Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

The (Original!) Tomb of Horrors!!!
S1 by the great Gygax 1978. Everything adapted to 2e. This is NOT the Return to ToH written for 2e

Labyrinth of Madness!!! Previously Concluded (by TPK)
S6 by Monte Cook from 1995. Designed for 2e. IMHO this one is the tougher of the two, but not by much.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

Post by TristenC »

The walls of the pit are like the hallway walls (climb check required). Walking among the spikes would be a little tight, but possible
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Completely disappointed Galan shrugs and says to the few left in the room, "Well, it was fun, but let's not keep ACERERAK waiting for us too long." and joins with everyone to those at the pit. "I can fly you off to the other side... One at a time. did you check for traps at the ceiling or the walls?"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Bryce shakes his head, I checked right up to the edge as much as i have any other hallway up to this point, but seeing as how I haven't climbed into it yet and can't fly; I haven't checked the ceiling or walls of the pit.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"OK. I'll make a quick check and if anyone wishes, fly him over... Unless you want to search the bottom of the pit?"
Galan asks, use his boots to fly and search for traps and secret levers on the walls and ceiling surrounding the pit, and giving the group time to think how they want to pass the pit while he is searching.

================================================================================
(OOC: Search stuff is 1d6? [1d6]=4)
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"This key, hope it is useful somewhere." Van will stay in the room out of the hallway.

If there any sections of wall he has not inspected personally he will start looking for doors.

============================================================
At least he potentially has something to do while waiting this time.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[can you be more specific about where Galan is searching and in what order? North Wall above the pit? South Wall above the pit? Fill length of the pit ceiling? It will take about 30 mins to execute just those 3]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

========================================
(OOC: Wow! So much time? Well he just wants to check that it is safe to fly people accross the pit so maybe he will fly up and right of the pit and just check the path to cross the pit.
But once again, there might be benefit to climb down the pit and search it's ground, either for passage, secrets or treasure... We need to have a group decision regarding that.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

===
yeah, searching for aecred doors is 10 mins for a 10x20 area of very plain wall (few features). The pit is 20 ft long so north wall above the pit is one 10 min check, south wall is one ten min check, ceiling is ine ten min check.

If you are searching for traps, remember that Galan has no skill with that, so unless they are obvious he will not find them.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

========================================
(OOC: I understand, but there is not much response... so that's the only thing I can come up with.
If the party wants to search the pit bottom I guess they will use the ladder/rope as usual...)
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

We can maybe do the same as before. Go down in the pit and start to hammerimg the spikes.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Well people, it would be best if you just lower the ladder as done in the other pits and check down there if we missed something. I'll back you up from here." While the team lower themselves to the pit, Galan continues checking the ceiling above them to make sure they won't be crushed or something...

=====================================================================================
(OOC: I think we agree we can move on.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Observing the spikes from the edge of the pit above, the party can see that the spacing of them is easy enough to walk around, and interestingly these do not seem to have any poisonous goop encrusted on their points.

As the others consider their options and Galan flies the length of the pit and finds no traps on the North wall, he begins his search of the ceiling.

[Galan is searching the ceiling for the next 10 mins, what is everyone else doing?]
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Absent mindedly Van will just search walls and floors as the stays in a separate area of the rest.
===================================================================
At least around the corner from them if I remember the map right.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

after another 20 mins Galan finishes searching the walls and ceiling above the pit and finds nothing. Van's search near the pit from ground level likewise reveals nothing
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Van, I suggest I'll fly down the pit to check if there is a passage there. If not I'll fly you one by one above the pit and we can push on... We don't want Acererak to think we left without giving our thanks for his hospitality in person, right?" he winks, and flies down the pit to search it.