairwell that funnels down into the darkness within a 30 foot diameter pit. Allikhain passes the continual light stone to Landon and Jack as well, for the option of more light beyond the lantern. The Spiral stair boasts no railing and winds down around a single central pillar; leaving a generous gap on all sides to the unmeasured fall below... The pit descends beyond the range of the lights.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Acid almost recoils from the egg but allows it to happen. He feels the odd magic flow and sends a “Thank you”.
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha quickly takes his hand back and takes a step backward still holding the dwarf, the moment the statue moves. After recovering from the surprise he takes back his position near the hand mark, and puts his palm back. Assuming having the same result he says, "Fascinating... what craftmanship to have such a huge construction move so swiftly... So... DwaaaAxid" he corrects himself "I touched it, and we said we will check it together, so maybe you want to look inside?" he flashes again his perfect teeth and raises his eyebrows believing it is a inviting gesture.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Startled Jag thinks some four letter words. Hoping he didn't transmit them.

"Well of course I said that, and the Halfling almost gets eaten."

He will look into the mouth if he can from his vantage.
chris107
Peasant
Peasant

Post by chris107 »

Tucking the light-coin into a deep pocket Jack sets the lantern down near the top of the spiral stairs.
He strains to hear any sounds from below and if all is quiet he will begin his examination of the staircase. Checking the treads and risers for any pressure plates or possible moving pieces that could indicate a trap.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

'Hmm... why Jag answered my request instead of Axid? It must be this spell the witch casted on us... mixing all thoughts and speech. He eyes Allakhain for a moment, appreciating her strategy, but disrespecting her for believing she could fool him too. But in the end, it doesn't matter which tool will die first, he will be there to make good use of the remains.
With that subject solved, Ke'Sha casts his thoughts to the guys exploring the lower levels, "Want me to send skinny to help you?"
Rainshadow
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Rainshadow »

Landro decides to stay at 6-feet-tall, opting to let the effect wear off on its own unless he needs to be big again.
He grips his sword and watches the corners and shadows for signs of foes.
Styrius
Peddler
Peddler

Post by Styrius »

Axid looks Ke'sha as Ke'sha attempts a half-cheesy smile. "Yes, you and I will explore this contraption but then we will explore the last hatch I opened. Look for symbols and such as we saw coming into this place. I believe all would be better served searching for those instead of trying to gain unwilling 'followers'."
You are talkin' to the holy symbol wearing,
Ruby ring wearing, kiss stealing; Woo!
Praying/healing, beholder riding, griffin flying
Son of a blowgun, and I'm having a hard time holding these Aboleth shoes down! WOO!
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Willing, unwilling, as far as they know to follow simple orders, they will serve." Ke'Sha is so happy that finally someone understands him. And hear it coming from the grumpy dwarf of all people around! Then he gestures to the open mouth of the snake, "After you..."
====================================================================
(OOC: How big is the mouth opened? And if someone can enter there and Ke'Sha removes his hand from the head, will it close on the person inside? *evil grin* )
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Jack listens at the top of the new stairwell, but hears naught below but silence. He then carefully begins examining the stairs and checking them for traps, as Landro keeps a steady watch for any signs of danger. The progress is slow, but after 10 minutes or so he has progressed about 10 feet down the stairwell relatively certain there are no traps. [I'll call it 1 ft per stair if he wants to check each step for traps, but it will take a while to descend that way]

Jag, Axid and Ke'Sha inspect the now-open snake head, finding the space inside at least 10 feet high and 10 feet wide. It seems to go nowhere in the dark, though it takes up most of the interior of the snake head statue. On the roof of the Snake-head's mouth is engraved one word in a stylistic lettering...
Vytholus
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Ke'Sha tries to remember if this name means something to him. "Allakhain, do you have another pebble with light on? I'd hate to put there a torch and dirty this fine carvings with the smoke. By the way does this word or name means anything to any of you?"
============================================================================
(OOC: Ke'Sha will try to remember if he ever crossed this name in his studies or other readings.)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Jag will stay 5 paces away from the 2 looking into the head, but will try to see in.

Assume mental communication unless I specify at this point.
"Vytholus, mean anything to anyone?"
===================
Does it mean anything to Jag?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Nocturno wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:08 am Jag will stay 5 paces away from the 2 looking into the head, but will try to see in.

Assume mental communication unless I specify at this point.
"Vytholus, mean anything to anyone?"
===================
Does it mean anything to Jag?
[Ooc]
Religion nwp check at -4 to see if the name rings a bell.
As in roll your target score -4 or lower. Jag's religion score is 17 so he needs a 13 or lower for a successful check.
[/ooc]