Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

The (Original!) Tomb of Horrors!!!
S1 by the great Gygax 1978. Everything adapted to 2e. This is NOT the Return to ToH written for 2e

Labyrinth of Madness!!! Previously Concluded (by TPK)
S6 by Monte Cook from 1995. Designed for 2e. IMHO this one is the tougher of the two, but not by much.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: The Heart of Darkness... [Main Game Thread]

Post by TristenC »

[the gas would be above any of their heads if they fully descended the stairway leading West. Currently it is at floor level to where Bryce is standing on the map.]
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

"Don't go head forth there Zafron." Galan holds his arm. "Let try first to get some sense of the danger and verify if we can avoid the gas or eliminate it altogether. Also, try to check for hidden levers or loose stones on the walls near the first few stones."

=============================================
(OOC: Currently Galan is with the group just reacting to what was said. Is it a tunnel going down or the floor goes down while the ceiling keeps it's level? If it is the latter Galan can easily fly above the gas, but might still inhale some fumes. I think he can even carry group members one by one. Also, does this gas remind us something we know about it? All the dwarves here are familiar with natural gases that might appear in mines. Does anyone have some natural or "at will" talent to detect magic? If not, Faladair can check if the gas has magic radiance and then we can dispel magic. Also, both Faladair and Galan has fire based memorized spells that can try to burn the gas, and Galan can use disintegrate as well. Galan can also polymorph to some winged creature and then create gust of wind with the wings or again, fly above the gas. Although these are somewhat expensive spells if there is a simpler solution such as hidden level that opens some ventilation tunnel and the gas dissipate away...)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

====
It looks like Zafron already moved forward to the landing above the gas, stopping before going into the gas. Is Galan holding his arm to prevent him moving to the landing above the gas, or only to prevent him from moving into the gas?

You say Galan is with the group but which part? The group is split up a bit right now. If he wants to be able to hear and communicate with Zafron and Bryce he needs to at least go down to the secret door or first landing; otherwise it is like they are shouting to hear each other 40 ft away, through a narrow secret door and up out of a 10 ft deep pit.

The dwarves will not recognize the gas as naturally occurring.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Van will have worked his way to the pit, but not through the secret door. Able to speak at Bryce without yelling.

"I like the idea of seeing if there is a release. Don't do anything foolish yet Brothers. Let's see if there are controls." He will hesitantly step through the secret door, and start searching the walls. Starting on the landing at the top.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[What search method is he using? Dwarven search for sliding stone/etc? Stonework traps? looking for secret doors?]
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

He will use the Dwarven Ability. I think he has had the most luck with that in his life? ie: It has the best chance to work?
===========================================
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Van searches a few minutes for any shifting stonework as Zafron did but finds nothing unusual
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

"What spells do you all have that might be able to deal with gas?" says Zafron looking back at the spell casters.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Van will continue down the hall/stairs searching for shifting stone, looking for a handle or lever.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

When the question is passed back to the other casters, Elidyr speaks up. I have a spell to Filter toxins from gasses within 10 feet of the subject, but I have not prepared it for today. As early as it still is this morning, it would be quite some time before I could rest and memorize it... If it is a poison, perhaps one of the divine users could protect against that?

Van takes a few minutes to search the wall for levers or sliding stonework, but finds nothing.
BishGada
Viscount
Viscount

Post by BishGada »

Faladair coughs a bit to get attention and says quietly, "With the blessing my patron I may be able to neutralize poisons. But if no one objects I'd rather check first for signs of magic radiation from the cloud."

Galan takes his flute in his hands, "My old good and careful friend. It is good to have you with us. While we focus on the blockage ahead, one of us should watch our backs so we are not trapped between hostile force and the gas." He then put the flute to his lips and plays a tune of sneaking and careful examination. (OOC: Dr. Gadget style)

==================================================
(OOC: Faladair casts detect magic and examine the gaseous cloud. Galan plays bardic inspiration hopefully drawing some luck for any examination the group does.)
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

[Hahaha, nice. I can hear it now]

Faldair grins at his old friend and descends to the fore. The stalwart cleric prays for divine aid and examines the cloud. He shakes his head, No... not magical... It might have been generated by magic, but it doesn't beed it to remain... What else do you want me to look at? This will last snother 9 minutes or so. he asks
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"Maybe help me with the walls? Could there be a magical portal to evacuate the gas if the rightful person wants to get by?"
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Faldair nods and begins with the walls near the gas. He slowly scans the north wall, then the south, then looks back to the hallway before the bend. Well well... He walks half way up the stairs and points to the East wall. There is a tiny spot on the wall, no bigger than a silver piece, right here...
counterkid
Knight
Knight

Post by counterkid »

OCC: Tristen can you put a new map with the spot in question?