Your #1 Source for online D&D gaming!

Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thread)

A 2E game set in the mysterious realm of Ravenloft.

Moderator: TristenC

TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal
http://www.ibro.pl/blog/najlepsza-oferta-na-kuchnie-na-wymiar-w-warszawie/

Re: Act 2 Scene 5: "Cavern of the Crown of Souls" (Game Thre

Post by TristenC »

Jerry attempts an alteration cantrip on the cool mist following Tarlyn, but it does little else but make the cool mist colder.

The knight reminisces about the mobilization of heavy stones, at this point quite sound in theory among his society.
Pytor pulls the broken hammer haft from the webbing nearby and raises it. The nearest trees were a half-mile back, aside from that one huge oak in the canyon. I think something like this is the thickest we've got... unless you magickers, he looks to the casters in the group, have some twinkly trick up your collective sleeves? he finishes with the barest flicker of optimism.

Merrick ponders the conundrum. Well, his theory is sound... it needn't be wood, per se... If we had something round like a bar, it could be stone, or steel or anything capable of bearing the weight of a slab like this. He pauses, deep in thought for a moment. Alternatively if we had something quite strong and pointed, perhaps we could drop it on a stress concentrator... um, like a spike you know? Where it would be more likely that the falling slab would break itself upon. Then the smaller sections would be quite a lot easier to move, I imagine...

Pyros begins searching the webby room, but finds little more than stringy vines of magical webbery and dangling corpses. his free hand fiddles idly in one his pouches, but suddenly something within sticks painfully into his wrist!!!
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Maybe the metalwork we've just been manipulating would do for the spikes. For rollers, would the bones do? Maybe from the rbrdge in the other chamber?" suggests Jerry before realising anything about Pyros's wrist.
Last edited by Chris1234 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

"YYYYEEEEEEOOOOOWWWWW" He hollers.

Pulling his hand out to see what happened.
thawizkid
Peddler
Peddler

Post by thawizkid »

Responding to Pytor's question Adran said My magic training has been more about defeating my enemy. As of right now, I can only cast magic missiles or a web spell. Adran will start to look around for any objects that could be of use for the task ahead of them...
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

The 3 spikes Jerry had altered are able to be pried free, and she now has 3 metal rods about 3/4" diameter and 6" long, with one pointed end. Pytor adds his two spikes to the pile. The uneven nature of the natural cave seems to suggest that these metal pieces might not be sufficient to roll the slab.

Adran considers the stone, but considers his spells unhelpful and so looks about. There are a few small stones nearby, but not many and none very large or round for rolling. Elsa suddenly brightens up. I can ask for a prayer to shape the stone in some way... i won't be able to do it until tomorrow though, but if i can affect a portion of the slab we might be able to break it up or move it better.

Just then Pyros cries out in pain! Pulling his hand out of his pocket, he finds the thorny bracelet that had been left in the other room! The spiky thorns dig deeply into the flesh of his wrist as it fits tight around him. A little blood leaks out where the thorns penetrate, and the black vine-like parts from which the thorns sprout begins the turn a deep purplish color, almost pulsing with his heartbeat...
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

Jerry echoes back to Elsa, "Tomorrow I could do 'Soften Earth and Stone' but that only works on natural, undressed stone, so probably not much help. For now, can we help Tarlyn get further away from the block? See if it weakes the effect."

At Pyros's cry the Mystran turns and sees the spiky thorns, "If you left that in the other chamber then I judge that thing's cursed. The thorns, obviously. Not much I can do with that, unfortunately. Anyone able to help with it?"

If Tarlyn seeks to be weakening [losing HP] then Jerry will try Cure Light Wounds on her.
Jenara
Elven Princess
Elven Princess

Post by Jenara »

Mira stays at Tarlyns side, soothing her as best she can, "Its going to be ok, I promise, they'll work this out."
" Kid never learned to clear a room. Doors and corners, I told him. Doors and corners."

Demiplane of Dread - Mira Human Bard (Searching for the Crown)
Genwald - Nesserrr (Katten) Feliz Ranger (Going Solo..)
- Stardust (Jade) Pixie Warlock (Seeking answers)
Borderlands 3 - Navi
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"A stress point? Like finding a weakness in armor? Hmmm." This thing HAD to be destroyed, his honor demanded that this woman would NOT Be left behind, these people should have left things alone. This was evil.

"If we break it, surely that would release whatever foulness that sits on it." Taking his mace and one of the bars he attempts to strike into the stone.
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"Oh! Just like cutting a gemstone. Same principle anyway. How clever!" comments Jerry appreciatively.
thawizkid
Peddler
Peddler

Post by thawizkid »

Responding to Pyros' agony, Adran says I can try and cut that thing a part in a few different places with my quill knife? Or if someone else has more training than I, they can borrow my knife....
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros stares at it. Slowing himself down. Intently staring at the thorn as it presses in.

He will observe it, only being snapped out of it if someone else approaches him.
TristenC
Initiate Immortal
Initiate Immortal

Post by TristenC »

Mira calms the distraught woman, who holds her about the shoulders, watching the others with tempered hope as they inspect the stone.

Sir Karl takes one of the spikes and begins to hammer away at it as he tries to drive it into the stone. After a half-dozen heavy blows in the same spot, a tiny fleck, smaller than half a copper piece flakes off.

I think you're right, Jerry. It is definitely not a naturally shaped stone, so I don't think that particular prayer would work on it.

Pyros stares at the thorny band upon his wrist. Some of the spiky protrusions are definitely digging hard beneath his skin and into the flesh, but only a tiny amount of blood can be seen. The sharp initial pain slowly becomes more of a dull throb. Jerry makes her comment about the band, and Merrick smirks a little, Indeed, we left it. But Kender are quite infamous for 'acquiring' things, perhaps without even realizing it themselves... but I agree, it does seem to be cursed. Most cursed items don't like to relinquish their hold on their new 'owners'... quite curious.

Adran takes out his small and sharp quill knife and approaches Pyros, who snaps out of his staring a little. Carefully he tries to cut a small slice of one of the thorny, vine-like wraps around the Kender's wrist. The sharp blade drags on the hard strand as if he were cutting seasoned hickory with a flexible quality to it. The sharp knife leaves nary a mark on the band...

====
Pyros has experienced no loss of hps so far from the item
Nocturno
King
King

Post by Nocturno »

Pyros shakes his head, then his hand.

Other than the throbbing thorn in his wrist. Does he feel anything else different?
Chris1234
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Chris1234 »

"So, can we get Tarlyn down the ledge to the floor below? Not sure she should climb, so can someone carry her down? Or lower her on looped rope? I'm sure you big, strong fellows can manage that without too much trouble," proposes Jerry. "Um, Mira, would you translate for her, please?" She rejoins Merrick, "This block, the whole set up, is evil beyond anything I've encountered." She rubs his arm. "I wasn't meaning to ignore you. Just I got busy, you know?"

She looks to be amonst those who descend ready to recieve Tarlyn.

======
Afterthought, would Jerry's expertise in Herbalism grant her any insight into the thorny thing troubling Pyros?
Last edited by Chris1234 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerrard
Baronet
Baronet

Post by Jerrard »

"I will of course assist the Lady. It would be an honor. But, I suggest that we move the stone out there, and allow the Good Lady and Lady Mira to remain here." His attention was clearly on the stone, and not the Kender, his sense of honor firmly fixed on aiding the Lady at hand. "Perhaps you might be able to aid your Friend Pyros?" He suggests casually, perhaps trying to distract the Young Woman.