Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 3 Scene 1: Arrivals and Leavetakings

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 3 Scene 1: Arrivals and Leavetakings

Post by Jenara »

Mira shakes her head, fighting the urge to say something. Her theory was, she suspected true.

"Come on." She calls, hoping Sabrina was safe as she leaves.
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Revenant
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Revenant »

Esker Manyblades

"He seems very inexperienced. I noticed him right away. I will let him think I didn't see him though," as he makes his purchase. "Back to the inn then madame?" he says to Del.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Quietly: :Hold on just a moment." Pyros grabs the mustard container and puts a smear on his nose.

He will level a deadly glare at the rude bartender. Gregor is no longtime friend yet, but he has been friendly, and this bartender sure has suspicions about him...

After a good 5 second stare down, which should be quite obvious, he will follow Mira's lead, and even wave to Sabrina if he sees her.
Last edited by Nocturno on Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregor
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Gregor »

Gregor joins Mira and Pyros exiting the inn, troubled by the recent encounter with the bartender. Once well underway, he glances over his shoulder and whispers quietly to the two, His strength were unnatural as were the eyes. I'm no even sure he's human. Sighing he tries to convince himself the information gained was worth the experience.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The broken Wheel: (Cross, Iscind, Karl, Elsa, Del, Esker)
Del and Esker return from their short excursion to Lower Skald. The tail falls away somewhere near the Broken Wheel. As the pair enter they find Iscind, Karl, Cross and Elsa discussing some kind of ambush plans.

The Old Kartakann Inn: (Gregor, Pyros, Mira)
Pyros applies the mustard to his nose and stares at Ledalar, who laughs; miming applying mustard to his own nose. The ritual seems not to reveal anything unusual to Pyros' sight, but then he recalls it is only supposed to work beneath the light of the full moon...

As they are leaving, Gregor shares his insight regarding Ledalar's strength and eyes...

As Mira leads them across the shaky bridge north over the bubbling waters of 'the cauldron' it occurs to her for perhaps the first nime that this is the only route out of town to the North that does not have a toll house...

The area beyond is something of a shantytown. Most of the buildings have a tumble-down look about them, with many being in obvious need of some repair. Even the trees have been taken over, with many supporting shacks and other small wooden structures. The entire area seems strangely deserted and quiet.

One of the more interesting features of this area is its flora. Thin, twisting vines dominate every un-travelled area (and several travelled ones); their tendrils taking hold of every piece of upright timber they can find. Each plant sprouts a few small flowers and a number of berry clusters. The flowers lend a sickly-sweet, almost overwhelming odor to the already humid air.

The normal background noises of a town are lost here, for the thunderous roar of the cascades that pour into the Cauldron mute all but the sharpest of sounds. The mist from the falls makes the air thick and muggy. Dark spots on the soil look like they could be anything from spilt wine to dried blood.

All in all, it is not surprising that the distinct feeling that someone is watching follows the trio's every move.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Mira doesn't say anything for a while, raising her hand gently to silence the others, as she enters the vines..

"I read this book, all about Savage Beasts. I think he's one of them. I was trying to connect the pieces but I'm not clever enough. I think.." she glances aware they were being watched.. "I wish Art was here, he could have checked that out." She squrims up her face in thought. "There is a connection. Something.. later. When we are safe.. important things, we are the strangers here, there are things that can hurt us greatly. We stay doing what they expect. I sing songs, it keeps a roof over our heads.." she falls silent, kneeling by the dark spots do they look like a trail?
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

When Mira kneels Pyros goes on alert.
"I've got the perimeter."

Comically looking around to some. But Pyros will have his eyes and ears open as best he can.
Gregor
Vagabond
Vagabond

Post by Gregor »

Gregor glances around apprehensively maintaining alertness and observant to any potential dangers. Mayhaps our new woodsmen acquaintances could tell us more about them drops. Are these the wine berries? Gregor drops to his knee quickly to examine his boot and grabs a sample of the soiled soil in the process. Should we be on our way?, Gregor asks nervously and then adds, and who's Art?
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The Old Shacks: (Gregor, Pyros, Mira)
Some of the dark stains are more concentrated farther into the bushes, almost like a trail but more like the stains just seem to be more common in those areas.

Gregor scoops up a small portion of the stained dirt nearby (what does he want to put it in?). Examining the berries, they look like they are definitely not ripe but might plump when ready into something that could be made into wine. Based on the other conversations, it seems pretty clear these are the Meekulbrau berries.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"Artanis, he's a Ranger, and a Redhead like me.. we didn't get along because he thought I was a 'Lady of the Night'.. It was quite.. strange." She moves into the bushes slightly, where the drops are concentrated. Careful as much as she can not to disturb the soil.

To her untrained eyes does it look like the soil has been disturbed?

Borderlands 3 - Navi
Revenant
Peasant
Peasant

Post by Revenant »

Esker Manyblades

Re-enters the inn, wondering if the boy is so foolish as to follow us in. Hearing a snippet of the conversation, he takes a seat beside Iscind, "Someone planning an ambush?" He looks to Iscind quizzically, "Why that's my favorite type of bush."
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

If Pyros doesn't hear anything he wants to get to tracking. To see if there any tracks from non group members.

Still listening however, even if that slows tracking progress.
Last edited by Nocturno on Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
tarlyn
Freeman
Freeman

Post by tarlyn »

Del follows Esker inside. She'll tap him on the shoulder "Esker, that boy won't follow us in, he was basically sent to spy

on us, do nothing untowards to us, He is gone now,"
she talks in a low voice to him as he speaks to the others.

She smirks at his words to the others but says nothing. She will look around, observing only, listening if she can.

[ooc]
Detect Noise roll [1d100]=42[/ooc]
"Killing means never having to say you're sorry"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The Old Shacks: (Gregor, Pyros, Mira)
Mira and Pyros both inspect the ground but don't see any sign of disturbance aside from the odd staining. The staining is heavier farther into the tangled brush. [How far in do they want to go?]

This cluster of bushes is extensive and there are many other such patches.

[The area 14 on the map depicts acres of bushes. The trio is currently in the patch near where the #14 is printed. This area is more than 200 yards from the bridge to the intersection]

The Broken Wheel: (Cross, Iscind, Karl, Elsa, Del, Esker)
As the others arrive Elsa fills them in. It seems the killer in town may be after Jerry. All of the victims resemble her somewhat, and of course the last was killed right outside here. The pretty halfling's expression turns sad a moment, but then determined. We actually had met the last, she was one of Mira's fans. And we were discussing a plan to...

The cleric's words are cut off abruptly as the front door to the inn slams open loudly to admit a pair of locals. The first is a jet-black haired young man, likely no more than a year or two past twenty, with violet eyes that burn now with an unbridled fury only youth can breed. Behind him a young lady with long ebon locks and violet eyes, with a puffiness and hollow gaze to them that speaks of obvious anguish, follows tentatively.

The young man scans the group, obviously not recognizing most of them. Those eyes fix on the two familiar faces of Cross and Elsa, but he speaks in Elven. Who did it... his hands tighten into white-knuckled fists with a crackling sound. Who killed her...

Elsa stammers at the entrance, shock and compassion on her face. Oh Airand... I'm so sorry...

The young man's head whips back and forth between the others, perhaps searching for someone who knows, or someone responsible...

[Cross will translate to common for anyone who doesn't speak Elven]

====
not my artwork

Airand Lucroy

Azais Brodeur
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros sticks with Mira to make sure nothing sneaks up on them.