Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thread)

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

Nocturno
King
King
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thre

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros puts the bone back in, and peers down the shaft.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

Turning to those around him Karl coughs slightly.

"Perhaps, we should follow? I am somewhat concerned that our companions have taken some time. Lady, do you wish to stay with me? I can protect you if you stay at my side." He bows.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Bonepile room: Pyros, Mira, Jerry, Elsa (Merrick, Cross, Pytor, Adrestia in hall outside)
Elsa just shakes her head at the antics and passes a long-suffering look to Mira. The Kender attempts to peer down into the shaft, but the bones fill it much too thickly for him to see more than a few inches. It appears to be a straight shaft, full of many old bones. The smoke still rises gently, but not enough to make it difficult to breathe.

Entrance: Jerrard, Tarlyn, Adran, Artanis
Artanis nods, I hesitate to leave them to their own devices for too long. Pyros in particular has a... curious spirit. As a group they are capable, but sometimes a bit reckless. He glances to Tarlyn.

The woman stands before the knight. Sir knight, I do not wish your brave allies to be in danger you could prevent. Would you permit me to stay with your steed just here in the entrance? We would be shielded from view, and surely he could outrun any threat from outside. I know he is precious to you, but he would be at least as protected here in the entrance if we were not discovered. She curtsies
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry eyes the shaft of bones, "Do you think it might lead anywhere if we emptied it out?"
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"I believe that is the best what is a less than ideal situation." He stares at the void, steeling himself to remove his armor. "Bayard will protect you, rest assured. Hold that dagger close." That done he prepares to remove his getting ready so he can pull it behind him.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Entrance: Jerrard, Tarlyn, Adran, Artanis
Tarlyn gives another curtsy and thanks the knight. Artanis helps remove the bulkier items of Sir karl's armor, if allowed, before sir Karl descends to the Sandy floor. The narrow crawl space leading away from the pit bears jagged rocks and gritty stone floor. Artanis passes the armor bundle down and prepares to follow.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Does the smoke have a smell? IE Flesh, bone, wood, applewood smoked bacon?
The light went out when he removed the bone right?
==============================================================

Pyros takes a whiff of the smoke.

============================================================

Cross will enter the bone room, and see if he can recognize any none humanoid bones or interest.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Nocturno wrote:Does the smoke have a smell? IE Flesh, bone, wood, applewood smoked bacon?
The light went out when he removed the bone right?
==============================================================

Pyros takes a whiff of the smoke.

============================================================

Cross will enter the bone room, and see if he can recognize any none humanoid bones or interest.
===
-faintly sulfrous smell
-yes light went out when he moved a bone
-the bones are a mix of humanoid and animal bones of many different sizes and species
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"It smells like that time Farmer Jenkins died and no one harvested his chickens eggs for a month.."
Pyros walks away.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Not sure if there are too many to bury. What do you think?" asks Jerry.

She tries a Mystran prayer to allow souls to rest.

======
@Tristen - Apart from the fact that there are numerous bones here, does anything here nudge Jerry's Undead Hunter training?
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

"What the hell is this place? Bones, too many bones.. are these the people they have killed? This place, its all about.. I'm trapped in a bloody nightmare." She gives Jerry and Elsa a look of confusion. "Any ideas?"
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"Thank you." Karl gives a small salute to the Ranger and crawls through the narrow confines, trying to hide the indignity he reminds himself why he is doing this.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Bonepile room: Pyros, Mira, Jerry, Elsa (Merrick, Cross, Pytor, Adrestia in hall outside)
Elsa shakes her head. There's no telling how deep that goes without digging them out... it could lead somewhere or nowhere. I don't like it. As for burying them... I wouldn't know where to begin; they seem all jumbled up. There are definitely human bones in there; adults... children... Look, and that one is a squirrel leg... i had a pet squirrel once and we buried him in the field but then farmer Turner went to plow it and we found the bits of him. she makes a distasteful face. I think a prayer is the best we can do.

Jerry calls upon her goddess. Once again, ever as it has been in this dark land, it feels as if she is trying to talk to someone beyond a heavy curtain that stifles sound. Only now, in this wretched cavern, it feels as if the curtain is soaked... laden with a grimy oil slick. She can't help but sense that merely reaching out to her goddess has somehow tainted her in some unknowable way... Elsa prays as well, a mixture of confusion and disgust playing over her features as she beseeches the Provider to care for the lost. Nothing in this situation seems related to anything specific in Jerry's training.

Merrick moves curiously into the room, watching the others and the pile with some minor trepidation. Find anything useful? If we're at a dead-en... um... lack for progress here, there are still the two other passages.

Elsa shakes her head sadly at Jerry and Mira's last questions. It could be the bones of things that have died in these caves... it seems too random to be an intentional collection but... who knows. I'm betting only that old Hag had any idea what goes on here. She had a real 'queen of the undead' thing going. But whatever it was, at least she won't be doing it any more. the pretty halfling finishes grimly.

The Bone Bridge: Jerrard, Adran, Artanis
The brave knight snake-crawls through the narrow passage, dragging his armor and surcoat behind. Seldom were the situations that demanded such, but the path was clear. Protecting others came first, and so he went where he was needed. The darkness of the passage in that damp, haunting place gave way to a pale bluish glow as he emerged into the chamber beyond. An aged leg-bone seems jammed into a crevice in the wall nearby, almost like a lever; but a different bone soon drew his attention away. A gulf of rolling lambent mist stretched beneath a single massive bone set like an arched bridge from his side to a ledge beyond. Past that he can only see the end of another passing out of sight behind some of the natural cavern wall.

Dusting the grit and sand of the cave proves no real trouble, and he is able to unwrap his armor and surcoat bundle to see that at least the outer part of the coat remains untarnished for the most part. Soon Artanis emerges as well and takes in the area before them. Moving to within 5 feet of the edge he looks down into the mist, magical sword drawn. A rustling in the passage behind indicates that Adran too is following.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry wonders, "Could this have been an altar, do you think? If so, can we deconsecrate it?"

======
Religion 14, if relevant..
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros will head to the crossroads then head towards the bigger hallway to the right.

Being careful with his steps, and looking up perodically.(IE checking for traps)

===============================

"Didn't he say it was glowing?"